[Archived] Original Mod Collaboration Thread

@debugman18Are the flowers going to be identical to the mushrooms or will they have their own functions?

Are you talking about the mushrooms in vanilla Don't Starve? If so, then yes, they are different. They are new items, with their own logic.It's only that debugman had initially envisioned them as new mushrooms, and now decided to make them new flowers.
  • Like 1

Are you talking about the mushrooms in vanilla Don't Starve? If so, then yes, they are different. They are new items, with their own logic.It's only that debugman had initially envisioned them as new mushrooms, and now decided to make them new flowers.

Wasn't sure. Thank you.

@_Q_Well, I can't find a way to truly create a new creep. Using the same method, you can define a new creep type, which will be registered with the world entity, a render layer for it will be created, etc. However, no entity which has a GroundCreepEntity (engine-level) component specifies what's their "creep type", and I can't find a way to do it. Maybe there is a hidden one (this is an engine-level component, after all), but it seems that since currently the game has only one creep type, which type gets chosen is hardcoded.If it weren't for the inability to specify a creep type, it would work. You'd call inst.entity:AddGroundCreepEntity(), set the radius, set the creep type and then listen for the "creepactivate" event. But right now simply calling inst.entity:AddGroundCreepEntity() will make web appear around the entity.

@_Q_I found some redundancies in the code and removed them. And I also made the new tile type appear correctly on the minimap.I'm attaching the revised code.

Nice. Too bad that creep is hardcoded, there goes my shadow corruption plans.

This sounds like a reasonable request to @Ipsquiggle. Almost everything is there already. The only thing that's missing is the ability to specify which creep type an entity should generate.

And a way to add special effects like sanity/health drain to it.

And a way to add special effects like sanity/health drain to it.

That's there already. When you're on the creep ground of an entity, the locomotor component will push the "creepactivate" event to that entity. You can just listen for that event and apply the effect accordingly (the entity which triggers the creep is passed in the data for that event). It doesn't warn you when the entity leaves the creep, but you can just do distance checks for that.Basically, you could do an inst:DoPeriodicTask() in response to "creepactivate" that cancels itself when the affected entity gets too far. Edited by simplex

Not really connected to sky level, but would be possible to load new world when player uses straw roll or tent, aka dream/nightmare worlds,

and then make it time based like you can spend 1 there and you will wake up in your normal world after that with items you got in dreamnightmare wolrd.

Not really connected to sky level, but would be possible to load new world when player uses straw roll or tent, aka dream/nightmare worlds,and then make it time based like you can spend 1 there and you will wake up in your normal world after that with items you got in dreamnightmare wolrd.

Yes. You could hook functionality similar to the beanstalk activation to the sleepingbag component (though the fact that sleeping can be cancelled if in danger would make coding awkward, maybe hooking to the finiteuses component of specific prefabs would be easier). And then, instead of creating an exit, you could create a dummy prefab with the growable component or similar (basically, anything that does a task which resumes after reloading the game) that applies the exit logic when its callback runs (in the growable component, this would be the "fn" field of the second growth stage). Edited by simplex

This looks really cool! My question is... Will the shopkeeper appear in existing worlds too after enabling the mod? Or do you need a new generated world? :-)

Just a small idea (if it's even possible), you could do so when you dig up any sort of "cloud turf" you are as always standing on the turf while removing it. But, when removing it, it could open up a hole to the ground-surface and you will basically fall down to the normal world and loose say, half hp or something. :-) It would make it funnier first time you're trying to dig up that type of turf! ;)

Edited by Wilbur

I have an improvised system for the rain/snow system and the sky world, if you want to use it.

Raining: Static

Winter: Snowstorms (pretty much freezes you and lots of animals in the skyland very rapidly.)

Also WX-78 technically is OP when it's staticy (Taking electricity all the time = hyper system overload)

So will there be counter-nerfs for him in the sky world? (Magnetised or water based enemies that magnetically scramble or rust him perhaps?)

Edited by KidneyBeanBoy

This looks really cool! My question is... Will the shopkeeper appear in existing worlds too after enabling the mod? Or do you need a new generated world? :-)Just a small idea (if it's even possible), you could do so when you dig up any sort of "cloud turf" you are as always standing on the turf while removing it. But, when removing it, it could open up a hole to the ground-surface and you will basically fall down to the normal world and loose say, half hp or something. :-) It would make it funnier first time you're trying to dig up that type of turf! ;)

In principle, yes, he will only appear in new worlds, since his shop is a set piece. But that's been bothering me, I think we should have him appear (without his shop) in old worlds too.And, well, there's no good animation for falling down (the closes one being "jumping into a wormhole"). Also, if the player were to fall from the sky, it should instantly kill him! :razz: 

If you dont know these, i found some bug, flowers dissapear when going into rockyland, mactusk and hounds are invinsible, pengulls going ther (magic.)

?What does it have to do with the mod? I don't understand what you meant about pengulls, but I've seen all of the other bugs discussed in the bug tracker and in general discussion as vanilla bugs.

Edited by simplex

In principle, yes, he will only appear in new worlds, since his shop is a set piece. But that's been bothering me, I think we should have him appear (without his shop) in old worlds too.And, well, there's no good animation for falling down (the closes one being "jumping into a wormhole"). Also, if the player were to fall from the sky, it should instantly kill him! :razz: 

?What does it have to do with the mod? I don't understand what you meant about pengulls, but I've seen all of the other bugs discussed in the bug tracker and in general discussion as vanilla bugs.

I know the pengull bug isn't really a 'bug'. It's just that those things aren't supposed to be able to fly. :p

May I suggest that, if this is possible, the shopkeeper and his shop have a spawning system similar to lureplants? This would allow him to spawn freely in already explored worlds in addition to adding to the "traveling tradesman" feel I believe you said you were going for.

• Like 2

May I suggest that, if this is possible, the shopkeeper and his shop have a spawning system similar to lureplants? This would allow him to spawn freely in already explored worlds in addition to adding to the "traveling tradesman" feel I believe you said you were going for.

Interesting. Maybe his shop could spawn/despawn randomly along the Road. Edited by simplex
  • Like 1

that would make him easy to find

True, but randomly placing him anywhere would make it too hard to find him. Unless his shop always respawns on the same location, once chosen.And I don't think "hiding him" was the goal, is it?

True, but randomly placing him anywhere would make it too hard to find him. Unless his shop always respawns on the same location, once chosen.And I don't think "hiding him" was the goal, is it?

I think you took my overly short reply the wrong way around, to clarify I actually agree with your initial statement.

<-- speaking Australian

Edited by timmeht

This thread keeps growing like vines on a giant beanstalk, debugman18.

My plans for the weekend changed, so i'll be online today, and the Snailking is on hold till tomorrow, might have a little free time to dedicate to those atlas you wanted. :-)

I've extracted the PNG's from "beanstalk", "beanstalk_vine" and "beanstalk_chopped".

A few questions:

● What is the purpose of the vine atlas (tentacle arm build), are you super-imposing it on the beanstalk one?

● From the looks of the atlas, i'm guessing the chopped sprites are used for the growth anims of the beanstalk. Or are you planning on making the beanstalk attackable?

● Do you expect the magic beans to show on the shopkeeper or character's hands at some point? If so it might be best to go for a weapon atlas, instead of the seeds one.

Edited by lifemare
  • Like 1