For Those Who Say Hamlet Is Too Easy

On 14.11.2018 at 5:48 PM, BadlyBurned said:

Like how on earth would I even know how to survive the coughing season I didn't read up on it? or see it in a walk through video?

Well

I survived it because i noticed a drastic change in tuber tree's appearance, so i decided to cut it and cook it.I noticed that they aren't poisonous in this season and they regain sanity & health and that there is a lot of them so you can easly keep your sanity high even with hay fever's sanity drain

1 hour ago, Hx380 said:

Well

I survived it because i noticed a drastic change in tuber tree's appearance, so i decided to cut it and cook it.I noticed that they aren't poisonous in this season and they regain sanity & health and that there is a lot of them so you can easly keep your sanity high even with hay fever's sanity drain

I meant how to cure the coughing effect.. are you saying those tuber trees are an antidote in the lush season? I thought it was only those tea tree seeds or neetles.

The first time I had the lush season hit I was deep underground and it basically destroyed me before I could figure out what was happening. 

8 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

and if you do steal 'accidently'  how do you recover from that?

therapy?  

25 minutes ago, BadlyBurned said:

The first time I had the lush season hit I was deep underground and it basically destroyed me before I could figure out what was happening. 

That is one thing I like about the DS series -- you have to learn by experience (unless you read spoilers.)  So, the lush season destroyed you first time.  what did you learn?  what will you do differently next time?  

50 minutes ago, ucw said:

therapy?  

That is one thing I like about the DS series -- you have to learn by experience (unless you read spoilers.)  So, the lush season destroyed you first time.  what did you learn?  what will you do differently next time?  

I didn't learn anything. I had to read the wiki on it to find out what I am meant to do. I mean, there is really no other way unless I just randomly tried eating everything I could until I find something that cures me.

Albeit, that does work.. doesn't mean its a smart idea to make every new player either go through that or have to look up some kind of guide like I did.

The main point I'm trying to make is that in DS or ROG I could do trial and error for most stuff and be okay. Hamlet needs some kind of tooltips or something. Its crazy to think people will figure some of this stuff out. I just got The Roc for the first time last night and I almost turned off the game when he swallowed me as I thought that was IT.

3 hours ago, BadlyBurned said:

I meant how to cure the coughing effect.. are you saying those tuber trees are an antidote in the lush season? I thought it was only those tea tree seeds or neetles.

Im saying they regain all the sanity you might lose thus making the hay fever less annoying to deal with

1 minute ago, Hx380 said:

Im saying they regain all the sanity you might lose thus making the hay fever less annoying to deal with

Agreed, but I know how to deal with sanity regardless.

I'm more concerned about UNDERSTANDING what is actually happening to you and what you can do to beat it.

1) I wouldn't know how to beat the Lush sneezing season without reading wiki and learning about tea seeds and neetles.

2) I wouldn't know how to use that insect armor to avoid slowing down when its humid out without reading wiki.

3) I wouldn't understand the mechanics behind "stealing" if I didn't read the wiki. As it stands, the first game I played every single guard wanted to murder me and I couldn't figure out how to correct it.

The list goes on.. these are just things that common sense won't help you at all with. You need specific information or to get luck. Or as you said.. just suffer through it all and focus heals/sanity so you can survive until you do.

1 hour ago, BadlyBurned said:

Agreed, but I know how to deal with sanity regardless.

I'm more concerned about UNDERSTANDING what is actually happening to you and what you can do to beat it.

1) I wouldn't know how to beat the Lush sneezing season without reading wiki and learning about tea seeds and neetles.

2) I wouldn't know how to use that insect armor to avoid slowing down when its humid out without reading wiki.

3) I wouldn't understand the mechanics behind "stealing" if I didn't read the wiki. As it stands, the first game I played every single guard wanted to murder me and I couldn't figure out how to correct it.

The list goes on.. these are just things that common sense won't help you at all with. You need specific information or to get luck. Or as you said.. just suffer through it all and focus heals/sanity so you can survive until you do.

1) I think you can easily survived without tea seed and neetles, ive personally never used them and survived over 50 days 5+ times so far. The gas mask is enough, you just need do equip -deequip it when necessary and use sanity items for the rest (tam o shanter or top hat help a lot)

2) Insect armor isnt required at all during fog... You shouldnt really be using it anyway since a backpack is so much better. (you should always use the hat) Even when fighting you don't need it becasue you can walk away JUST fast enough to not get it unless its a swarm of beetle, then youre dead. I do agree that maybe they should add something in the description like "humid and xxxx" instead of just the xxxx.

3) You don't need the stealing mechanic at all once again... A lot of don't starve is about experimenting with stuff. In regular don't starve, you dont know you can whack a mole with a hammer until you realize you need a mole alive for an item. You wouldn't know many things without experimenting but the game pushes you in that direction often or its just extras if you happen to discover it.

7 hours ago, Yokoblue said:

1) I think you can easily survived without tea seed and neetles, ive personally never used them and survived over 50 days 5+ times so far. The gas mask is enough, you just need do equip -deequip it when necessary and use sanity items for the rest (tam o shanter or top hat help a lot)

2) Insect armor isnt required at all during fog... You shouldnt really be using it anyway since a backpack is so much better. (you should always use the hat) Even when fighting you don't need it becasue you can walk away JUST fast enough to not get it unless its a swarm of beetle, then youre dead. I do agree that maybe they should add something in the description like "humid and xxxx" instead of just the xxxx.

3) You don't need the stealing mechanic at all once again... A lot of don't starve is about experimenting with stuff. In regular don't starve, you dont know you can whack a mole with a hammer until you realize you need a mole alive for an item. You wouldn't know many things without experimenting but the game pushes you in that direction often or its just extras if you happen to discover it.

The red beetle armor (not the cricket armor) allows you to walk full speed while under the effects of humidity. You can't wear a backpack or hats while under its effects, you move at a snails pace. Without it, you're literally crawling blind in a fog, with no armor of any kind.

Hitting a mole with a hammer is straightforward and a 1+1 = 2 scenario. Wearing red beetle armor is at most a lucky guess if you manage to figure it out. Thats my whole complaint, these things are no longer just basic 1+1 scenarios. Most of this stuff I could not figure out without going to an outside source.

Anyone play Rimworld? It has a great learning system in the top right corner. New items and mechanics get a very small tooptip to hint what to do, and once read they are never repeated. Just a checklist that makes sure you understand anything complicated. I think this game needs this now. It didn't with ROG or SW, but Hamlet is a whole different ballgame.

1 hour ago, BadlyBurned said:

The red beetle armor (not the cricket armor) allows you to walk full speed while under the effects of humidity. You can't wear a backpack or hats while under its effects, you move at a snails pace. Without it, you're literally crawling blind in a fog, with no armor of any kind.

You picked a bad example for something non intuitive imo. Chitin is absurdly durable and light in general, I'm not surprised that it allow you to wear in the fog with no penalty. And if you compare this to real life, the problem here on earth is that there's no insect large enough to warrant making clothing products out of chitin.

You may think what I just said is wrong because not everybody know about the properties of insect exoskeletons. So here's this little paradox of a question against your argument:

Think of somebody living a country that never have "traditional" seasons. Because that somebody live in a country where there's no such thing he has enormous trouble figuring out winter in don't starve. Is it his fault or is it the game? 

6 hours ago, Atsumame said:

You picked a bad example for something non intuitive imo. Chitin is absurdly durable and light in general, I'm not surprised that it allow you to wear in the fog with no penalty. And if you compare this to real life, the problem here on earth is that there's no insect large enough to warrant making clothing products out of chitin.

You may think what I just said is wrong because not everybody know about the properties of insect exoskeletons. So here's this little paradox of a question against your argument:

Think of somebody living a country that never have "traditional" seasons. Because that somebody live in a country where there's no such thing he has enormous trouble figuring out winter in don't starve. Is it his fault or is it the game? 

You don't need to have traditional seasons to know that cold means put on warm clothing.

I think you want me to admit that I was wrong and that Hamlet is super easy to understand with no guides or anything, but its not going to happen. I really do like the game, its a great addition. I just wish that now that they've appeared on what we can only assume is an alien landscape, that they make SOMETHING to ease us into the mechanics of that world

They could even have a library pig with an archive of important facts (like a lot of NPCs in other RPG games). It seems their trying to mix that in anyways, so why not run with it?

2 hours ago, BadlyBurned said:

You don't need to have traditional seasons to know that cold means put on warm clothing.

I think you want me to admit that I was wrong and that Hamlet is super easy to understand with no guides or anything, but its not going to happen. I really do like the game, its a great addition. I just wish that now that they've appeared on what we can only assume is an alien landscape, that they make SOMETHING to ease us into the mechanics of that world

They could even have a library pig with an archive of important facts (like a lot of NPCs in other RPG games). It seems their trying to mix that in anyways, so why not run with it?

There could definitely be slightly more specific thoughts in a few of the crafting tooltips, and I like the idea of a tips pig NPC. Good feedback!

On 14. 11. 2018 at 11:04 AM, Yokoblue said:

Your whole argument is that the last season will be very hard. But you are just saying that randomly... We have almost no information on the last season and its pure speculation. Endless night ? Speculation, Evolved mants ... if they don't go out it doesn't matter you can just not go. Daily bat waves... Where was that confirmed ? Also, daily could mean 2 bats everyday... and thats nothing.

The games code and the Season changer command?

Spoiler

wait was this a necro, im sure it's not

On 11/17/2018 at 2:55 AM, BadlyBurned said:

You can't necessary 'cure' hayfever, but you can prevent it

How about you dig up all the nettles you find and place them all in a easy to access spot near both a pond and a deep rainforest (nettles only can be planted on deep rainforest turf, which is not portable). Then, you must place a sprinkler in the pond so it can let the nettles grow during any season

Spoiler

you've probably figured this out already, its been a long time since that post

2 hours ago, metallichydra said:

so many is complaining about the game being too easy, but if we make the game hard, what about Aporkalypse?

the hard season is aporkalypse, not humid or lush.

I'm aware that this will be probably changed after todays big update but...

Currently the aporkalypse isn't it's own season. It just go on top of another without affecting the effects of the season it's on top off. The way it's programmed it's supposed to be on top of the second hay fever season (at 60 days).

Also I don't know why people hyped up the difficulty of the aporkalypse in it's current state that much...it is (or was) kind of very peaceful in it's current state.

4 hours ago, Atsumame said:

I'm aware that this will be probably changed after todays big update but...

Currently the aporkalypse isn't it's own season. It just go on top of another without affecting the effects of the season it's on top off. The way it's programmed it's supposed to be on top of the second hay fever season (at 60 days).

Also I don't know why people hyped up the difficulty of the aporkalypse in it's current state that much...it is (or was) kind of very peaceful in it's current state.

Actually the all the hype came from used code suggesting some interesting things, Klei's words(?) and the video giving us a real sneak peek at how bloody Insane Aporkalypse might be, so that's very exciting, and I am very excited!

5 hours ago, DatShadowJK said:

How about you dig up all the nettles you find and place them all in a easy to access spot near both a pond and a deep rainforest (nettles only can be planted on deep rainforest turf, which is not portable). Then, you must place a sprinkler in the pond so it can let the nettles grow during any season

I’ve found it easier to just spend a couple of game days running around the plateaus picking nettles when they bloom. They don’t spoil, so you can just store them until you need them. If you did this on coffee, it would be really fast. I have over 40 in my house, enough to get me through a couple of seasons. Plus, running around the map, especially the jungle is a good way to nab other resources, like beard hair, silk, nectar, rope, stuff I dropped earlier to create an inventory space, etc. I even found two leafy stalks just lying around.

Archived