Why "kick button" is neсessary.

Shuasu Neyan

This is a no brainer. Why is there no kick button so the host can kick? No vote to kick ... just kick. There are countless trolls who are ruining the fun for everyone. Yes low level people will be kicked. Oh well, that's how gaming works. I just started playing and so far almost every game has trolls. People who purposely ruin the game for others. Please do something about it, for the love of God!

In this entire discussion, people seem to forget one important thing: Every tool that is being given to the community for kicking trolls/noobs/afk-players, will also be in the hands of those trolls and toxic players themselves. Oh, and those are gonna make goooood use of it.

A host kick, of course, will be used to kick any low level players, regardless whether the server was named properly or not. People are gonna get kicked because their name sounds too Russian/Polish/English/French/Asian/female/whatsoever. Or because they picked the wrong role, because the host just wants slaves for his quest, or because the host is a troll and kicks people randomly.

And even a votekick could be abused: It doesn't require much effort to falsely accuse someone of being a noob/troll, more than enough trolls would get a kick out of this (pun intended). And, of course, low level players will still often get kicked, because many people fail to differentiate between newbies and noobs (which is still short for Newbie out of brain), regardless of the fact that everyone once has started out as a Level 1.

If you ask me, facing all those new options of abuse isn't really worth it.

I've been doing a little research, because ripping an idea apart without presenting an alternative isn't good, and found this:

Yes, this doesn't really do much about low levels. But as I already stated above, everyone of us has once started out low. A kick button would allow players to behave even more toxic towards newbies as up to now. Using password-restricted lobbies more often would definitely be a better option.

How applicable would it be to utilize steam groups? If steam groups work well with the server system, we could try to create safe zones, by keeping the group free of trolls and toxic players, and optionally restrict access to a certain level threshold. In case using password-restricted lobbies doesn't work well enough, this would definitely be an improvement.

5 hours ago, Lepeightl said:

Using password-restricted lobbies more often would definitely be a better option.

How applicable would it be to utilize steam groups? If steam groups work well with the server system, we could try to create safe zones, by keeping the group free of trolls and toxic players, and optionally restrict access to a certain level threshold. In case using password-restricted lobbies doesn't work well enough, this would definitely be an improvement.

People DO use passwords, trolls get in anyway. There's no way to get rid of them.

Steam groups are already an option and their implementation is...not good, honestly. There's a reason they fell out of favor after last year.

Since there appears to be a lot of arguments towards not having the kick option in order to save the noobs (there's beginner friendly servers on the list constantly though, I really don't see where you're coming from with the "noobs will get kicked" argument...), a third option could be that you could set a level requirement for joining in. That would also prevent level 5 people that are unable to communicate in English from joining in through Quick Match into a server with the name "Lv. 20+ [English]". Now the only problem would be bossy people who feel the need to tell everyone what to do and scream the r-word whenever someone makes the slightest mistake - you still couldn't kick those, but at least you wouldn't be stuck with those 2 level uncommunicative people. It'd be SOMETHING. 
"But then everyone will set a level requirement and no noobs can even join in!" someone'll claim. I doubt it, as I said, there's always servers that welcome noobs. I host noob servers myself every now and then. I suggest ya'll do too, it's actually really enjoyable to play with people who aren't yet cocky and full of themselves and are actually willing to take feedback and suggestions. (Not orders. Don't order people around, don't be that guy. It's a team game, not a follow-the-leader kind of game.)

I'm not sure if this falls under censorship - it probably does, but I'm going to suggest it anyway - I'm not 100% for the option to hide words that might be, boohoo, hurtful. This isn't Club Penguin, but it isn't CoD either. My suggestion would be a karma system. If the game detects you said a specific bad word (I'm not saying ban swearing, I'm saying ban name calling, take the r-word for example) you could get a point added to your account. If you get enough points, say, 5? You would get a cooldown ban for a day etc. The points would wear off in a day. Maybe you could still play the Forge during the ban, but only with other banned people. See how it feels to get called the r-word when you're still on a cooldown or didn't instantly drop all that you're doing to grab the headpiece from across the level. 

I first tried to stay on the no-vote-to-kick peoples side, but there've been too many trolls and inexperienced people joining deathless and 70+ servers, etc lately, that it became REALLY hard to even win.

So as much as it hurts for me to say, but we definitely need a vote kick or something like that, even if it means that good players with low levels might get kicked. But I'm just done with the win rate lowering over time as more and more trolls and inexperienced players join the high level groups.

Archived