What do you think of the new skins?

FortuneCat

Hello, in advance I like the event and this will be a post, to comment among all (or at least I hope it does not become a war field) about the design of the new skins as its color palette

My problem after testing the beta (at least as far as the sand is concerned), only falls on the skins that were released just leave the event beta, the designs are debatable as a matter of taste, being for me the more showy (WX-78, Wolfgang and Maxwell) as the most bland (Wendy, Wickerbottom and Willow) that hurt me for being the most used.

But coming back to the subject, what most leaves me wondering if this will be the first batch that I will not buy is: its palette of muted colors referring to the fire, which does not transmit that volcanic heat sensation due to its absence of effects as in some skins punctual (the speed stick, like Wilson's new lamp), snatching all grandeur like the WX-78 helmet

The objects, on the other hand, are Glorious, something great for the characters but really great.

PS: yes, I'm sorry to use the Google translator

I honestly thought Wickerbottom had one of the cooler skins outta the Forge Beta. Of course my favorite is probably WX's Furnace skin. Honestly the ones I'm looking forward to the most are the Funko Pop figure skins and the thulicite suit skins. The Wilson lantern looks especially great and I just know that it will be the one that people will want to get the most.

i think they're alright. they feel a little more befitting to the forge, but i think the old ones were more diverse and creative for the most part. not to mention, more polished. 

still though, i love wes' new skin. for some reason it felt obvious to me to give him an eye-mask. he strikes me as the haughty swordsman archetype that dances with a rose while he masterfully fights off bandits then vanishes into the night, never saying a word. just me? at least it feels much more befitting than making him an enraged duelist with no pants and half a head of hair.

7 minutes ago, EthanTheMime said:

i think they're alright. they feel a little more befitting to the forge, but i think the old ones were more diverse and creative for the most part. not to mention, more polished. 

still though, i love wes' new skin. for some reason it felt obvious to me to give him an eye-mask. he strikes me as the haughty swordsman archetype that dances with a rose while he masterfully fights off bandits then vanishes into the night, never saying a word. just me? at least it feels much more befitting than making him an enraged duelist with no pants and half a head of hair.

Let's be objective and realistic, the ideas are not bad, but they are not well polished even more when we are going to pay for these skins (at least a large part of the community)

A change not in the designs (although Wendy in her face and Willow in her clothes would not be bad) if not in the color palette of these, the others are vbonitas bright colors with good convincing, without forgetting in the design

really some retouching would not be bad, not in its change but the volume of hair as in the position of the hair and clothes

I find most too exaggerated. I get that it's fire themed but dual colored hair will always be a "deviantart oc" thing to me. Some outfits dont fit the "desperate fight for survival" that Forge had and look more like superhero costumes. Others are just kinda bland. Since it's such a specific theme most of the heads only work with their own outfits

Wilson: i'm sorry chief but this is too anime for me
Willow: Actually perfect. That's all. There will never be a better willow skin than this one.
Wolf: Ugh it's okay i guess but doesnt work with most gear or any other skin.
Wendy: IMO It's a busier and clutered version of her first forge skin. Not bad but worse than the previous one.
WX: Fitting but a little too basic and his lower body doesnt match the complexity of upper half. Looks like normal wx wearing pads.
Wicker: Pretty good but the claws fingers is a little too much. 
Woodie: Ok by itself by why a biker jacket? Everyone else has a fighter theme.
Wes: Also good by itself but why a flashy zorro outfit? He is a "swordsmime hero" fighting for survival in an arena with no swords?
Maxwell: simple but he makes it work, he looks like an evil space emperor.
Wigfrid: Extremely bland skin, especially compared to others. It's supposed to be armor but looks like a rejected superhero outfit.
Webber: A little tryhard imo but he is a monster so he gets away with it. There could be lava spiders like that in DS one day.
Winona: Also tries too hard and looks superheroish.

I dont want to dimish Klei's work but i always loved how Dont Starve has a very unique 1900s asthetic and how commited the skins are to keeping it senseful in universe, unlike most games that jump on popular trends (fortnite) or are just lazy sellouts (valve). But now that Klei is openly selling skins, i have to wonder if they're priority here was to make the "flashiest" skins possible now.

But i'm probably wrong because i'm sure most people will love these skins for how flashy they are. I play tf2. i know that people would rather look flashy than good so i better get used to seeing a lot of Wilson fire anime hair. If i dropped i would use Willow, Wx, Maxwell, Webber, Wicker, Woodie and Wes cause i think they look great by themselves.

6 minutes ago, FortuneCat said:

Let's be objective and realistic, the ideas are not bad, but they are not well polished even more when we are going to pay for these skins (at least a large part of the community)

A change not in the designs (although Wendy in her face and Willow in her clothes would not be bad) if not in the color palette of these, the others are vbonitas bright colors with good convincing, without forgetting in the design

really some retouching would not be bad, not in its change but the volume of hair as in the position of the hair and clothes

i agree. i still do love these, it's just something about these doesnt resonate with me. i think its the vibrance and the eccentric designs, it makes them feel a bit... exaggerated? they'll definitely look a little off when introduced to the base game, kind of like the snowfallen set IMO. but i really don't care; they're still neat skins. i just think klei missed the mark a bit

I love the Wickerbottom set! some of the rest are better than others.. the Wig head tastes bland and the wendy one is too much. but most of all im so excited for the spear skins! finally no more ugly default spear :D. kind of silly tho that Wigfrid cant use the spear skins since they're her weapons in the forge 

I'm not a fan of the portraits. The lines aren't dark enough and the proportions seem off (I know Maxwell has a big chin but good lord. His head looks like a banana) The skins themselves are pretty good though. I just hope that the portraits aren't fully finished yet.

3 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

Triggered that they took away the Pith Pike... It was a good skin for a Gladiator Spear.....

I think that might either return as soon as we kill enough Boarillas or as soon as Beta ends. There's no reason to delete such a nice Weapön.

I love Wes' latest skins, but it's unfortunate that lots of people just don't understand the context of his outfits. Wes the Sulphur Pimpernel swordsmime is actually a reference to the 20th century novel Scarlet Pimpernel 

Percy (the guy disguising himself as the masked hero in the Scarlet Pimpernel) is seen as a dumb, effeminate weakling (and purposefully plays dumb) while he's actually a very smart and cool (and still quite effeminate) hero and swordsman! Saving people at pre-French Revolution times in disguise.

IMG_3596.JPG

IMG_3595.JPG

IMG_3590.JPG

ALSO the reason why the portraits look different is because artist Jeff drew them, not Toni who is the usual DST artist 

1 hour ago, SDragonhead said:

I love Wes' latest skins, but it's unfortunate that lots of people just don't understand the context of his outfits. Wes the Sulphur Pimpernel swordsmime is actually a reference to the 20th century novel Scarlet Pimpernel 

Percy (the guy disguising himself as the masked hero in the Scarlet Pimpernel) is seen as a dumb, effeminate weakling (and purposefully plays dumb) while he's actually a very smart and cool (and still quite effeminate) hero and swordsman! Saving people at pre-French Revolution times in disguise.

IMG_3596.JPG

IMG_3595.JPG

IMG_3590.JPG

ALSO the reason why the portraits look different is because artist Jeff drew them, not Toni who is the usual DST artist 

that's pretty interesting! it's hard to tell when klei is making a reference or just being weird, tbh.

also jeff's portraits are literally just a worse version of toni's. i always assume that when he does a portrait they just didn't spend as much time on it.

I am most excited about Woodie's and Wes' in particular (I practically squealed when I first saw them). All around I do enjoy the superhero aesthetic. IMO the garish color pallet is fine because it fits so well with that campy golden age comic book look.

Thoughts on the individual characters:

• Wilson: Handsome. Very Prince Zuko.
  • Willow: Nice to see her smile! Judging by the descriptions, is she supposed to be some kind of ceremonial fire dancer? 
  • Wolfgang: Fire chest hair. XD
  • Wendy: Interesting that she is given the phoenix theming, but I guess it makes sense since her summoning Abigail is sort of like "rising from the ashes." At least that's the connection the flavor text is making. Reminded me a bit of of X-Men's Jean Grey/Phoenix.
  • WX-78: It's cool, but it'd be funnier if they were made to look like the Iron Man suit.
  • Wickerbottom: I love her. Cool eye makeup.
  • Woodie: Wow! Woodie never looked so cool! Although I feel like there's an anime reference I'm missing, it could just be the say the scar looks.
  • Wes: Astounding. Stupendous. Exceptional. Perfect in every way. 
  • Maxwell: It fits him, but I'm not crazy about it. The first thing that jumped in my head when I saw it was Darkseid.
  • Wigfrid: Literally Wonder Woman. I love it.
  • Webber: Very happy to see such a colorful Webber. I like how it's based off of human skull pareidolia on animals. Not sure if there is a spider species that has that feature, all I can think of is the Death's head hawkmoth.
  • Winona: Is this a Naruto?
6 hours ago, SDragonhead said:

I love Wes' latest skins, but it's unfortunate that lots of people just don't understand the context of his outfits.

I worry about this, too! And not just for Wes' skins, Klei puts a lot of interesting historical references into their designs that I fear are not fully appreciated.

Spoiler

For example... people confusing Webber's Victorian skin for an anime girl thing... Sigh...

1 hour ago, ModsterMash said:

Winona: Is this a Naruto?

I'm not sure why the portrait looks the way it does, it was pretty obvious to me at least that those were supposed to be welding goggles and not a headband, which uh, would fit a lot better with the idea that she's a tradeswoman?

Man, as for the rest of these, half of 'em I really dig, but the other half I gotta say, these are some of the worst ones yet. Wendy and Maxwell are definitely the most egregious out of the bunch. Wendy's is just a less detailed, more busy version of last year's skin and though turning Maxwell into some sort of fire elemental bursting at the seams could've been cool, I guess? Those cracks look like veins. Maxwell looks like some sort of pulsating tumour person. Gross.

There's also something off about a lot of the lineart, seems a lot more simpler than usual. I dunno, could just be me on that front.

Anyways, big-ups to Wilson, WX, Woodie, Wes, Webbz and Winbona. The other ones? Hard pass.

3 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Honestly, my only issue with the Wes skin is that the eyes look very slightly off. One eye is slightly higher then the other.

Googly eyes 

IMG_3636.JPG

But he's actually normal, if you ever looked closely at Wes' eyes they always looked like that

IMG_4642.GIF

IMG_3597.PNG

But the mask emphasises the googly eye look Wes has

Checkmate again

Archived