Is this massive swarm of bugs intentional?

If swarms of vicious bugs of this size is intended, how on earth are you supposed to deal with them? They're too fast to outrun, they kept biting me as I tried to run away. And you can't stop and fight that many bugs at once or they'll just bite you all at once, and you die right away. I didn't even attack them first, I was just walking through the rainforest, minding my own business, and then these fifty or sixty bugs all started chasing me.

20181020233555_1.jpg

From what I can tell, these ladybugs appeared after the seasons changed to replace the maneating plants. I was terrified like you when I saw how many of them there were and even though they take 2? hits to kill, you need to keep running them into other mobs to basically separate the pack. Otherwise, they will utterly defeat you. Do I think it was intentional? Yea. Do I like dealing with them? Nope. 

i think its possible to just pick all exotic flowers, as its the glowfly cycle, as far as I know
before seasons change, or during, they seem to encase themselves in some glowing stuff, and after a certain amount of time, they hatch when you get too close

they also cause extreme lag, which is in my opinion, their most dangerous weapon

It's probably best to just avoid the jungle areas when they are in this stage, but if, just before or at the start of the humid season, you see a lot of the glowing cocoons on the ground near places you want to visit, you can clear them out. Do it with a hambat, though, as those things are tough and will burn through your spear. Just pound them until the shell breaks and you'll get a few glow bulbs out of it too. 

Usually if you run from them they're not able to hit you, but when there's this many of them they seem to push each other towards you, which makes it impossible to escape. I think that part may not be intentional because it's just completely unfair.

1 hour ago, Michi01 said:

Usually if you run from them they're not able to hit you, but when there's this many of them they seem to push each other towards you, which makes it impossible to escape. I think that part may not be intentional because it's just completely unfair.

The pushing thing is true. It happens with hounds and other enemies aswell, long before Hamlet was released. 

Wait, those are the glowflies?! I had no idea! They seemed so innocent and helpful when they were flying around, glowing at night and everything. Guess I know I need to smash all those little cocoons or whatever they are when I see them.

And I wouldn't have gone into the rainforest in that season, what with the fog and everything, but I wanted to pick nettles for the hayfever season, and I'm pretty sure that's the only time they grow.

Also, it didn't occur to me to try bug spray. I figured that was just for the gnats, but if it works on those huge swarms of bugs, too, then that's a wonderful solution.

Archived