bizziboi

If you have performance issues in Hamlet, your input could help

Recommended Posts

On 14/12/2018 at 11:33 AM, Frigfrid said:

Hey uh, my game runs smoothly most of the time, but whenever I explore the jungle during Humid or Lush season (depends on how long it took me to get there) and the Rabid Beetles spawn from their casings in large numbers, my framerate gets extremely low and I can barely move to run away. 

Take into consideration that when it's just 3-7 rabid beetles the framerate's normal, but the thing is, I rarely just get that amount of rabid beetles following me. It's like 30 beetles, so much that I have to activate godmode to wait until my game unfreezes properly.

Anyone else having this problem too?

Same here!

I usually don't have low framerate, but if I spend some days on ruins and then come out, I always find a huge amount of rabid beetles on the jungle (which is anonnying). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dissentist    42

I have a major performance issue-  Why is it I have games from like 15+ years ago that can autosave files 10 times larger than these save files but DON'T lock the game up for 5 seconds to do so?  Did you know it's possible to have a game NOT do that?  I mean obviously based on the CONSTANT plant man crashes on release you guys don't playtest this game at all, but you HAVE played other games before right?

How many more months until you fix the glaringly obvious "million beetles" problem?  Can we put Warbucks back until you fix these couple SUPER OBVIOUS AND ANCIENT issues and then maybe rethink the idea of ripping out a character entirely?  Perhaps work on fixing the game/immersion breaking bugs before you throw in a half baked new character?

Thanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CarlZalph    2,935
8 hours ago, dissentist said:

I have a major performance issue-  Why is it I have games from like 15+ years ago that can autosave files 10 times larger than these save files but DON'T lock the game up for 5 seconds to do so?  Did you know it's possible to have a game NOT do that?

Most of those games don't go through a scripting language for their logic, making direct access to the game state much quicker for serialization out.

Don't Starve (Together) both use LUA as the primary area for logic and entity handling, which all need to get serialized out to something that can be reloaded later.  This takes time, and their use of LUA is a single threaded instance so it isn't multithreaded to speed it up a lot.

Then there's the amount of active entities and just raw data in games from now compared to then are a lot higher thanks to better hardware capabilities.

Further, larger files doesn't necessarily mean more complexity.  For all I know the game you're referencing to saves it all out as an uncompressed blob that if something didn't save properly would cause the entire file to be considered corrupt.  With DS(T) there's a lot of error checking and ensuring things function properly.

 

 

On 1/18/2019 at 9:05 PM, zIOZ said:

And maybe an option to  disable decorating vines and overlay vine moving while in the deep forest. Have an option to disable tall grass spraying would be good too.

On 1/19/2019 at 4:57 PM, Angel_Octoling said:

These and the small ferns in the Jungle can be toggled in the world gen section. However, the rustling overlay cannot.

You two might find value in my mod here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=368664169

It can disable those shaking jungle leaves, as with other things.  All optional.

Edited by CarlZalph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dissentist    42
43 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

Most of those games don't go through a scripting language for their logic, making direct access to the game state much quicker for serialization out.

Don't Starve (Together) both use LUA as the primary area for logic and entity handling, which all need to get serialized out to something that can be reloaded later.  This takes time, and their use of LUA is a single threaded instance so it isn't multithreaded to speed it up a lot.

Then there's the amount of active entities and just raw data in games from now compared to then are a lot higher thanks to better hardware capabilities.

Further, larger files doesn't necessarily mean more complexity.  For all I know the game you're referencing to saves it all out as an uncompressed blob that if something didn't save properly would cause the entire file to be considered corrupt.  With DS(T) there's a lot of error checking and ensuring things function properly.

The example I was thinking of was any of the earlier Total War games or Space Rangers HD.  Both turn based, but both many times more complex in nearly every way, and Subnautica is constantly actively scripting but autosaves without issue or freezing.

Save games in total war could reach 26MB or more easily, and it could do it without a hitch even in cases where you modified the game to be 2-4x "normal" size in many cases, especially once you had MUCH more save data due to ocmplex mods like "total realism" and this was on computers with mechanical hard drives that were barely 20% of what even a mid range computer is capable of these days, it certainly "couldn't run Crysis".

I would hazard a guess that the reason even a simple mp3 player like Foobar can continue playing a FLAC while I'm decoding that FLAC to an mp3 format in 12-20x realtime speeds is because of a thing called buffering, perhaps you guys could look into "buffering" the scripting so it can continue on while the save happens from a snapshot of the moment the buffer runs?  Or at least maybe make some kind of fix so that people don't end up being run into untimely deaths because they were holding "left" while the save happens which then causes the game for some reason to continue moving you left after the save finishes and runs you into a death trap?  I don't know, I don't really write code myself, I've just played over 1000 games and seen thousands of youtubers play games that don't have this issue.  Maybe something is special about this indie game that doesn't apply to literally any other game that I would think operates similarly, such as minecraft.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Portmanteau    231

Has this been looked into at all yet? I reported this on the forums bug tracker and in-game bug tracker a little over a week ago and no word on this. It happens even with minimal mods (specifically "Character Enabler & Disabler", "DS Performence", and "Geometric Placement") if your wondering, and I have seen other reports in the bug tracker about this too so it can't just be me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rellimarual    3,968
2 hours ago, Portmanteau said:

Has this been looked into at all yet? I reported this on the forums bug tracker and in-game bug tracker a little over a week ago and no word on this. It happens even with minimal mods (specifically "Character Enabler & Disabler", "DS Performence", and "Geometric Placement") if your wondering, and I have seen other reports in the bug tracker about this too so it can't just be me.

I get this with just two mods, Quick Drop and Geo Placement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Roosev    827
16 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

I get this with just two mods, Quick Drop and Geo Placement

I get this with no mods at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Portmanteau    231

@bizziboi Hey has this issue been fixed yet? It's been fixed with mods for a while now (best one for it right now has been CarlZalph's DS Performence) but considering its a very big issue I'm curious of whether a fix to this made the basegame or was considered at all yet especially since its been an issue for a very long time now and been reported numerous times as you can see just from what I managed to dig up.

This issue effects me greatly in DST these days, as there is no mods to fix it there. I really think this is an issue that should be looked into for both games, especially since I'm not sure if a mod can fix it for DST.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bizziboi    1,656

As far as I know this was fixed in DS in December (so if you still get it it's something else), in DST it must be a different issue because that has had the filename caching since 2015 which explains why there's no mod for it.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Portmanteau    231
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, bizziboi said:

As far as I know this was fixed in DS in December (so if you still get it it's something else), in DST it must be a different issue because that has had the filename caching since 2015 which explains why there's no mod for it.

Ah! I had figured it had been fixed in DS when I tested it a little bit ago, but I had wanted to ask to make sure as I had gotten some very minor stuttering in SW (probably normal given my PC isn't the greatest and with and without mod was the same amount) and I didn't remember seeing it announced in update patch notes.

I do definitely have this issue still in DST though so if its had filename caching since 2015 I don't know what it could be there, and the lag is far worse then the minor amount I get in DS now.

But anyway, thanks for the confirmation on it definitely being in DS!

Edited by Portmanteau

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JosePapp    313

I'm having terrible lag at startup, loading and closing times.  This didn't happen before.

Also, I'm getting low fps on shipwrecked (may or may not be related to wheeler) and sometimes hamet. (Same)

Anything i can look forward to? @bizziboi

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now