Book Club

ResettePlayer

Found some raw Shin Lupin III scans, and it's been a blast.

I mean, I'm not saying I always know whats going on, so, if someone can please explain what happened here, then...

774fa03b-7640-45b3-acae-bc8afffc7ba5(5).thumb.png.2ed3ddb2f6c015fb0784528cfb5e7f66.png

It's a lot more similar in tone too the anime, and, as you can see from that page above, the art is still gorgeous. It starts of rather rough, Lupin occasionally goes back to waaaay pre New Adventures morals, but it's always treated as the butt of a joke, and the women always whips out of clever trick and a slapstick gag ensues. However, this aspect of Lupin's character goes away pretty quickly.

One very interesting addition is Detective Melon (the guy with the funny hat shooting the kid in the above picture), a sixth main character serving as a Dirty Harry-esc companion to Zeni. He brings a fun dynamic too the group, but has sadly made only one appearance in the anime, and even then he was changed to a completely different character. The only reference ever made to Melon's original character is a gag with the fruit at the end of the episode.

But yeah, Shin Lupin III good.

Also I've been reading the book of Lost Tales. It's been an emotional experience to say the least, with Christopher Tolkien dying and all. I'll post a more in depth thing on it when I'm done (which might be a while)

charlie-and-the-chocolate.gifI'm now reading this.

Boooooy, Gene Wilder improved this. Wonka in the book is a hyper child. The Oompa Loompas are sociopathic minions that laugh at people's misfortunes and look like bearded eloi from the Time Machine.

I wish both adaptations included the scene where Charlie was near death before he got the lucky ticket. IT makes him getting the ticket way more earned. Neither version has Charlie looking like a human skeleton... But definitely prefer Grandpa Joe's personality being a con artist in the Wilder version.

After finishing, I'll read the sequel.

Okay, Hot take time: Gene Wilder version of Willy Wonka is the best version. Finished the book and Gene Wilder is the best wonka for subtly, Grandpa Joe is written like a con artist which adds conflict that drives Charlie's character into a rounded character, the grandparents are sweet people(which I assume they'd open full arms to Wonka instead of being irritatingly contrary).

Though the ending with the glass elevator going into the sky makes me wonder if Dahl was inspired by Doctor Who with the tardis. Heck, the next doctor if they made him a purple motif'd midget would really reference Wonka.

s-l300.jpg

So yeah, reading the sequel now and Dahl has definitely went to the "IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE" trope territory. The grandparents are horrible people except for Joe. It's like the filmmaker switched the personality of the four.

I've recently got ahold of my brother's collection of books once more and am currently embroiled in reading Pirate Latitudes. Still have not finished For Whom The Bell Tolls yet but with a lot of things I have to do done already, I'll have plenty of time to read :)

Back at it again, now i'm trying out The Once And Future King by T. H. White. Still haven't finished For Whom The Bell Tolls yet, either :/ I definitely should. 

While I cannot go out to peruse our bookshops, or the university library, by the least we've got my brother's collection to tide me over quarantine when i break from gadgets every now and then.

Archived