Book Club

ResettePlayer

1 hour ago, CaptainChaotica said:

, a transgender queen,

d199yye-40cd8f9e-44ba-4c20-b21a-f0703696I read the second book on my vacation in England back in 2005. It was from a early volume(might be a 1940's edition). I remember my high school teacher got mad at me for bringing the antique book to school to read casually.

I like the Sam Raimi film due to it being Sam Raimi. Though Wicked makes me cringe.

34 minutes ago, Raspberry Shake said:

@CaptainChaoticaThe Scottie Young comics are a faithful adaptation, with pretty good art to go with it. They contain everything mentioned in the post above, so I now know it isn't just some weird fever dream I had.

I checked it out of the library before. He's a good author. I really like his "I hate fairyland" and hope to get a trade paperback on it.

Yeah, I also heard something about an anime or manga based off of Oz, but I can't remember any details now.  I'll have to check out the Scottie Young stuff, it sounds like.

That is an awesome picture!  I sometimes wonder why I never got around to doing any proper Oz fanart, really.  Well, I wasn't likely to DO that back then as that young of a kid, is the answer I guess.  I think I did draw Polychrome at one point...and I TOTALLY need to do the lineup of the Light Sisters, in colour.  (There already IS a black and white picture of them in the book.)  I'd modernise their looks, but that'd take away from Electra looking so "hip" compared to the others.  : P

My copies of the book are old, but nowhere near THAT old.  Lemme see...(looks) 1979.  Yeah that sounds about right.  I think they've got a reprint of the original artwork still.

I haven't seen Wicked...I like the song "Defying Gravity" and I've watched "Once Upon a Time".  That'll have to do I think.  Heh.

...Notorious

I don't know if anybody else already talked about this, but my favorite series of all time is Artemis Fowl. It starts off about a 12-year-old criminal mastermind finding the existence of high tech fairy races. Everything's so unique and unexpected, yet it's still kept realistic.

37 minutes ago, reverentsatyr said:

I don't know if anybody else already talked about this, but my favorite series of all time is Artemis Fowl. It starts off about a 12-year-old criminal mastermind finding the existence of high tech fairy races. Everything's so unique and unexpected, yet it's still kept realistic.

I think I may have missed one or two of the latest books, but I loved these! Easily one of my favourite series for that age group.

1 minute ago, ResettePlayer said:

I think I may have missed one or two of the latest books, but I loved these! Easily one of my favourite series for that age group.

The only complaint I have about the series is that like half of the books have the same annoying villain, Opal Kaboi. I quickly got sick of her ignorant attitude. Still really good, tho.

On 4/21/2019 at 6:28 AM, reverentsatyr said:

Agreed! My brother and i love these, and i can gladly say this is one series that we actually managed to complete against all odds and many years of searching!

I personally like Foaly - his nerdy personality and quirks and paranoia click to me. Also, the setting and the way Eoin Colfer depicts fairytale creatures in a scientific sense is amazing. I love how dwarves are depicted to be bionic drill machines seamlessly tunneling and ejecting the earth... and the genuine dread that hits whenever a dwarf is about to trim his weight gets me every time XD

On 4/21/2019 at 7:10 AM, reverentsatyr said:

The only complaint I have about the series is that like half of the books have the same annoying villain, Opal Kaboi. I quickly got sick of her ignorant attitude. Still really good, tho.

True... Too flat a character and too proud for her own good. She deserved the way she went out.

I certainly preferred Turnball Root as a villain. He had an ultimately more complex and more sympaathetic character than any other villain.

2 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

I personally like Foaly - his nerdy personality and quirks and paranoia click to me. Also, the setting and the way Eoin Colfer depicts fairytale creatures in a scientific sense is amazing. I love how dwarves are depicted to be bionic drill machines seamlessly tunneling and ejecting the earth... and the genuine dread that hits whenever a dwarf is about to trim his weight gets me every time XD

Yah I like Foaly and love the dwarves and their.... talents. I'm really disappointed about the new Artemis Fowl movie coming out though. I've been waiting years for a movie, but according to Disney's teaser trailer, they changed everything. I'm really mad about that :( 

So... Got four book this and last week but just finally brought it up:

image.thumb.png.7f20a644bcc03769de09fbc014db5978.png

The both have beautiful art and were worth the expense. My father will also enjoy reading them.

41IGlybb4kL.jpgThis was so colorful! As a big Umbrella Academy fan, finally after a decade of waiting, reading the first issue was a breath of fresh air! If you haven't read it, trying reading the Free comic book day issue first for a proper introduction:fcbd7p3.jpg

718wdNoLu4L.jpgSo nice to get the second volume already. Seeing the anime first, it was so refreshing to see what the anime did faithfully. I'd say the anime from manga-to-anime comparison is 80%. I highly recommend this if you haven't. It's also a inspirational manga for those having trouble in school and problems.

9 hours ago, minespatch said:

Got four book this and last week but just finally brought it up:

What a bounty! Thanks for sharing. "Art Of" books are always great--I'm tempted to get any I can lay my hands on-- and comics are welcome as ever. Glad to see you got the Assassination Classroom book you really wanted!

13 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Glad to see you got the Assassination Classroom book you really wanted!

I plan on getting Bakuman vol 6 next... Or Bone vol 4- Depends on when and if I get some money. I don't want to badger my father for items all the time. He's so kind to me.

I really need to update my wishlist on my catawampus page.:wilson_ecstatic:

Kill Six Billion Demons is a free webcomic, but I'm a nerd that likes collecting physical books, so I get the books when I can. Recently added book 3 to the collection.

KSBD is known for it's extensive worldbuilding, cool as heck character designs, and excessive violence. I like it, but it's not for everyone.

Spoiler

Each volume so far has been printed in a different format, much to my ire.

20190428_123058.thumb.jpg.536381ab09f843b0650989f5e75edcdd.jpg

20190428_123027.thumb.jpg.6bca96fb0ddf7e4fb8d6e78806afb230.jpg

HOW COULD ANYONE DO THIS? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHH, THE PAIN!

Disney_NightmareZero_Issue03_Cover.jpg

Issue 2 came in yesterday at home. My father had to get the issue on ebay due to how the comics were sold out. Enjoying catching up where I left off. Issue three is about Jack rounding up the town to find zero.

professorgargoyle.jpg

Finished this the other day. Kind of mediocre. I enjoyed what I read though.

17320.jpgIssue 2 came home today. A great continuation but the cover is a lie. The contents is about my favorite character Klaus going back to being a drug addict and acting as a spiritual prositute while realizing that things are going wrong in the afterlife. Rumor has a small part dealing with her demons of divorce.

588654._UY500_SS500_.jpgBeen reading this recently. I read halfway through last year and now I'll finish it. She tells about Picasso's life in her perspective and it's a nice read. The paintings by Picasso sprinkled through the book.

At the same time, I've been playing the game Cats Atelier which features a cat version of the man:

image.png.3fcdceb28be6f4aaf1450d8b50b87ab9.png

The game treats the impressionist era as a Shounen battle manga.:wilson_ecstatic:

71u2sd5hAoL.jpgCurrently reading this. The book was in the library garbage, so I own it. One of the most interesting features of the book is the lack of quotation marks when the two on the cover speak to each other. It's almost like they're speaking telepathically. There's a lot of scavenging so far where I'm reading.

8 hours ago, minespatch said:

Currently reading this. The book was in the library garbage, so I own it. One of the most interesting features of the book is the lack of quotation marks when the two on the cover speak to each other. It's almost like they're speaking telepathically. There's a lot of scavenging so far where I'm reading.

Man, this book is depressing. I can hardly remember what happened in it, but EVERYTHING WAS TERRIBLE.

Far worse than No Country for Old Men, and not in a literary sense. 

Here i shall proudly present my main collection:

IMG_9586.thumb.JPG.6df4fdfc33cdfe0da89acc80d2c2e45d.JPG

Lots of it is adventure, fantasy, or sci-fi with the occasional satire/joke collection and cookbook thrown in for good measure. I haven't read all of these yet but I soon shall when i'm not busy binging Don't Starve or Rosalina & Luma videos or typing down my fanfic or painting. 

There's also the mini-library my brother owns - an entire shelf filled with lots of books that he allows me to read but am not really permitted to take pictures of (though mainly because i haven't dared ask). He likes fantasy and thrillers, especially vampire-related books like Anne Rice novels, the Darren Shan Series, and Dracula. He's also into local comics, and he always does his best to snag issues of both DC and Marvel Comics in the rare event that a.) they show up in the stands of our local booksales and b.) he can afford them :/

As of now we managed to complete Garth Nix's Keys To The Kingdom series, andare now trying to locate books 2 and 4 of the Dragons of Deltora series to complete a series we have been trying to complete since 2010.

Also, idk if this is still related but i felt like getting this out of my chest

i've decided to take up Library and Information Science for college, a decision i am generally looking forward to compared to my previous career of choice which was Mass Communication. In the end the latter is honestly dwindling in quality and value - especially in a country like mine where journalists and communicators are taken for granted by the general public - and i don't think i could find peace in such a calling any longer. The former to me seems like a more fulfilling and peaceful career - though to be fair librarians in my country are also taken for granted.

Though, Library Science is a very rarely taken course in colleges all over where i live. There are literally only five of us in our class xD

It seems like a massive challenge to guard, catalogue, purchase, and peruse for one of my home city's largest libraries - but its something i can live with and look forward to especially with regards to finding new selections I can peruse at leisure.

30 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Here i shall proudly present my main collection

Eyy, shelf shots! Everyone should post theirs, so I can have the incentive to clean my room (so much dust it's nasty)

And hey, they're neat.

33 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

i've decided to take up Library and Information Science for college

Yo, congrats! Good luck with your studies and networking. Librarians are underrated and I love them.

At long last, I got to read the comic I single-handedly hyped myself up for. And I was not disappointed! Middlewest is an excellent comic in many respects. I may have a few tiny nitpicks with it, but I have a few tiny nitpicks with everything under the sun and they tend not to matter.

20190608_140435.thumb.jpg.282e4003eb1633880744551123ee9485.jpg

I was attracted entirely to the art style at first--which is right up my alley--but the story was great too. I tried not to read anything about it beforehand in order to enjoy the discovery more, but I will write a bit in here in case you people may be interested, but not keen on going in blind. It could be potentially triggering to someone, depending on your life/childhood experience. Aspects of it may hit too close to home, and that's a 100% valid reason to avoid something.

Spoiler

Abel and his talking fox companion are fleeing across Middlewest as in an attempt to escape Abel's physically and emotionally abusive father. The world has plenty of supernatural elements and weirdness mixed in with more familiar things. As a delightful bonus, there is also a saucy robot, which might be my favourite character trope ever.

20190608_141247.thumb.jpg.96adb92bc3cabd0c6227a58238e63ae0.jpg

The character design is wonderful--just look at this guy--but that's not the only good thing about the art. The visual storytelling is absolutely remarkable. There is a part near the very end of this volume that still sticks with me: the artists used everything they had to make such a powerful image that really makes you feel the character's terror--I cannot stress enough how impressive that is with a single still image! well at that point there was over five issues of context but man, still thinking about that image The text was there to compliment the art, not the other way around.

Spoiler

My son Terry made an appearance for a few panels

20190608_140809.thumb.jpg.08523fbbad1bb5bb17c4f94f13bd749b.jpg

And if nothing else, read it for this man's chin: 20190608_141317.thumb.jpg.a2449ca55e2edd4707c5123e3836562d.jpg

Maxwell ain't got nothin' on Dale

Middlewest reignited my passion for comics. Instead of "Comics are pretty cool," I have returned to the enthusiasm of throwing back my head and screeching "COMICS ARE AN AMAZING, NECESSARY, VALID, AND NEEDED MEDIUM THAT DOESN'T GET ENOUGH ATTENTION, THAT CAN TELL COMPELLING, EMOTIONAL STORIES AND PEOPLE SHOULD BUY MORE SO THAT MORE GET MADE TO EXPLORE THEMES AND WORLDS WE NEVER ANTICIPATED" into the night.

So, uh, yeah. I'd recommend Middlewest to a friend.

20190608_141024.jpg

Just finished the Road. It was a cute story to me. A tight bond between a father and son as they go through rough terrain. The ending was sad but had powerful meaning. I loved the recurring snippets of dialogue where the son would constantly ask "are we the good guys". It felt realistic.

Now I'm reading Baron Mucchausain. So far all I'm getting is the man likes to hunt animals in really weird ways. It brings me back to when I would read Chandler's "Nights with Uncle Remus".

Archived