[Archived] Original Mod Collaboration Thread

● What is the purpose of the vine atlas (tentacle arm build), are you super-imposing it on the beanstalk one?

I really don't know, since it's not being used anywhere on the mod yet and debugman hasn't mentioned it.

● From the looks of the atlas, i'm guessing the chopped sprites are used for the growth anims of the beanstalk. Or are you planning on making the beanstalk attackable?

No, it's... choppable. With an axe. It already is, try it.

● Do you expect the magic beans to show on the shopkeeper or character's hands at some point? If so it might be best to go for a weapon atlas, instead of the seeds one.

I don't think being able to hold the beans would be relevant. You get it and you plant it.Actually, the magic beans negotiation has also been implemented. And a crude version of its planting has been as well (now it'll just instantly grow when planted and your character will get crushed under it, but it works! :razz:)

This thread keeps growing like vines on a giant beanstalk, debugman18.

My plans for the weekend changed, so i'll be online today, and the Snailking is on hold till tomorrow, might have a little free time to dedicate to those atlas you wanted. :-)

I've extracted the PNG's from "beanstalk", "beanstalk_vine" and "beanstalk_chopped".

A few questions:

● What is the purpose of the vine atlas (tentacle arm build), are you super-imposing it on the beanstalk one?

● From the looks of the atlas, i'm guessing the chopped sprites are used for the growth anims of the beanstalk. Or are you planning on making the beanstalk attackable?

● Do you expect the magic beans to show on the shopkeeper or character's hands at some point? If so it might be best to go for a weapon atlas, instead of the seeds one.

- The 'vine' atlas is something I tried out initially with the beanstalk. It was also attackable at one point. I didn't really like it, since it seemed far too similar to the tentacle pillar.

- The beanstalk is currently choppable. Although I plan on making a special item for that, instead of letting you chop it down with an ordinary axe. I don't know if it (both it being choppable and a special item for it) is something others agree with, though.

- Like @simplex said, as long as you get the beans, it shouldn't matter too much. And yeah, the beanstalk is currently plantable. I'll add the correct functionality soon. (Maybe the vine could be used as a baby beanstalk?) What did we decide the requirements for the beanstalk growing were?

- The 'vine' atlas is something I tried out initially with the beanstalk. It was also attackable at one point. I didn't really like it, since it seemed far too similar to the tentacle pillar.

- The beanstalk is currently choppable. Although I plan on making a special item for that, instead of letting you chop it down with an ordinary axe. I don't know if it (both it being choppable and a special item for it) is something others agree with, though.

- Like @simplex said, as long as you get the beans, it shouldn't matter too much. And yeah, the beanstalk is currently plantable. I'll add the correct functionality soon. (Maybe the vine could be used as a baby beanstalk?) What did we decide the requirements for the beanstalk growing were?

i would say lots of guano or we must craft a special fertilizer or something

- OK, i'll design a beanstalk with all the details included then, if there won't be any other textures used on top of it.

- Nice! I'm not sure how the sprites for falling pieces of beanstalk will be animated, but i'll make something and you'll decide if it's usable.

- Love the idea of using the tentacle arms as the growing beanstalk! I think that could work well. My only issue with the tentacle arm atlas is that it is apparently lacking the top part, which is weird (i'll have to prepare a test atlas to identify the sprites ingame). If you need more complex growth animations, you can always use a downscaled version of the larger beanstalk, and if needed i could use smaller fractions of the tentacle pillar sprites for intermediate stages of development.

Edited by lifemare
  • Like 2

if it doesn't was mentioned already:how about a new character that is trapped in the sky kingdom (also jack from the fairytale)

A bird-person maybe? With great bonus to hunger gained from seeds, bonus to fisticuffs melee damage, risen rate at which sanity restores (from any source) but lowered sanity, and ability to randomly fall asleep during night (parrot sees darkness -> parrot decides to sleep)?

Well, it's a bit rough... but here's how I envision the Cloud Sheep and Storm Rams.

post-267484-0-62924100-1377463794_thumb.

They strike me as these really docile, brainless fluff-balls that just sorta drift about. Don't even walk, just float a couple inches off the ground. Always staring into space, without a care in the world.

You could attack them, and they wouldn't fight back, nor would they run, and none of the others would do a thing about it.

They just float about aimlessly. Like fluffy, living balloons.

The Storm Rams are aggressive, and dangerous. Their wool turns dark, stormy grey, and they grow jagged "lightning bolt" horns. They charge the player - and charge themselves (electrically) before that. ;P

Apologies for the roughness of the art. I've just had these ideas since I saw them mentioned, and needed to doodle them up, and throw them out here, before they would leave me alone. |D

• Like 7

Well, it's a bit rough... but here's how I envision the Cloud Sheep and Storm Rams.

Posted Imagecloudsheep.png

They strike me as these really docile, brainless fluff-balls that just sorta drift about. Don't even walk, just float a couple inches off the ground. Always staring into space, without a care in the world.

You could attack them, and they wouldn't fight back, nor would they run, and none of the others would do a thing about it.

The Storm Rams are aggressive, and dangerous. Their wool turns dark, stormy grey, and they grow jagged "lightning bolt" horns. They charge the player - and charge themselves (electrically) before that. ;P

Apologies for the roughness of the art. I've just had these ideas since I saw them mentioned, and needed to doodle them up, and throw them out here, before they would leave me alone. |D

I like that. They're practically useless unless they're charged, and then they're a nightmare to deal with. I have this vision of them getting a really baffled look on their face during the transformation, too. Makes me laugh inside.

I like that. They're practically useless unless they're charged, and then they're a nightmare to deal with. I have this vision of them getting a really baffled look on their face during the transformation, too. Makes me laugh inside.

I think the perfect transformation face would be, like...

Posted Image

The sheep are just massive derps. x3

Fantastic. I think you really captured their look. Though I imagine the storm ram's wool as more.....frizzy. Like all the electricity is making it stand on end. Edited by Luggs

- OK, i'll design a beanstalk with all the details included then, if there won't be any other textures used on top of it.

Just make sure you make them a bit more round than they are now (which basically means making its base be more round, projecting a bit more in the screen direction), so that the cylindrical physics will look and feel proper.

- Nice! I'm not sure how the sprites for falling pieces of beanstalk will be animated, but i'll make something and you'll decide if it's usable.

Since they fall from the sky when it's chopped, I don't think any animation is needed. A single sprite item should do it.

Nice concept art you got there, eh? (blame Luggs)

I like them! I really think we should do the actual atlas art very similar to that!

Just dropped by to say it's proving to be harder than i expected to get the beanstalk perfect.

It's almost there, but there's still some misalignments in the sprites that take a lot of trial and error to correct.

Should have it for you tomorrow.

Here's how it looks so far, only minor stitching required, so might aswell let you have a peak ;)

Posted Image

• Like 7

Just dropped by to say it's proving to be harder than i expected to get the beanstalk perfect.

It's almost there, but there's still some misalignments in the sprites that take a lot of trial and error to correct.

Here's how it looks so far, only minor stitching required, so might aswell let you have a peak ;)

Posted Image

I love that, man. That is so fantastic! :D

• Like 1

Posted Image
You amaze me.
  • Like 1

@debugman18

Sheep/Ram Quotes:Sheep Mode:Wilson: They make me feel sleepyWillow: Cotton. Very flammable.Wolfgang: Puny baby animal.WX-78: DOCILE MAMMAL. HARD TO FRIGHTEN.Wendy: Ignorance. The worst kind of darkness.Wickerbottom: Ovis Aris. Reminds me of farms.Maxwell: I'd hate to be near them when they're in a bad mood.Woodie: Ooh! Lambchops!Ram Mode:Wilson: Electrifiying!Willow: Shouldn't have charged him up.Wolfgang: Baby animal mad!WX-78: APPARENTLY EASY TO ANGER.Wendy: Their cup hath runneth over.Wickerbottom: The ambient static seems to cause aggression.Maxwell: I should keep a distance back from that animal.Woodie: Looks like i'm in trouble now. Oops.

I believe his were perfect. I did make a few adjustments but they're mostly his. Edited by Luggs

Ah, I forgot he posted those. Posts seem to get lost easily here.

We could gather ideas either in a Google Docs document or in a git-managed text file. The git approach would integrate things, but it might make it harder for people to contribute.

We could gather ideas either in a Google Docs document or in a git-managed text file. The git approach would integrate things, but it might make it harder for people to contribute.

Oh, by the way, that quotation mark issue sucks. That's really a bummer.

And I was actually thinking about using a strings file just for the mod, and putting it on the git or something. Or do you think Google docs would work out better?

I'd prefer Git, but unless the whole team can settle on using it (possibly through GitHub for Windows and GitHub for Mac) I think Google Docs would be more productive.

I like Git (and I've never used Google Docs) but I think more collaborators would prefer Google Docs.

Prior to that, would you like for me to set up the strings file (and make the necessary changes)?