All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. figuring out that you can use slingshot doesn't require much thought and isn't hard to do so it isn't fun imo she gets less disadvantages from using it and that still isn't a glass cannon, another character being able to tank an infinite amount of hits won't make a character that can tank 100 hits a glass cannon the point was that it's nearly worthless, since if you're good at the game, you're probably only going to use it for aggroing/killing stuff that doesn't attack on it's own and tries to get away from you
  3. We can all kill bosses normally, no noobs on this forum . Its just fun to do it a different way. Ruins has all you need for thulecite rounds and the double trouble. So u can come straight back up with a thulecite club/mag to kill bee queen. Worth it for Walter players. Wanda is a glass cannon compared to the rest of the roster. Wolfgang with marble suit can get hit 40 times before dying. 7 hits is definitely glass cannon territory and thats using the strongest defence armour in the game. It does exactly what it needs to do as a niche support tool. But you are right, Slingshot is a side perk. Big woby and wobys inventory is the real reason experienced players use Walter. Woby has always been Walter main and best perk.
  4. Honestly the safety isn't worth the tradeoff in dps and time. DST has tankier bosses anyways so fights with Walter feel drawn out. If anything you're forced to play safely since there's no reward to playing up close, giving Walter a really low skill ceiling, or lower than it could be. Also, other characters can just use decent armor and healing to play with a lot of security while not taking twice the time. There also isn't enough utility in the slingshot to justify the dps. Ice rounds, shadow tentacles, and poop rounds are too niche. Also the dps should just be raised since lower dps characters in this game doesn't necessarily mean more skilled or harder(but it does), it just feels like more resources and longer fights. And Walter already has a lower dps than the characters with -25% damage with decent mid-early game items.
  5. The reality of almost everything happening due to this skill tree shenanigans is that Klei wanted to promote a variety of playstyles using the same character, but they failed extra hard. As I said in some posts before, what other choices can Wilson players choose to be relevant in both solo and multiplayer? The torch tree sucks as a whole. The transmutation tree is basically QoL stuff, which I don't mind (I greatly use the twig-log and meat-morsel transmutes). The beard perks are fine too, I love the beard storage. The affinity perks are basically more transmutes plus 10% more damage to opposing side and 10% more defense. The affinity perks are the only "combat-wise" perk Wilson can have and even then it kinda stinks. With the whole skill trees going on right now, especially with the next update possibly going to be skill trees and ocean content, I'm starting to feel not so optimistic over what Klei is planning whatsoever.
  6. I see nothing wrong with any of those options, if players don't like what they are using then they don't have to use the perks. If people like it, which I know a decent amount of people who do, then it sucks for them to remove the skill because you wanted him to be more "veteran" orientated. Wilson was always just a starting character, no need to give him an anime sword so he's more powerful to match other skill trees. Sciencless ruins rushing is an example of old players getting fun using torch toss. I could see the torch toss being nice tho if it applied to a lantern.
  7. why would you do that if you could kill the boss normally instead, since that'd require spending less time on preparation and fighting and be more fun to do than getting a lot of stuff for being able to hold F? do you also use gunpowder? wanda isn't a glass cannon, you need to get hit by FW 7 times before dying when old and if you think that walter is for people that are good at the game, what's the point of him having slingshot, considering that it's only useful for people that aren't good at the game?
  8. Dunno i myself like a nice grind to reward ratio. If i have to explore the ruins to craft the double trouble which halfs the amount of time and ammo needed to kill a boss, i will get a wee kick of satisfaction for my efforts to obtain it. To be honest, i feel Walter was Klei's first attempt to make Wanda. He seems like he was designed for pro players mostly not noobs. Inventory slots and movement speed are the two most important things other than damage for experienced players. Walter has 2 out of the 3. Experienced players benefit from his lack of sanity drain more than they get punished by his sanity loss on hit. Walter is a glass cannon but instead of a cannon hes got a woby backpack. A glass backpack you might say...
  9. it is, but people that want to make playing the game easier are unlikely to play as a character that loses sanity after getting hit it'd be fine if ammos would just become better or they'd add new ammo that'd be better e.g. deal 75 or more damage for 2 shotting hounds and 4 shotting crawling horrors or just make them not require anything, similarly to wolfgang's ice dumbbell
  10. And also eye mask. However: Dreadstone is 200% more effective than football helmet. Brightshade helmet protects from moon storm, sand storm, gestalts, darkness, planar damage, and buffs weapons. Shadow hat lacks purpose already. The eye mask is disgusting, ugly, and I do not want to wear that thing. Character exclusive repair kits for Winona is something I suggested before and I still think are a good perk for her.
  11. Today
  12. Yeah prep, in exchange for easy boss fights? Thats standard DST gameplay right there. Some people will enjoy that even if you dont. There has to be some sort of cost to buffing the slingshot. Cant just be "get this skill for 30% increase in fire speed" how boring is that? Crab king, freeze varglings or vargs to allow time for me to kill the hounds they summoned. But yeah i use them mostly for ruins. It is annoying to need a magic station first. Maybe they should require alchemy engine to separate them abit from ice staffs.
  13. It's a very good point. Carrying the power of 6 ice staffs in one slot can create opportunities. Plus, freeze rounds don't trigger other clockworks unlike ice staff, meaning you can pull a sneaky one and mine statues/craft relics without fighting anyone. What really holds them back in ruins however, is that you have to craft a magic station first, which is why I don't use either ice staff or freeze rounds. Are there other scenarios you use ice rounds in?
  14. i've only seen like 3-4 and i bet that most people play as walter either because of cheese or woby it'd still suck in comparison to melee because of requiring you to waste much more time on preparation and being less fun to use than melee when fighting bosses
  15. Wilson is the only character who has not had a rework. And this is the fault of the community itself that encourages Klei to keep it like this. It's the fallacious argument of the game's standard, but it fails to make the mechanics of the bosses more difficult. So they turn to cheating or alternative solutions. No different from someone who claims to be a Wes player. There are Wilson players who are exceptions, but an exception only serves to confirm a rule. For anyone just starting to play, I would never recommend Wilson. If the initial objective is survival, I would certainly recommend Wendy, Wigfrid or even Wolfgang. The use of torch is so strategically ridiculous in the game that it's not even worth commenting on. It is essential for the first days of the game (day 2 or 3). And that's all, except for a few moments when you need to start a fire on an object. However, Wilson is the character I used most on the portal. He is the most important support character for my gameplay. Not even Warly's recipes come close to Wilson's. And the reason is just two abilities: a) craft flint; b) craft nitre. I believe it is easier for Klei to give Wolfgang even more powers than any kind of improvement for Wilson.
  16. Well there must be a reason because this forum has alot of outspoken Walter mains on it lol We obviously enjoy Walter as he is. I just don't want Klei being lazy and giving straight up dps increase to the slingshot. A couple ways they could buff the slingshot without breaking balance would be to introduce new slingshot types that have durability. My ideas are: The Lazy Slinger. Recipe: 1x slingshot, 1x living log and 2x orange gem. Craftable at ancient science station. Function: Using the power of the orange gems it instant reloads therefore has the same attack speed as melee weapons however to balance this it only has 600 durability (enough for 10 stacks of ammo) before breaking and no longer can hit stun mobs. The Double Trouble: Recipe: 1x slingshot, 1x thulecite and 2x green gem. Also craftable at ancient science station. Function: Using power of the green gems it fires 2 rounds simultaneously for the price of one. Effectively double damage but same attack speed as regular slingshot. 600 durability but can still hit stun mobs. Stronger of the two slingshots but also more expensive needing the very useful green gems. Also triggers enlightened crown twice per shot and triggers thulecite round shadow tentacles twice and doubles ice round freeze strength.
  17. I'm not sure why beginners guides are describing a meat farm as necessary. Full achievement runs will involve the large consumption of meat because two out of the three early-game-dominating achievements (locavore & carnivore) will require the player to ignore farm plants and consume a large amount of meat before cycle 100, however in normal gameplay meat farming is something that requires more strategy/pre-planning from the start than I would say is beginner-friendly. The path of least resistance that a player may wish to learn before exploring more difficult strategies is far, far from engaging in meat farming early. It is a good idea to ranch in general, but really, I think that mealwood and abstaining from microbe mushers as much as possible on all but the hardest difficulties is what you should be teaching new players. this is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, and something that will simplify the amount of automation/research necessary for an emerging player, however you will receive significantly less calories overall, as mentioned above. If you choose to egg-crack, you need not use sweepers or anything of the sort to remove eggs from a room, all that is necessary is an unpowered incubator or two set to a higher priority than an egg-cracking station, which will gaurantee a sustained population while cracking any excess.
  18. AETN delete 80 kDTU/s heat. Water need 4.179 DTU/g/degree. When cooling from 110 to 95: 80000/15/4.179~1276 g/sec. When cooling from 110 to 25: 80000/85/4.179~225 g/sec.
  19. It’s possible to defeat FW, CC, and Misery solo on Switch, so don’t give up! You can do it!
  20. Why shouldn't a skill tree have useful/fun stuff for new and old players? I think the torch throwing could be a really fun mechanic if it just had a little more application. You can start fires from a distance with a thrown torch although there's not really any opportunities for that. Sure, you can light gunpowder with extra style, but gunpowder is terrible even if it didn't smoulder first.
  21. i think i dit say something to a simmilar topic something about how instead of torch, that wilson can craft healing items cheaper and like a stronger version of them of sorts, and that crafts that take away your health are reduced like telltale hearts because i was thinkin that it is kind of fitting
  22. we don't know how many exactly, most people think that walter is bad because slingshot is bad or because a boy scout gaining sanity in forests is too random and that's making the character unplayable and never play as him there just doesn't seem to be a reason to use slingshot instead of melee because you press same buttons at same times when using slingshot and melee and slingshot isn't better when tanking or kiting
  23. It's true. It takes about 13 seconds to kill tentacles as dark sword Wilson or gold round Walter. Wanda can kill them in 3 seconds tho.
  24. The thing is, the playerbase you referring to (likely) has three options: a)They learn how to get a better light source. It doesn't matter if its lantern or not, most of the players eventually stop using torches as light sources. b)They just switch characters. c)They stop playing the game. d)They play all the way to endgame with torch tree. And continue to use torches in endgame. None of the options are worth enough to give up such a huge potential imo. Which sucks for long term player like me. Especially considering that me and other people waited five years just to get a portable transmutation for endgame Megabasers.
  25. I've been playing ONI for a while, but I have never used an AETN. I recently started a max difficulty run on the radioactive asteroid so I have no access to plastic to help cool hot geysers. However, on the flipped asteroid that it's connected to I have a AETN fairly close to a cool steam vent. My question is can a AETN provide enough cooling to make the water from the cool steam geyser usable or would I need more? I do have 2 other AETNs on the flipped asteroid as well, but they are on the opposite side of the planetoid.
  26. It's just...not very creative. The tree is entirely torch and transmute. Not super fun. The beard is cool though and on brand for Wilson. I think if they made the tree for experienced players it'd be full of moderately useful inventions. He's invented the boat magnet, gardeneer hat, what else? I wouldn't have been surprised to see the expandinator credited to him as well. Stuff like that.
  1. Load more activity