QoL Upgrade Mk 1 Now Open For Testing! - 295825

• Developer
57 minutes ago, RailgunD said:

I know someone mentioned a problem with rockets coming back with missing parts, my issue may be connected with that I'm not sure.

My current game always crashes upon my rocket returning. I've read that can be solved by returning to a save point where you had not loaded while the rocket was away.

Does this update fix my issue? And do you still need to avoid loading while the rocket is away?

Hopefully we can fix it so you don't have to avoid anything! If you get a crash, please post a bug report and include your save from before the crash and we'll see if we can solve it for you. :)

• Like 3

I'm on a 1756 cycle file, 2 Rockets - Crashes on load

Backup cycle 1156, 1 rocket - Crashes on load

backup cycle 974, 0 rocket - Fine

My guess being something rocket related but likely from my 2 dupes are trapped in there and deconstructing out of this test patch will crash, If I do magically deconstruct it without a crash, The dupe is gone, Permanently so I'm guessing that is what my crash is related to....Or just my rockets :p

Also I'm aware it's a preview but the lag is terrible......Then again my 1756 file is 8 fps while in normal speed and that's with a 1070 clocked and I7 6700K, 8GB DDR4 3333mhz RAM......I really hope this QoL sorts it all once released, I hold very high hopes so I can enjoy the game without being so laggy that dupes will stop talking a movement then being sent back and will loop till a frame that doesn't lag and they'll move forward.....then lag loop xD It's a mess in my world.

+1 for heading for official modding support

"...but we're starting to make changes with modding in mind."

+1 for heading for multi core support

"...Flow of gasses/liquids in pipes is now multithreaded for improved CPU usage..."

Edited by babba
  • Like 2

If someone can test this with a thousand flowing pipe pieces, diversions and automation and let us know about your findings ? Im currently playing something else. It would be interesting if "only" a 2nd core is used or if ONI tries to get all the cores available. So a 10x size map with a trillion piping,diversions & pipe automation would be good. If nobody does it, maybe I find time next weekend. Someone would need to do it with the right core load info tools, not thats its just Windows or some other OS cycling through cores to keep each core temp down... Thank you :)

"...Flow of gasses/liquids in pipes is now multithreaded for improved CPU usage..."

Core Fetish image.png.e8923e078d20bd1fa6bf91ef22ac58f9.png

Edited by babba
  • Like 1

• Developer

I'd just like to be clear about the multithreading stuff: Some of the heavy systems in this game multithread very poorly and will likely never be split out; in addition there are some systems where multithreading overhead is unreasonable for systems with fewer cores. This is one system we've found so far (gasses and liquids in pipes specifically) that seems get a strong win from multithreading, and we hope we can find more, but it's very case-by-case.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Thank you very much, Ipsquiggle. Other things which players struggle with in terms of the FPS is the games dupe/critters pathfinding and that each simulated tile is taking too much cpu load. Please also allow smaller map size generation in the games menu for slow systems. So something like 20% size, 50% size, 100%, 200% as a setting in the map generator screen. 20% size will make it possible for much more slow notebooks to play the game.

Edited by babba
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The "journal" seems to be missing. You know, the DB entry where you got the subjective observations of the "player". Just killed a dupe as a this-game-first to check, and no message. Possibly this is only hidden or the like or needs a reset to work....

Edited by Gurgel

If I queue up orders that I don't have materials for, and then later get materials, the building doesn't register them.   I have to unqueue and requeue the orders.

Also dupes getting caught in infinite loops attempting to supply microbe musher.  Dropping water over and over.  Also dropping meal lice over and over.   Something seems to be causing the work orders to stutter, to start and stop over and over and over.   I think this also causes really bad lag on later maps.

Edited by Iriswaters

5 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

I'd just like to be clear about the multithreading stuff: Some of the heavy systems in this game multithread very poorly and will likely never be split out; in addition there are some systems where multithreading overhead is unreasonable for systems with fewer cores. This is one system we've found so far (gasses and liquids in pipes specifically) that seems get a strong win from multithreading, and we hope we can find more, but it's very case-by-case.

I think to improve qol will make the game more interesting but improve performance will impact whether it is playable.

thanks for all your efforts.

The three new ambient musics are very Factorio esque.. love it

9 hours ago, skyzevs said:

And so it was 19 FPS, put the patch, now 8 ....

Old saves being laggy in previews is something that isn't news.

The devs missed an oppurtunity to call this 'Not-so Spring Cleaning upgrade Mk1'

I still ask to rework selection UI and massive wasted space, given now we'll have to hover mouse cursor over to see about egg. And that eggs are easily distingushable to anyone who plays the game more than 1 hour. UI could use space more effectively

LPlgqRu.pngHFSTvAs.png

Edited by Technoincubus
  • Like 1