[Game Update] - 291278

1 hour ago, aymanoracle said:

yes but soooooo many bugs

Early access = bugs and unfinished content. I`m not sure what you expect. Want it to work properly wait for release.

Crashes are fixed up fastest. If you help the devs even faster. If you don`t want at least don`t comlain. It doesn`t add anything.

• Sad 1

Yay, thx for update.

I have a question, though: how do you store "Solid" materials, i.e. Carbon Dioxide or Oxygen? Can't find it in shipping and containers
Or am I missing something?

P.S. Rare materials too (i.e. Fullerene)

Edited by rafker
  • Like 1

Please hunt down the huge FPS drop when using jetpacks. This kinda stopped a playtrough for me,... 3-6fps just does not cut it, b ut i don't want to avoid jetpacks. :(

Having amazing toys and not being able to use them is cruel!

For reference: I added a reply to a bug report (that honestly does not have much info in it,...), with steps to reproduce, a possible reason AND a possible fix. Check it out here (pending aproval comment) 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TechEnthusiast said:

Please hunt down the huge FPS drop when using jetpacks.

That's easy. Click a dupe in a jet pack and check the pathing. Then you know why the FPS takes a nose dive whenever you have a dupe in one.

I did mention it when Klei introduced them that it would be a nightmare on FPS without even having tested it. At the moment they're n00b traps that will kill your game.

Edited by Saturnus
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

That's easy. Click a dupe in a jet pack and check the pathing. Then you know why the FPS takes a nose dive whenever you have a dupe in one.

I did mention it when Klei introduced them that it would be a nightmare on FPS without even having tested it. At the moment they're n00b traps that will kill your game.

They actually calculate the pathing with jetpacks, if they have jetpacks available. no matter of in use or not.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, k_nicole said:

Shov Vole can no longer dig through nearly impenetrable materials.View full update

If this is the case,  what about the shov voles that already tunneled through a neutronium tiles (along the side of the maps).  are they going to be forever stuck there. because we can't exactly dig them out.

Yay, I was having a heap of these issues in the last couple of days, had a guy spend the entire cycle on a piece of snow and had to manually move him off it to get him to stop trying to mine it as it was forming.  Looking forward to the path finding fixes too, they are constantly going through a set of four doors even though I gave them a short cut, etc.

However, what's with it patching while I'm in the game and crashing me out to update, has to be a nicer way although this could be Steam's fault too.

Edited by Chained Phoenix

7 hours ago, Saturnus said:

I didnt click any jetpacker yet, but shouldnt his pathing be similar to those of a puft?

9 minutes ago, blash365 said:

I didnt click any jetpacker yet, but shouldnt his pathing be similar to those of a puft?

I think that in case of pufts the pathing is quite different. They only move a few tiles each time, so the CPU only calculates a very small range of possibilities.

5 hours ago, blash365 said:

The problem is that a single checkpoint with one suit that is opened to space with a jet suit available will cause every dupe in your colony to calculate all possible paths for that single jetsuit, as all of them can go and use it. That plus all the places they can land and everything the can interact with. This adds up pretty fast.

12 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Do they create a full grid for every tile? If so, then that is very likely fixeable.

If I understand correctly then the pathing is divided into two parts, the traverseable subgraph is updated every time the map changes and the pathing on that graph happens every time a dupe is finished with a task.

I've noticed that when the game progresses the subgraph pathing itself isn't actually slowing down the game as much as the building of the graph. If you have a laggy game, then try to observe this as well: There might be stutters happening when duplicants finish building a tile/ladder or dig something up. But if you just let them do other stuff the game is smoother, at least for me.

So what I wonder is the following: Does the subgraph update or do they recreate it every time the map changes? If the second is true then there might be ways of drastically increasing the performance by actually updating the subgraph by narrowing down the checks that have to be made. If this is the case then jetpacks wouldn't decrease the performance as much in comparison.

Another thought is that a full grid might not be necessairy at all. I've read about people complaining about performance when they use jetpacks in space, which is an indication for a full grid graph. The thing is: Does the duplicant actually need to be able to visit every point in the grid? Alot of them have no interaction possible because the dupes can't reach anthing from there and should only be used to account for edges on the graph.

Those are just some random thoughts, bottom line is that I assume Klei will fix this stuff sooner or later because right now it seems like some of this is still a bit barebones/brute force at first glance.

53 minutes ago, clickrush said:

If I understand correctly then the pathing is divided into two parts, the traverseable subgraph is updated every time the map changes and the pathing on that graph happens every time a dupe is finished with a task.

If it were only so. When a dupe decides to use a jet pack, note this is at a different time prior to actually putting the jet pack on, the pathing map is updated every tick, ie. 5 times per second. You can observe this by pausing, deconstructing a sand or regolith tiles to drop, click a dupe in a jet pack, observe the pathing, and unpause. The pathing map when a dupe has decided to put on a jet pack covers every tile on the map the dupe can access regardless if in a jet pack or not, and is updated every tick to include the falling block of sand, even if the dupe is not moving.

Edited by Saturnus

17 hours ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

Mate, would you calm down? You bought the early access game for a low price. You can't expect to buy fully cut diamonds with just a nickel.

WOW you really know what is a "low price" for every people!!!  you know, the're are 250+ countries except USA here on Earth.

5 minutes ago, linainverse said:

WOW you really know what is a "low price" for every people!!!  you know, the're are 250+ countries except USA here on Earth.

Actually there's precisely 195 recognized countries in the World. Nothing else to add than that titbit factoid. I'll see myself out.

Edited by Saturnus
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

If it were only so. When a dupe decides to use a jet pack, note this is at a different time prior to actually putting the jet pack on, the pathing map is updated every tick, ie. 5 times per second. You can observe this by pausing, deconstructing a sand or regolith tiles to drop, click a dupe in a jet pack, observe the pathing, and unpause. The pathing map when a dupe has decided to put on a jet pack covers every tile on the map the dupe can access regardless if in a jet pack or not, and is updated every tick to include the falling block of sand, even if the dupe is not moving.

This only means there is even more room for improvement, which is a great thing!

2 hours ago, linainverse said:

It doesn't matter what country you're from, it's low price considering that finished games cost 50$-100$. And there is a reason for such a high price - do you know how hard it is to make such complex game? Don't hate for no reason.

I look at each new technology/mechanic as a proof of concept on the part of the devs.  they then go on to improve it and so on.  so yeah, fully expect things to change for the better.   remember at first we had 2 critters with no morphs :)

1 hour ago, DaveSatx said:

I look at each new technology/mechanic as a proof of concept on the part of the devs.  they then go on to improve it and so on.  so yeah, fully expect things to change for the better.   remember at first we had 2 critters with no morphs :)

We had morbs from the start. You just had to kill a dupe or overfill an outhouse to get them

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

We had morbs from the start. You just had to kill a dupe or overfill an outhouse to get them

Wait... they were not referring to Morbs and Hatches as the first two critters (which is different to the morph versions of course)? To be frank, I was not playing when Light Bugs, Slicksters and Dreckos were introduced so I dunno when they were but welp...