Too "scared" to continue playing?

Hello fellow survivors!

I recently tried DS, and I'm REALLY loving it so far! It's one of the most immersive and artistic games that I've ever played, if not the most. But after a while of playing, getting to day 26 on my second try (I didn't play blind) and having a solid base with a lot of fun stuff I gathered along the way, I started to get nervous about continuing, simply because I was too afraid to keep on playing, should I die and lose all of my progress. :frown:

So now, whenever I want my DS fix, I reconsider playing the game, and sometimes decide against it and go watch someone play it on YouTube instead because I just really don't want to die and lose my progress D: - So basically, the thought of dying in the game keeps me from playing it at some times. o.o

And I wanted to know if anyone else have been, or are experiencing this as well? Or if it's just me being a wuss :culpability:

I just want to keep my otto...

Edited by InsaneBen

Wuss :PDying and learning from your mistakes is what the game is all about...Then you get to do things differently, play as new characters, and generate different worlds.With the new system it doesn't take very long to unlock all your crafting, so you really don't lose anything but time in the long run.If you find yourself attached to your base, then ask yourself what the point in having it is. It's not the sims afterall, but in that respect you will get to design a new one after you die. Create little challenges for yourself as you play, so each play through is different and be as creative as you can with your time to make the game more enjoyable. Whatever took you 26 days to make will take half that once you know what you want and get to it immediately on the next play through. Welcome to the game.

Avoid danger.Win game.Good.

You can't win the game yet, hurr durr

Wuss :PDying and learning from your mistakes is what the game is all about...Then you get to do things differently, play as new characters, and generate different worlds.With the new system it doesn't take very long to unlock all your crafting, so you really don't lose anything but time in the long run.If you find yourself attached to your base, then ask yourself what the point in having it is. It's not the sims afterall, but in that respect you will get to design a new one after you die. Create little challenges for yourself as you play, so each play through is different and be as creative as you can with your time to make the game more enjoyable. Whatever took you 26 days to make will take half that once you know what you want and get to it immediately on the next play through.

I should probably re-phrase what I wrote in my original post.. I was at my second playthrough when the nervousness hit me, now I've been dying a few times and I'm doing good so far. But I guess you're right, I should probably create some challenges for me to go through with every time I start a new game. I often find myself just scavenging and herding resources that I don't know what to do with until I get killed by some monster that I didn't notice. So yeah :abnormal:

Well, he had a point there, so you are fleeing from the facts. You are the wuss :D

How am I a wuss? You are not considering the advice I gave him. You are the wuss.

And what are you talking about? "Fleeing the facts"? Notice the "yet?"

We are all wusses.. Pfft. :p

I compleatly understand what you are going through. read through this post to back up your game and if you die you can just restore it. http://forums.kleientertainment.com/archive/index.php/t-1012.html.I know this is probably frowned on by this forum but I personally think the game would be really fun if there were quick save with the F5 key or something like that. If I am in trouble and can run away in the game I frequent pause the action before death and go back up my 211670 directory and then come back to the game. If I stay alive I keep on but if I die I exit the game delete the 211670 directory and then rename the copy back to 211670 and restart the game. I then have the auto save from the morning. I personally started hating the game after about the 10th time made it to about 45 to 60 days and then died. That is when I decided to just make my own quick save plan. I suggest you do the same. I like to fight the spiders and I am a meat eater. "F^@%" farming as that is boring. The game should have more combat and more monsters. And do love the insanity update and i try to keep my insanity level at bout 35 so I am constantly fighting to survive the insane monsters while trying to kill pigs to eat. ;)Personally I think the "rouge" way that this game is trying to go is wrong as it make you play really safe and that gets to be boring. I like "action and risk" not "plant a sew". And please all the "rouge" people who might read this who like to die in order to learn something. Understand I did learn something. How to die and be reborn with the morning light ;)

Edited by ChristianS
spelling

You are choosing to play safe because you are afraid of dying in a video game....the problem is your own. If there were saves/reloads and everything made easy it stops being a survival/roguelike and becomes an action/adventure game.If you want to play an action adventure game there are thousands available, stop trying to wish this into one because there are plenty of us who actually read the product description before purchasing and knew what we were getting.

You are choosing to play safe because you are afraid of dying in a video game....the problem is your own.

If there were saves/reloads and everything made easy it stops being a survival/roguelike and becomes an action/adventure game.

If you want to play an action adventure game there are thousands available, stop trying to wish this into one because there are plenty of us who actually read the product description before purchasing and knew what we were getting.

Wow, it amazes me at how defensive people have got about the game's difficulty. Those who argue that it's not hard enough gets annihilated with reasons as to why it's great just the way it is, and those who argue saying that it's too hard will get torn to shreds too, apparently.

What I meant with this thread was that I found it fascinating that I was genuinely "scared" to play on because I didn't want to get permadeath and lose all I had. All I was asking for was if other people have experienced the same feelings, not an advice on how to make the game easier, nor harder. I like the game just the way it is. :abnormal:

You are choosing to play safe because you are afraid of dying in a video game....the problem is your own. If there were saves/reloads and everything made easy it stops being a survival/roguelike and becomes an action/adventure game.If you want to play an action adventure game there are thousands available, stop trying to wish this into one because there are plenty of us who actually read the product description before purchasing and knew what we were getting.

The thing I don't get is why this game can not be both an action adventure game and a rouge like game? If you want to die and have to start complete over that is fine. But what if there is a market for the rest of us. Dose this game have to be limited by your narrow view? All of you rouge like people need to get off your angry, indignant high horses and understand that yours is not the only way that this game can be played. Accept it and let go. As for making this an all inclusive game there is not very much else needed to implement this. you could have one game as action adventure and one as rouge. This is a couple extra settings and screens. They already do saves every game day. Why can't I just reload two game days ago or maybe 10. They just need to put in the load screens and separate save files for slots of the same game. ALSO I SAVE AND RELOAD WHEN I FEEL LIKE IT ALREADY! like I said in an earlier post. AND I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO DOES THIS!. If Keli doesn't want a bigger market for less computer savvy people then that is fine. Their loss but you "Rouge" guys need to chill with the attitude. There is a market for people who do not want to die and start over from the beginning with nothing.

[MENTION=10549]InsaneBen[/MENTION]

Welcome to THE game :D

Try not to mind all the snarky old timers...they make this forum amusing.

Different people have different reactions to perma-death games. Sounds like you might want to learn "save scumming" as the others call it so you can restore your games to a known point. Right now I do that more for dealing with unexpected game crashes, glitches or my bad programming. :D

If you are on the steam version that is. Or you could just play 4 times, once for each save slot?

Oh and remember the point of this game is to die.....sooner or later.....but one day....so make it epic!

I think some of the people are not going to let there characters die. I think there are a couple of people who are over 500 days. Me, I made it to I think 70 once but got board. I do let mine die but when I LET THEM DIE. If they die before I want then I reload an earlier version. Wouldn't you like to take on 5 spider queens at the same time and win. I did but, it took about 10 deaths/reloads to do it.I think this game is funner when you can take chances. If you really play it in a "rouge" style the game play ends up stunted and flat. You don't want to take any risks. You can just sit in the rabbit fields to survive and live 100 or more days. Probably forever. The game needs combat and risk. You can keep making garlands and never go insane. What is the fun of that?I want to go insane and have 4 nightmare monsters hunting me while I am killing a village of pigs and putting their meat in my crock pot so I can gain back sanity. I did this just the other day and it took about 15 death/restores. I could not find any flowers and did not have any food. I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Fighting, cooking, saving, dying, reloading, putting meat in crockpots. All the while trying to do this before darkness came. It was cool and only possible by reloading from a current and rapid save point strategy. It would have been even better with an F5 save and F6 load key! I think they need to put user save games into the finished product. Let there be an option for hardcore rouge like and then an option for action adventure with all the saving options that are in a normal game. Not 5 separate games. 5 save slots for each current game. That way you can go back and fix your mistakes. If I had to play this game as a farmer and hiding under a rock and my only real moment of fighting would be the hounds then it would suck. Sorry for the rant but I think they should consider real save options in this game.

Edited by ChristianS
spelling

I think some of the people are not going to let there characters die. I think there are a couple of people who are over 500 days. Me, I made it to I think 70 once but got board. I do let mine die but when I LET THEM DIE. If they die before I want then I reload an earlier version. Wouldn't you like to take on 5 spider queens at the same time and win. I did but, it took about 10 deaths/reloads to do it.I think this game is funner when you can take chances. If you really play it in a "rouge" style the game play ends up stunted and flat. You don't want to take any risks. You can just sit in the rabbit fields to survive and live 100 or more days. Probably forever. The game needs combat and risk. You can keep making garlands and never go insane. What is the fun of that?I want to go insane and have 4 nightmare monsters hunting me while I am killing a village of pigs and putting their meat in my crock pot so I can gain back sanity. I did this just the other day and it took about 15 death/restores. I could not find any flowers and did not have any food. I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Fighting, cooking, saving, dying, reloading, putting meat in crockpots. All the while trying to do this before darkness came. It was cool and only possible by reloading from a current and rapid save point strategy. It would have been even better with an F5 save and F6 load key! I think they need to put user save games into the finished product. Let there be an option for hardcore rouge like and then an option for action adventure with all the saving options that are in a normal game. Not 5 separate games. 5 save slots for each current game. That way you can go back and fix your mistakes. If I had to play this game as a farmer and hiding under a rock and my only real moment of fighting would be the hounds then it would suck. Sorry for the rant but I think they should consider real save options in this game.

I like the no save yourself out of this thing. It works for FTL and it works for Don't Starve. They make death a real danger, not just something that forces you to go to previous save state.

I like the no save yourself out of this thing. It works for FTL and it works for Don't Starve. They make death a real danger, not just something that forces you to go to previous save state.

But can you see that it does not have to be one way or another or does everyone think that it has to be only one way. How would giving options stop you from playing the game you want. You would still have permanent death and I would have optional save. This could be an option on a menu. Just like Diablo 3 hardcore mode. In that mode you die, you die. Why is everyone so set on the closing down this game to only a small set of people. You can be guaranteed that there are more people who do not want permanent death then do.