Don't starve character backstory's

12 hours ago, lifetheuniverse said:

Also birds being able to cross realms, much to Maxwell's confusion...and repeated representation in puzzles.
I must know the truuuuuth.

2 hours ago, Mooagain said:

Speaking of birds, Why does Woodie hate them? The devs said that his hatred of birds is irrational, so what is the reason? 

30 minutes ago, Field Field said:

I have a theory about this. If you check the wiki page for birds, almost all of Maxwell's quotes are about how he has no idea how birds are getting into the constant (or the Elder Bog.)

I think that the sky may function as some kind of portal between realms, allowing birds to travel through them freely. After all, Wilson went from the Constant to Hamlet with a hot air balloon.

Woodie doesn't know this, of course, but there's a reason he has a bad feeling about them.

Similarly, I think the ocean might work as a sort of portal too. The Elder Bog's merms got to the constant through the sea, and Wilson got to Shipwrecked through... A shipwreck.

Exactly, Constant has susceptible zones that allow a small capacity to travel to other realms and unknown places (yet, is a bit limited and not very accessible to everybody).

I doubt that the merms in the constant are from the bog.

I think the gnaw was in the constant at some point and made some pigs become merms, but then Maxwell got rid of it.

And, the Hamlet place is still in the constant. In the Metheus murals, At the top of the first ones, the ancients are leaving some mountains to go live in the caves, and above the mountains there is what looks like a diagram of a solar eclipse (aporkalypse!) and a giant bird. (Roc)

19 minutes ago, Mooagain said:

I doubt that the merms in the constant are from the bog.

I think the gnaw was in the constant at some point and made some pigs become merms, but then Maxwell got rid of it.

And, the Hamlet place is still in the constant. In the Metheus murals, At the top of the first ones, the ancients are leaving some mountains to go live in the caves, and above the mountains there is what looks like a diagram of a solar eclipse (aporkalypse!) and a giant bird. (Roc)

I doubt ALL the merms are from Bog too, but it's possible that some ones managed to go there, living along with the natives now.

About Shipwreked and Hamlet, as I said the other day: 

Shipwreck and Hamlet are parts of Constant, but beyond the limits known by the survivors (not even Maxwell knows ALL in that world).

5 hours ago, Mooagain said:

Speaking of birds, Why does Woodie hate them?

I suspect someone at Klei is a Peter Greenaway fan. His first feature film, The Falls, was a mockumentary about the survivors of something called the VUE, or Violent Unknown Event. A lot of them think birds were responsible for it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Falls

4 hours ago, Mooagain said:

Speaking of birds, Why does Woodie hate them? The devs said that his hatred of birds is irrational, so what is the reason?

57b229ce0450a_woodiesfreudianexcuse.png.daa2600a7c9b0948d8c192bec0644f68.png

2 hours ago, Field Field said:

Similarly, I think the ocean might work as a sort of portal too.

The sea in vanilla mode looks fake but Shipwrecked's sea is more realistic...

I think that the realms were just closed off at first, and as of late the 'boundaries' blocking travel between them have loosened. Oceans, sky, ect linking to eachother just because it's all in one 'world'.

Nice find on the mountains and solar eclipse.

Birds have been represented in puzzles at least since the one announcing DST, along with heavy representation of the """Moon""" in that one, and...of course birds come from the sky. So they might be related. Head-cannon is that they have no visible nests because they're from the """Moon""".

I don't think there is portals beetwenn SW, Hamlet and the constant world. For me, Those are different parts the same world. Hamlet is in an innaccessible mountain peak  (except by the air) and Shipwerked map is an archipelago in the ocean, far away from the coasts of the DS classic world. In SW, characters don't appears in the first island by a portal but they wake up after a boat accident (we can see the broken parts of the boat and so the name of the game make sense). I think Wilson built a raft then reached an other part of the world (SW archipelago), then he built a balloon to reach a higher place (Hamlet). That's why Charlie is in SW and Hamlet too. And that's why Maxwel is present as a world ruler in SW (as the trailer attest) but not in Hamlet (beacuse it takes place after DST). Also, that's why the 3 worlds are connected. The skyworthy and the seaworthy are just some kind of shortcuts to move beetween the 3 worlds.

5 hours ago, Nino123 said:

And that's why Maxwel is present as a world ruler in SW (as the trailer attest) but not in Hamlet (beacuse it takes place after DST).

I was under the impression that if anything, Hamlet might be taking place before original DS; especially with the thing about the solar eclipse being in the Ancients' mural in Metheus. Has it been mentioned that it takes place after DST somewhere?

5 hours ago, Nino123 said:

That's why Charlie is in SW and Hamlet too. And that's why Maxwel is present as a world ruler in SW (as the trailer attest) but not in Hamlet (beacuse it takes place after DST).

Shipwrecked and Hamlet were events that happened in the past (DT), before DST.

13 hours ago, lifetheuniverse said:

Birds have been represented in puzzles at least since the one announcing DST, along with heavy representation of the """Moon""" in that one, and...of course birds come from the sky. So they might be related. Head-cannon is that they have no visible nests because they're from the """Moon""".

Speaking of the 'moon', The moon rock idol is probably a statue of whatever lives on the moon. Maxwell says "they always need an offering" Webber says "it looks like an alien" and wendy says "an otherworldly heart beats within"

There are moon people, and they use purple gems!

Possibly the gatekeeper?

25 minutes ago, Nino123 said:

how can you have Maxwel as a playabkle caracter if it's before A New Reign?

As GVIRUSINFECTEE said, he's a "secret character" until you finish the Adventure mode.

Maxwell appears alive again officially in DST, when Wilson is expelled of the Shadow Throne by Charlie.

Maybe i'm not clear, and sorry for that, english is not my first language. I'm ok with you, for Maxwell shouldn't be in DS nor SW because at this moment, he was on the throne, but not Hamlet, nothing really prove that. Hamlet looks like to be after DST, for me.

On 04.01.2019 at 11:35 PM, Master Jand said:

Second thing to note: There is nothing stated which proves Wilson arrived in the Constant second-to-last (with Winona obviously being last). 

There is, actually. An official canon timeline one of the devs posted way back in 2014:

"1910ish - 1921: The various playable characters get pulled into the DS world.
1921: Wilson gets pulled in (Forbidden Knowlege trailer).
*THE ORIGINAL GAME + ROG STARTS HERE*"

Although, your last point, that it could've been retconed, might apply here.

34 minutes ago, Zhuzha said:

There is, actually. An official canon timeline one of the devs posted way back in 2014:

"1910ish - 1921: The various playable characters get pulled into the DS world.
1921: Wilson gets pulled in (Forbidden Knowlege trailer).
*THE ORIGINAL GAME + ROG STARTS HERE*"

Although, your last point, that it could've been retconed, might apply here.

glory to Kevin where ever he may be

I brought this up in another topic, but maybe the mants are related to the ancients? Like, their stupid cousins that nobody invites to family reunions.

And on WX having no memory of Maxwell, it's a bit suspicious that all he says is "UNKNOWN" or whatever, perhaps Maxwell changed his memory. Damn I'm late to the party here.

Warbucks observation on canned tuna: "The strange artifact of a stranger civilization."
He might be pre-1900.

I'm wondering if the Ancients were actually the ones that left some of the ruins, and the Aporkalypse clock, given the Eclipse's presence in Metheus. Also...the Ancient Herald being around.

On 1/3/2019 at 9:11 PM, axxel said:

At least we can confirm that Wickerbottom dissapeared after 1911 because she know of Scoville (her Lava pepper quote).

I think characters quote are just for fun, easteregg or give some information about game items , and not trustable enough to rely on that for extracting lore !
for i.e
Wickerbottom notes that the red and green mushtrees are "Mycena luxaeterna" and "Mycena silvaelucens" respectively.(you can check it on this wiki if you want )

these are bioluminescent mushrooms that glow .
this 2 species discoverd by professor Dennis Desjardin in 2010, that explained in this article.

so is this means wicker disapeared at least after 2010 ?! :)

45 minutes ago, Raspberry Milk said:

I do think that some quotes should be trusted, but most should be taken with a pinch of salt.

True. Some quotes are puns or references, also, Maxwell breaks the 4th wall. 

Example: The quotes of Wilson ("Looks like an offering to the Beast.") and Wendy ("Kill the pig. Spill his blood.") when they see Pig Head are references to Lord of the Flies novel.

Archived