Serious Question: Why not only work on Don't Starve Together?

I play both, and as stated by several people already.. DST and DS are diff games and should be treated that way..

Personally, I spend more times in DS rather than DST, like 5-6 times more, reason? well its more fun for me~
as several people mentioned before as well hosting a local server is too much for my old laptop and I mostly play offline anyway
I don't really play with other people much, and me & my friend have diff free time and rarely matched to play together as well..

and I think DST also getting enough amount of update, I mean I'm enjoying lots of their events, skin updates and such~
I don't really relate how you feel that DST is not developed even now..

But I do respect other people's perspective and if you feel that way I don't know how to make you feel better man..

I took a shot on DST solo a few days ago and honestly that strain on the CPU is massive. The lag is pretty annoying tbh. A super mod would be: turn off simulating the caves if the player is not there to save resources. That would do the trick for solo players I think.

9 hours ago, Hyxaru said:

A Don't Starve DLC or update that includes all the mechanics and new content from Don't Starve Together would be much appriciated.
Things such as a ghost form. (Limited timer before the world ends, perhaps a way to forcefully die and enter ghost mode without a timer)
Better cave generation with open spaces with lots of light.
-Smoldering
-Resource variants
-Atrium
-Beefalo riding
-Moon stone
-You name it.

I play alone and hosting a local server puts allot of strain on my pc, which Don't Starve does not.

The only problem I have with this is the addition of the atrium. While most DST bosses would be reasonably difficult in DS (Toadstool is easily doable with the HP adjust mod, and so is the Bee Queen, although a few less Grumble Bees wouldn’t hurt), the Fuelweaver is an absolute PAIN to fight one on one, even with the HP mod. It’s attack patterns are just too difficult. I still failed with 2 lazy explorers, a nightmare amulet, 2 weather pains for the woven shadows, 2 thulecite crowns and suits, 20 honey poultices, 20 pieces of jerky, 2 dark swords, and 10 rock lobsters. So yeah, I think the DST features would need some rebalancing before being ported over to DS...

On 10/11/2018 at 6:30 PM, Drewey09 said:

First and foremost, Don’t Starve Together has much more features than Don’t Starve. Second of all let me point something out, Don’t Starve Together has a lot of changes from Don’t Starve you probably don’t even know about. Take the Dragonfly for example, in Don’t Starve it has about 3000 - 4000 health. In Don’t Starve Together it has 27,000. Now explain to me how a solo player in Don’t Starve Together is supposed to kill a 27,000 hp boss by him/herself. You can’t argue that “you can play it solo” as a valid excuse to neglect Don’t Starve all Together, the two games are completely different with different values and other things like that. A solo player shouldn’t be forced to fight harder bosses and put in twice the work. You have Don’t Starve Together for multiplayer, and Don’t Starve for single player. That’s the way it should be. 

I play DST by myself because I don't like people creeping around in the stuff I build/collect and I like a challenge.

The differences in HP values are noticeable in DST but not impossible to conquer. I never played DS before trying DST and I picked Wes first because I didn't know characters had real perks. They had descriptions but I thought it was funny things/backstory.

Let me tell you I had it rough at the beginning and I armed myself with lots of wiki informations but I managed. For me DST is the real challenge if you wanna try and play solo. Bosses have the HP that you'd expect them to have and it's harder to manage hound waves by yourself.

I made myself 138 gunpowder and two panflutes and it still felt like a real victory (being Wes) rather than killing the Dragonfly a bit faster than a Bearger.. it makes the whole experience feel more like a constant challenge and that's what I like about DST, for single player.

(Played DS too since and even though it's a breeze, boss-wise, I really love the DLCs though, but playing on console I'm scared I'll never play Hamlet..) Also I'm sad you have to save Wes in the adventure mode to unlock him. Heavens THIS mode is hard as heck for me lol

On 11/9/2018 at 11:23 AM, Yokoblue said:

To my knowledge, Klei gave the assets of Don't starve to a different company (CAPY) to work on DLC (shipwreck) and most likely did the same for Hamlet.(EDIT: The game was made by Klei actually, but most likely used DS original assets like Shipwreck does) Hamlet will likely be the last Don't Starve we get since as previously mentioned, its mostly the hardcore fans asking for more and more and klei just being godlike and providing :)

Actually, Don't Starve Shipwrecked was a purely collaborative effort WITH Capy studios. Hamlet is something that is being worked on solely by the Don't Starve Team without any outside help.

Back on topic, Klei has gone on the record on MULTIPLE occasions that they will NEVER be putting paid DLC expansions into Don't Starve Together, because they don't want to segregate the player base. The method they have, which I believe is currently working, is releasing free "DLC" events with The Forge and The Gorge. The only thing that can be payed for is purely cosmetic skins that directly fund Klei.

Spoiler

Which is why I'm currently several hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, and why I'm constantly having to be on the move.

But seriously though, I think the real question is:

Spoiler

KLEI WHY WON'T YOU PUT THE GORGE'S FOOD INTO THE MAIN GAME IT LOOKS SO GOOD!!!

5bea3a222947f_droolv2.png.f006519839a5489cc3a0ff1fdd72c83b.pngquagmire_food_inv_images_hires_quagmire_food_038.png.abd2a4d681f79671d68c86e857d252e5.png

SO GOOD!!!

Also, one of the Klei devs on the Don't Starve team said in a stream that they're looking into implementing some of the QoL things that are currently in DST.

Spoiler

I was also given a "maybe" on if that means we can ride beefalo in normal DS.

Spoiler

Because if I could PLEASE just LET ME RIDE THE WATER BEEFALO KLEI!!!

crysipp.png.5bfbae1a3beabaa6d68ead68da09cf1f.png

On 11/9/2018 at 7:41 AM, Karmattack said:

there probably won't be another base game DLC.

I wouldn't say yes or no on this. We've had 3 expansions over 5 years. The only way I see there not being another is if they do a Don't Starve 2 that integrates some of the existing stuff better and changes a lot of the base... but then people will probably go "Why this not in DST?"

I will say that I'm surprised Warly and Walani haven't been added into DST along with some of the other items that were a part of that DLC.

15 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

Actually, Don't Starve Shipwrecked was a purely collaborative effort WITH Capy studios. Hamlet is something that is being worked on solely by the Don't Starve Team without any outside help.

Back on topic, Klei has gone on the record on MULTIPLE occasions that they will NEVER be putting paid DLC expansions into Don't Starve Together, because they don't want to segregate the player base. The method they have, which I believe is currently working, is releasing free "DLC" events with The Forge and The Gorge. The only thing that can be payed for is purely cosmetic skins that directly fund Klei.

Reveal hidden contents

Which is why I'm currently several hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, and why I'm constantly having to be on the move.

But seriously though, I think the real question is:

Reveal hidden contents

KLEI WHY WON'T YOU PUT THE GORGE'S FOOD INTO THE MAIN GAME IT LOOKS SO GOOD!!!

5bea3a222947f_droolv2.png.f006519839a5489cc3a0ff1fdd72c83b.pngquagmire_food_inv_images_hires_quagmire_food_038.png.abd2a4d681f79671d68c86e857d252e5.png

SO GOOD!!!

Also, one of the Klei devs on the Don't Starve team said in a stream that they're looking into implementing some of the QoL things that are currently in DST.

Reveal hidden contents

I was also given a "maybe" on if that means we can ride beefalo in normal DS.

Reveal hidden contents

Because if I could PLEASE just LET ME RIDE THE WATER BEEFALO KLEI!!!

crysipp.png.5bfbae1a3beabaa6d68ead68da09cf1f.png

See this is just ridiculous to me though. Events are NOT the same thing at all like DLC, they do not add to the base game like RoG. It's quite the illusion to think that DST has received the same kind of content that DS has. Are we supposed to suspect very few actual updates to DST such as Hamlet because Klei won't release DLC to a scale like Hamlet or Shipwrecked to DST because it can't be free for some reason? Yes, there's things like Bee Queen and Fuelweaver, but im talking about to the scale where DS has received a whole new package. I can't say how dissapointed I am when I see DST have a "new" update but its just another event that will never impact the base game. 

I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about my post, I wasn't even asking for Hamlet itself to literally be added to DST. But to develop new content for DST that WOULD be compatible which is ALSO where the majority of the general Don't Starve playerbase is so it's not a bad move from a business standpoint either. The only reasons i've heard from the community about not developing such big content to DST instead is that Klei doesn't want to add *PAID* DLC to DST. So, don't make it cost money then? You get new players, and more players convinced to stick around because of such great new content being added for everyone. They literally gave Hamlet out free to anyone who played the beta at all, so thats not even a stretch. The other reason being that they don't want to alienate their playerbase who only has Don't Starve, UH HELLO, DST players are just as alienated when you add such great DLC only to Don't Starve it's the same thing.

4 hours ago, magia said:

Don't force others to play online. DS is different game than DST, and I prefer DS over DST. Perhaps KLEI should stop wasting time on skins for DST and focus more on DS instead.

Durr, great idea dude. Forget about DST altogether and only focus on DS which has a much smaller portion of the playerbase if you just look at statistics. Don't add skins OR any new updates, literally just focus on DS, it's not DS has had any big updates... oh wait.

I don't know how much they're making on DST cosmetics, but from a business standpoint, between "Release paid DS DLC" and "Release free DST DLC" the first one is clearly more profitable. If the cosmetics aren't bringing big bucks, expanding the playerbase for the sake of expanding the playerbase doesn't have much monetary worth, especially if it comes at the cost of a lot of dev time.

The beta argument is a bit silly, tbh, how many people were in the beta? And how many people buy the DLC? There aren't even that many people on these forums and a lot of us didn't get the beta.

A lot of DST players are also DS players, so why would they be alienated? They just get to play two games, one solo, one with friends. If they don't like the solo experience that's okay, but they're not being alienated or cut off from it, just as single player enthusiasts can jump into some random Forge event and try it out (or pass on it, because they prefer to play alone). I don't do Forge cause my friends don't play DS and I don't want to run the thing with some total strangers cause it's stressful. But I don't think the Forge event alienates me. It's just not for me, despite being available to me.

Each of the games has different possibilities - DS offers more freedom for developers resulting in more new mechanics and separate, paid DLCs, and DST offers multiplayer experience and options for multiplayer events/potentially profitable cosmetic additions.

And I agree with something someone said above - not everything has to be multiplayer. Every game is being turned into multiplayer nowadays and there's less and less quality content to be enjoyed alone, at one's own pace, without having multiplayer features shoved down our throats.

Just now, Ellilea said:

I don't know how much they're making on DST cosmetics, but from a business standpoint, between "Release paid DS DLC" and "Release free DST DLC" the first one is clearly more profitable. If the cosmetics aren't bringing big bucks, expanding the playerbase for the sake of expanding the playerbase doesn't have much monetary worth, especially if it comes at the cost of a lot of dev time.

The beta argument is a bit silly, tbh, how many people were in the beta? And how many people buy the DLC? There aren't even that many people on these forums and a lot of us didn't get the beta.

A lot of DST players are also DS players, so why would they be alienated? They just get to play two games, one solo, one with friends. If they don't like the solo experience that's okay, but they're not being alienated or cut off from it, just as single player enthusiasts can jump into some random Forge event and try it out (or pass on it, because they prefer to play alone).

Each of the games has different possibilities - DS offers more freedom for developers resulting in more new mechanics and separate, paid DLCs, and DST offers multiplayer experience and options for multiplayer events/potentially profitable cosmetic additions.

Lol alright, let's just forget about new content for DST altogether and only release cosmetics and limited-time events that have nothing to do with the base game. Great you are clearly looking out for the majority of DST players.

Just now, Ellilea said:

I'm looking out for the majority of DST players about as much as you're looking out for us DS players, calling for DST to be the only game out of the two to get any updates or new content :rolleyes:

Hmm yeah clearly, why not both no? Instead of releasing two big DLCs to DS in a row, go back and forth. MAYBE even don't develop 2 events in a row for DST and work on content for the base game instead of creating an event that clearly had a lot of work put into it, but instead put that work into content that is there to stay.

1 minute ago, Null1314 said:

Hmm yeah clearly, why not both no? Instead of releasing two big DLCs to DS in a row, go back and forth. MAYBE even don't develop 2 events in a row for DST and work on content for the base game instead of creating an event that clearly had a lot of work put into it, but instead put that work into content that is there to stay.

Oh c'mon, you have started this ****ty thread in Hamlet subforum asking for stoping development of DS. Apologize and go back to AFKing for skins.

1 minute ago, magia said:

Oh c'mon, you have started this ****ty thread in Hamlet subforum asking for stoping development of DS. Apologize and go back to AFKing for skins.

Right back at you given you have such a hatred for development of DST skins and to where only DS should be developed instead of working on cosmetics for DST. I agree though, I should of worded it differently as clearly they wouldn't stop development of DS for more than one reason. I seem to simply want them to put the same care they do in added content to DST like they do DS, and i've already stated why. Theres surely some game mechanics that would only work solo so when im forced to play DS I will like i am now, but i'd also like to see the same care to DST not in the form of events.

And for you're information, I buy the skins I don't do whatever you think I do like AFKing was an insult lol.

2 minutes ago, HaloFTheSun1 said:

Pretty sure Klei said they had big plans for don't Starve together.  I like both games so I have no complaints.

I'm sure they do too, im just confused why it's been such a big gap. Well, i suppose it's not hard to know why given the work put into DS and events.

1 minute ago, HaloFTheSun1 said:

We an update that gave us the celestial portal , which if I heard correctly was Klei testing something for something big.

Its more frustration, my whole argument was already stated, it's not like i dont actually know why its been so long but just what content has been developed INSTEAD such as events for example and how theres such great content but on the standalone game instead of DST. Me and my edgy boi "Edgy Rick" have the same viewpoint in that regard it seems though lul.

8 hours ago, Null1314 said:

See this is just ridiculous to me though. Events are NOT the same thing at all like DLC, they do not add to the base game like RoG. It's quite the illusion to think that DST has received the same kind of content that DS has. Are we supposed to suspect very few actual updates to DST such as Hamlet because Klei won't release DLC to a scale like Hamlet or Shipwrecked to DST because it can't be free for some reason? Yes, there's things like Bee Queen and Fuelweaver, but im talking about to the scale where DS has received a whole new package. I can't say how dissapointed I am when I see DST have a "new" update but its just another event that will never impact the base game. 

I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about my post, I wasn't even asking for Hamlet itself to literally be added to DST. But to develop new content for DST that WOULD be compatible which is ALSO where the majority of the general Don't Starve playerbase is so it's not a bad move from a business standpoint either. The only reasons i've heard from the community about not developing such big content to DST instead is that Klei doesn't want to add *PAID* DLC to DST. So, don't make it cost money then? You get new players, and more players convinced to stick around because of such great new content being added for everyone. They literally gave Hamlet out free to anyone who played the beta at all, so thats not even a stretch. The other reason being that they don't want to alienate their playerbase who only has Don't Starve, UH HELLO, DST players are just as alienated when you add such great DLC only to Don't Starve it's the same thing.

Uh...what about A New Reign? 

Wasn't that literally like last year? That was a MASSIVE DLC update to DST! 

As to why they won't make free DLC for DST...dude, do you know just how much money goes into making something like Hamlet? A LOT.

Klei is an Indie studio, and they have been clever enough to use DST as a nice revenue stream with the event skins. Keep in mind that this is a small studio, and they're currently working on FIVE games! There's Hot Lava which is in Beta, Oxygen Not Included in Early Access, Don't Starve Together, Don't Starve, and their up and coming game Griftlands. They're not a AAA studio with hundreds of thousands of employees to perfectly mark out each and every one of Wilson's beard hairs, with hundreds of millions of dollars to dump into a project at any given time.

BTW, they gave away ~40k copies of Hamlet to beta testers, but judging how there are ~4k people playing the game at any given moment (probably more seeing as it's ~10:50PM at the time of writing this), it'll most likely be profitable due to sheer word of mouth.

Also, how many times people gotta say this, DS and DST are separate games, and should be treated as such. You wouldn't put Super Mario Galaxy levels into Mario 3, so if they decide to add DLC to DST don't expect it to be ported back to the single player version. It's that simple.

Klei wants to sell as many games as they possibly can. They want every Don't starve enthusiast to purchase both games. This is their Business model.

If I purchase and like single player DS, and DS has most of the DST content merged into it, why would I buy DST and play by myself? I wouldn't.

If I purchase and like multi player DST, and DST has most of the DS content merged into it, why would I buy DS? I wouldn't.

Klei wants the content of DS and DST to diverge as much as possible. Diverging content maximizes revenue.

10 hours ago, jeffhartley3925 said:

Klei wants to sell as many games as they possibly can. They want every Don't starve enthusiast to purchase both games. This is their Business model.

If I purchase and like single player DS, and DS has most of the DST content merged into it, why would I buy DST and play by myself? I wouldn't.

If I purchase and like multi player DST, and DST has most of the DS content merged into it, why would I buy DS? I wouldn't.

Klei wants the content of DS and DST to diverge as much as possible. Diverging content maximizes revenue.

Oof. Now that's a cynical way of looking at it.

I prefer to think about it like most mobile games. They have an original version, then they make a sequel version with a subtitle or a 2 slapped onto it. The original and the new game still get updated regularly, however there's no cross-over between the two.

Now time for a bit of backstory, Klei decided to give in to the fan's demand for a multiplayer version of Don't Starve. However after looking into it they realized that if they were going to go through with this, they were going to have to completely remake the game from the ground up. So rather than completely scrapping DS as we know it and remaking it, they decided to make a new, standalone addition to DS, which became DST.

However I'd like to believe that they wanted to further distinguish it from just being "Don't Starve...but online", they made the free DLC A New Reign, which established Charlie's reign on the Constant, and the ways that she has changed and improved upon Maxwell's designs. It is no longer "Don't Starve...but online", it has become its own entity. However that didn't mean that Klei was just going to abandon the world of DS, so they added the "Home Sea Home" expansion to Shipwrecked, and also started working on Hamlet.

TL;DR

People thought "Well if DST is just Don't Starve...but online, then why should I buy it? I'm have no friends, and I hate playing with people online."

And then Klei waved a whole bunch of lore in their faces, and the temptation of beefalo riding, and they were all like:

Image result for drake meme

Archived