Toxic Players In Forge

My heart is burning like the Forge right now with anger within me. This may be off topic or shouldn’t be bought up but it’s needed to be in my opinion. The toxic player in the Forge. In straight two days. I had meet two toxic players that literally thinks they know everything and is ultra bossy. Here’s a screen shoot. Idk about you guys but I’ve meet quite a few. Not a good experience .

What Happen With My Encounter:  So I joined this promising group in hope of winning a Forge Match. Their all higher level as I play Forge on two accounts that both level10 while my main account Lem3n is higher level so I’m not quite as high level as them. I’ve beat the Forge in Season 2 before ( twice ) with experience players. Also talked to experience player so I know what is needed to be done. I useually just leave when I meet a toxic player but I’ve had enough after meeting ANOTHER toxic player straight in a row. This is madness. I’ve know dst for having kind people. This person literally is the most bossy person I’ve seen. What happen everything went smooth. Our team had one down but the “Mr Wannabe” keep talking like our team never played before. We had one close call where my whole team was down ( I was Wilson ) because he couldnt heal properly like I mean it. Almost everyone got instant down but I clutched it and saved everyone. Then he start talking about how we could play again on his rant. I had enough and typed in chat “ Your talking 2 much .” That’s when I think he got triggered. When my team died of course (I saw that coming because I could sense thing won’t work with him typing in chat 24/7 and not focusing on the game ) He blame someone everything on me. Just is complete sadness. 

I was about to just afk in lobby but left instead as I didn’t want to be rude.

i will provide a screen shot that I’ve beat the Final boss ( can’t remember name ) Incase some people doubt me 

honeslty I don’t know what to say at this point. Feel let down. I don’t blame the devs. Just toxic player. EDIT: if anyone wonder why I have two account. I gifted myself when I first bought the dst bundle 

FC763731-A30A-4291-AB1D-D922A50EA9FD.jpeg

798D7644-20CD-406E-86EA-500E1A747A66.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Lumina said:

Maybe we need better solutions than "it's unfortunate". I know a report system is probably a lot of resource, but muting people isn't enough.

Why isnt muting enough? Sure I have never had to use the mute function unless someone was spamming, but if words are getting someone triggered then muting is a great idea

Because it doesn't solve anything, it's just hide the problem. Because people insulting others and being agressive are a problem that is better when taking seriously in account instead of just put under the rug. Because a community could become more and more toxic when the toxic people are free to do harm to others.

I understand it's costly and hard to provide a solution, but i'm sure that it's possible to improve things, and the more we'll have community events, the more a proper solution will be needed.

I do love this game, i don't want the toxic part of the community growing bigger and bigger, it already happens too much in video games in general.

Honestly, no idea how many hours, but I've played Forge for 140+ total levels in the NA region and can hardly remember coming across "toxic" players. And I play public most of the time. Surely that cant be all coincidence.

I believe many people dont realize the control they have over their forge experience (or most things in life for that matter). My expectations of a game are often influenced by the server title, player levels, characters picked (can reflect seriousness in winning vs casual attitude), observing player skills within the first couple of rounds, and whether the game is public or with friends- so I am never surpised in a bad way. Maybe I have played multiplayer games too many times to know what to expect and how to deal with various types of attitudes. 

My point is, in my experience it is way easier to control your gameplay experience than implement a reporting function, half of which will be bogus and hard to validate.

30 minutes ago, TheFacelessMane said:

Honestly, no idea how many hours, but I've played Forge for 140+ total levels in the NA region and can hardly remember coming across "toxic" players. And I play public most of the time. Surely that cant be all coincidence.

I believe many people dont realize the control they have over their forge experience (or most things in life for that matter). My expectations of a game are often influenced by the server title, player levels, characters picked (can reflect seriousness in winning vs casual attitude), observing player skills within the first couple of rounds, and whether the game is public or with friends- so I am never surpised in a bad way. Maybe I have played multiplayer games too many times to know what to expect and how to deal with various types of attitudes. 

My point is, in my experience it is way easier to control your gameplay experience than implement a reporting function, half of which will be bogus and hard to validate.

Yeah. It’s mainly those wannabe players that think they know everything.  It’s alright to tell people if they are doing something wrong but dont point something out that’s obvious over and over. Not focusing on the gameplay while blaming their mistakes on other. It’s quite sad when I stand up but no one dare to any anything because that player is a friend on them or have higher level. 

I hate to be that guy but unless I'm missing something it very much seems like you caused the problem?

Yeah someone who's telling everyone what to do can be annoying but it's with good intention. They want the team to succeed. You even mention them saying that you guys could play again. What's wrong with that? The round failed so why not give it another go? Even in the you screenshot you provided you started swearing at him, and now you make a post specifically calling them out?(which is against the forum guidelines btw, I would censor the names)

You even considered idling in the lobby? You've kind of left what they actually did quite broad. "They were bossy," and "they sucked at healing" so you told them they talk to much?

Buddy, it might just be the way you worded everything but something doesn't seem quite right.

2 hours ago, Lumina said:

Maybe we need better solutions than "it's unfortunate". I know a report system is probably a lot of resource, but muting people isn't enough.

I have yet to see any solution that won't just result in it's own problems. Either way, the toxicity will still remain. And that's not exactly an easy problem to solve. Right now the best solution is to ignore these individuals and walk away.

2 hours ago, TheFacelessMane said:

I was trying to explain this to a friend of mine last night.  I've played with pretty much exclusively wonderful people and made some great new friends by picking through the server list for casual/friendly looking server titles.  He keeps running into jerks.

I've had a few rounds where a guy was giving everyone instructions, but you know what?  I appreciated it even if it was something I already knew because I know they were just trying to help, and additionally, my rounds with Those Guys usually go more smoothly than the ones without.  I think having a team leader is nice.

Like I understand getting annoyed if someone keeps slinging racial slurs or whatever but "this guy is telling us what to do" doesn't strike me as very "toxic."

1 hour ago, Zeklo said:

I hate to be that guy but unless I'm missing something it very much seems like you caused the problem?

Yeah someone who's telling everyone what to do can be annoying but it's with good intention. They want the team to succeed. You even mention them saying that you guys could play again. What's wrong with that? The round failed so why not give it another go? Even in the you screenshot you provided you started swearing at him, and now you make a post specifically calling them out?(which is against the forum guidelines btw, I would censor the names)

You even considered idling in the lobby? You've kind of left what they actually did quite broad. "They were bossy," and "they sucked at healing" so you told them they talk to much?

Buddy, it might just be the way you worded everything but something doesn't seem quite right.

Sorry. I’m not the best at explaining. My grammar terrible but had you been in the match, you would understand that he’s “bossy” & “talk 2 much.” Note that most of the people in the match was level17-30. Do you really think they are clueless? The way he acted like in the chat seem to make everyone seem like we’re bunch of noobs. I dont have any screen shoot of the chat but the whole chat up to down was him pointing out the obvious. The only word I said to him later on was “He talk 2 much” when he started to get annoying. I didn’t know at the time there’s a “mute button” which now I do. When I said  his  “They sucked at healing.” That was meant for mr.randem. If you had bet the End Boss before. You know you go to the corner and tank him. His healing wasn’t in my zone and I couldn’t get it to otherwise everyone would’ve been hit by his long range attack. He made it seem the Forge is hard to beat which isn’t if you have good teammate. I’ve already beat it 5 times now. Recently won 3 today. There’s another new start I found out ( double wx78 combo )  I understand there constructive feedback while you talk trying to help teammate out. I understand those but there’s different between bossy and constructive feedback. His word was more like a insult flying into my face from my computer

1 hour ago, Zeklo said:

4 hours ago, SavageLemon said:

My heart is burning like the Forge right now with anger within me.

Lemon might have not caused it, actually, but definitely made it worse.

There are really people out there who find very much joy in belittling others. I had such an encounter during the Gorge, so I can kinda feel Lemon.

However: Encountering toxic behaviour does not make it okay to become toxic yourself. It's hard, I know. But acting in rage can only make things worse.

Toxic behaviour spreads a lot like the common flu. People get 'infected', and carry their negative emotions to other places, where they tend to spread it further. What to do against that?

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Right now the best solution is to ignore these individuals and walk away.

This.

There is no way to get rid of those springs of toxicity. But we can definitely counter it, by keeping a positive attitude, no matter what.

3 hours ago, Lumina said:

I understand it's costly and hard to provide a solution, but i'm sure that it's possible to improve things, and the more we'll have community events, the more a proper solution will be needed.

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I have yet to see any solution that won't just result in it's own problems. Either way, the toxicity will still remain. And that's not exactly an easy problem to solve. Right now the best solution is to ignore these individuals and walk away.

Going off on a tangent here...but would it REALLY be that hard to implement a force start option for those people who idle in the menu?

I mean the Forged Forge team managed to do it...so I don't think it'd be too hard for Klei to nick their idea and coding work in collaboration with the team to implement it.

Though to be honest, if someone's being toxic to you in a forge match, y'know the easiest way to fix it? Leave them in the middle of the match.

mlgmeep.png.5cf540e3dac6732a5abafc08d9daacea.png

Leave, quick match, play. Lather rinse repeat until your arthritis riddled hands petrify and crumble off your hands.

10 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Going off on a tangent here...but would it REALLY be that hard to implement a force start option for those people who idle in the menu?

Does the force start solve that problem? I would think that starting the game with an afk player is just worse, because they take a slot that now cannot even be taken by a new player and you play with a smaller team. Not to mention that it would enable more idling for levels. I never had to use force start luckyly, so I don't know how it would work, but I believe it wouldn't be a very good solution.

Btw, I'm pretty sure Klei could implement it easily, they just don't want it (yet?). I guess they take a lot of time considering to implement such new mechanisms.

That kind of annoys me we were all noobs once, hell I didn't know how to fight at first lol. I got hang of it quickly though.  The worse I only encountered was people.attacking petrified guys and in the healing ring but I don't think I can.stop that.  But all in all I have been luck. Was part of a group that was bullying someone my sister told.them to stop and they left unfortunately the person that was bullied had left too.

11 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

You could at least have the option to mark people you find toxic. With possible things like blocking marked people when creating a classic server (auto adding them to the blacklist/ban list), and filtering them for games in Gorge and Forge, for example. It will not solve everything (they can still join Forge and Gorge game if i join a game then they join, but i still choose to leave if playing with them is a problem).

I saw people i found toxic in Forge, people insulting others multiple time, for example. I wasn't the target of the insults, still i don't want to play with them anymore, more tools for this would be welcome.

Some people suggest to leave when this happen. When multiple players in a game are toxic, maybe this is a solution. But i don't want to punish an entire team for only one toxic people, this will only make things worse. Especially because i will add annoyance to the toxicity, so it will be double punishement to the people victim of toxicity.

Again, i know some solutions aren't perfect, but i think the topic deserve more than just asking for players to manage the situation on their own. People harassed or insulted shouldn't be isolated even more and answered a "just mute and go on", letting them alone to face this is a problem.

So i hope we will see improvements in the future, not for this event since all of this take time, but at least something for the next would be very welcome. There are maybe other solutions to at least help a little, even if it's not perfect or one of the "classic" solutions. Even small additions can make the situation a lot better.

Well, I haven't had the bad luck to run into any real jerks THIS time around...but that's because I haven't been leaping into quick-matches and have instead only played a relatively few times, with friends.  (Well technically only two of them were people I already knew, but the others turned out to be decent too, thankfully.)  In my case, because of my weird hours, I have ANOTHER major problem with jumping into quick matches...I might not be able to understand the language.  : P  I get a lot of people questioning at me in the Cyrillic alphabet or Chinese symbols... (And that also means the ping will probably be terrible. I guess I should count that as my _third_ problem with quick matches.)

But...yeah, I know what you mean...I dunno about a PUBLIC way of shaming somebody, but a way to _personally_ mark that username for your own records, so you could go "Oh, yeah, right, that person was a jerk" when you see them again, might be a way to go...?  Dunno if that's easily codeable though, but the other report function might not be as well.

And, SavageLemon...while I can see naming-and-shaming when somebody is a BIG problem, such as the vote-kick teams that were going around all the Klei servers, or known repeat griefers (although that's still against the forum rules of course) um...you...kind of only SORTA blanked out the one name?  Like we can still totally read it?  And then you _said_ his name in one of your posts?  Which makes me think the "kinda" blanking out was not an accident? 

And then...YOU were kind of the one swearing at _him_, unless he was doing that earlier during the match and we didn't see it.  And...although I get the feeling English isn't your first language, you might want to at least know how to insult people _properly_.  You called him an (arse) _whole_, which means, you said he has an entire butt.  You meant hole, as in a hole in the ground.  : P

My point is...maybe you shouldn't come crying to us about reporting others unless you yourself really ARE, actually, innocent.  In other words:  "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."  It seems, from what we can tell here, that the two of you were kind of fighting with _each other_.  Maybe it's just a case of two people who are just plain incompatible, personality-wise and neither one of you actually IS a jerk, really, but...well, if you were calling him an entire butt and yelling at him for healing wrong, you're definitely not the only wronged party here.

...Notorious

1 minute ago, Bluegeist said:

I got called a sl*t for not reviving someone fast enough... I feel like some players assume everyone is a boy who wouldn't be too insulted by that but uh. I'm a lady so... I was quite offended.

I think anyone would be offended by that, regardless of gender.

10 hours ago, Lumina said:

You could at least have the option to mark people you find toxic. With possible things like blocking marked people when creating a classic server (auto adding them to the blacklist/ban list), and filtering them for games in Gorge and Forge, for example. It will not solve everything (they can still join Forge and Gorge game if i join a game then they join, but i still choose to leave if playing with them is a problem).

That pretty much just accomplishes the same thing as leaving a server. Unless a "marked" person is a friend of a friend, you're likely to never see them again anyway.

It's not that true : in event like The Forge (and The Gorge, to a lesser extend) ping matter a lot, so you'll encounter people from the same region of the world more often. Add to this that people will usually play often during these events and it's totally possible that you'll encounter them a couple of time.

Anyway, it's a tool that could be helpful, and it's a step in the right direction. And it's not as costly in resources to implement than a report system.

But this or something else i don't really care, i just hope that, in long term, Klei will do something about this. If they don't, it's their choice, i just really think it's an important topic if they want to bring regular occasions when people will play with strangers, especially when these events are stressful or competitive or both.

Archived