Can someone explain if owning and upgrading a house is even worth it?

I'm confused what im supposed to do with the house you can own, I know that you can upgrade it too but for the most part its cosmetic stuff and even if the house can be upgraded into being bigger and have some things like planters, it still doesn't persuade me into thinking it's better than basing in the middle of other biomes. If I focus on making my base in my house, the only upside I see is that it's safer both from monsters and other outside forces like weather. But I think if you are experienced enough it's seriously a downside to have to travel SO far just to get to most of the other biomes. I feel like wasted 50 Oincs on a house because I don't feel like spending most of my day walking to where I wanna go. Has anyone preferred basing in you're own house instead or do you just make a typical base in the wild like I think i should? Sure, if I could build that house anywhere myself i'd love it but it's so far away from everything that it doesn't seem worth atleast yet. On top of all that, I'd have to constantly spend Oincs to further improve my house where maybe i should be spending it on other things like a Tam O Shanter or Cutlass.

I'm not an advanced player, but I'd guess whether it's worth owning it or not depends on the map. Some maps, the house/hamlet is placed with easy access to other areas, but I've had a map where the village was in a dead end area, and the house at the very edge of the side that was the dead end.

And yeah... I'm always worried about it burning down with all my stuff in it too... 

2 hours ago, Lycasta said:

I'm not an advanced player, but I'd guess whether it's worth owning it or not depends on the map. Some maps, the house/hamlet is placed with easy access to other areas, but I've had a map where the village was in a dead end area, and the house at the very edge of the side that was the dead end.

And yeah... I'm always worried about it burning down with all my stuff in it too... 

I’m pretty sure that if the house burns, all items inside are still safe. Also, you can put a fire pit inside the house without the pigs extinguishing it

23 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

I’m pretty sure that if the house burns, all items inside are still safe. Also, you can put a fire pit inside the house without the pigs extinguishing it

Previous report says he/she lost all the things inside the house when it had burnt.

Building a base somewhere else had been impossible for me, because in every single biome seems to be a threat which is either attracted by light, continuously spawns enemies, has pogs looting your chests, or pikos picking up items on the ground and becoming hostile during a full moon. Also, interacting with the town has so far been very rewarding, I'd probably want to build my base there, anyway.

You can also drop oincs and food on the ground in the house, so you don't have to farm tons of wood for chests in the early game.

A very common mistake might be that players think that they have to go back to their base every night. No, you don't. Plan for multiple-days trips. As soon as you start exploring the pigruins spread across the entire map, you won't really have another option, anyway.

Furthermore, all improvements on the house are purely cosmetic. It even comes with a free lightsource (Oh, btw, you have free light during the night as soon as you own a house). Some people might find this unnecessary, others enjoy this very much, and that's alright. Also, as far as I know, the housing feature had actually been requested by many players.

Regarding the "Losing-all-items-inside house-through-fire"-discussion: Happened to me once, house was repaired next morning, all items still there. If the items disappeared, this was most probably a bug.

7 minutes ago, Ellilea said:

Can it actually be bigger though? There's hardly enough space in the one tiny room for all the fun stuff you can buy :< Not to mention any additional stuff like chests.

I would love to have multiple rooms, but that might detract from the exploration aspect of the game so it's unlikely this will become the case.  

1 minute ago, ucw said:

I would love to have multiple rooms, but that might detract from the exploration aspect of the game so it's unlikely this will become the case.  

Could not disagree more! Nothing prompts in-depth exploration like the need to decorate your beloved home with all kinds of unique and rare junk, puh-lease! :rolleyes:

I'd really like to be able to place the house in a custom spot though, surround it by farms and all the other goodies.

Houses are pretty much hyperspace instead of being a big chest like many people claim to be.

I really don't know why streamers just build their base right outside the house and just put items on the ground inside the house, It's like they refuse to do anything with it and squander the potential they have.

In the closed beta and now, you could and can put normal structures inside the house. In fact put a fan inside it and pretty much the other two season a non issue inside it.

Here's an example of a "base" inside a home that you can attain in mid game, the decorative stuff isn't needed obviously:

OML0KoM.jpg

I'd really like to be able to place the house in a custom spot though, surround it by farms and all the other goodies.

You can though.

While there isn't multiple rooms per house, You can get as many houses as you want by the end game.

19 hours ago, Zinglon said:

Previous report says he/she lost all the things inside the house when it had burnt.

When the guards burnt my house down, the pigs repaired it and the only thing I lost was the cosmetic upgrade. The inside remained unchanged. 

A house is great because it's in the village, so you're close to the shops, and encourages you to partake in the pig economy. Since the only way to get great items is in the shops of the second island i think living in the house is worth it. 

23 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

correct. My house burned last night. Hammer it down, Hammer it again, and it appears as a Shanty House once more with all the stuff inside intact

15 minutes ago, Kathar said:

OMG, I never know that

And for my burned house, the pigs repaired it with all the itens inside too.

Yes!  Somebody else posted you can steal the deed, and I have been doing so ever since!  One thing I haven't tried -- steal the deed and stay in the room all night.  Will he notice when he wakes up?

1 hour ago, ucw said:

One thing I haven't tried -- steal the deed and stay in the room all night.  Will he notice when he wakes up?

I just tested it, and it looks like he won't notice- I stole the security contract as well and he just replaced it with a new one, same as if I'd bought it.

1 hour ago, Icetail said:

I just tested it, and it looks like he won't notice- I stole the security contract as well and he just replaced it with a new one, same as if I'd bought it.

Sneaky!  Yeah, I stayed all night and had the same response.  I tried to steal food from one of the stores but the shop lady kept telling me things like "come back on the morrow," so I guess there are limits to what we can steal.  Have to test all the shops now.  

14 minutes ago, ucw said:

Sneaky!  Yeah, I stayed all night and had the same response.  I tried to steal food from one of the stores but the shop lady kept telling me things like "come back on the morrow," so I guess there are limits to what we can steal.  Have to test all the shops now.  

You can only steal things at night from the Mayor’s shop, you are unable to steal from any other shops for obvious reasons :P.

Archived