[TOOL] Tools Not Included (aka the Seed Browser)

Sorry for the recent downtimes folks - you're going absolutely ham on adding seeds recently and the budget hardware is not up to the task. I'll try to find some time this weekend to work on server self-recovery in case of db crashes (since they just love happening when I'm asleep). In the meantime, don't hesitate to ping me on discord - I'm on my discord (https://discord.gg/7wNFaVd) and the ONI discord as well

I've been also working on adding other tools/calculators, though work hasn't been giving me too much time off recently, and most of my site-time went into trying to optimize the stuff that's crashing - unfortunately the map generation is really taxing on the server.

10 minutes ago, Cairath said:

Sorry for the recent downtimes folks

Communication is nice. Don't worry too much. You're already doing this on your free time and and totally for free so we can't blame you for anything.

Anyway, thank you for telling us what's going on and keep up the good work !

I just remember renting a tier 1 basic server thinking it'll be enough for the site.. then second, tier 2 machine, being absolutely sure it's an overkill... but you guys don't cease to surprise :p

@chemieIt's a platform thing :( I tried paypal but it's very non-anonymous on both sides, to the point of showing billing address of both parties on a payment rejection so I resigned from it.

Patreon charges the pledgers on the first day of each month - so it's possible to pledge on the last day of the month, be charged the next day, and cancel the pledge just after you're charged to do one-time donation.

I'm completely new to donation stuff, so if someone has suggestions about other systems that are safe and anonymous for both parties, you can let me know :)

On 3/1/2019 at 2:22 PM, Cairath said:

Patreon charges the pledgers on the first day of each month - so it's possible to pledge on the last day of the month, be charged the next day, and cancel the pledge just after you're charged to do one-time donation.

I checked out the site, here is their suggestion:

For now, the best way for a patron subscribe to a creator with a one-time payment is to become a patron then simply cancel their membership after they have been successfully billed. You'll know when you have been billed because you'll receive an email confirmation stating your payment has successfully processed.  Additionally, you can check your billing history to see when you were billed and if it has successfully processed. 

I've never used Patreon before, and like the previous post would prefer a one time donation vs monthly, however the email confirmation will remind me to cancel the monthly so I'm good with that.  It was very easy to sign up.  

Thanks for all that you've done @Cairath great work.

First of all: This thing has been amazing, especially the world map. Thanks so much for making this!

I do have some suggestions, but they're very minor:

1. can the geysers on the maps have a little label on them? Sometimes, I find it difficult to know which geyser is which from looking at the world map. Just a "HG" or "SV" to show that yes, this is the steam vent, not the hot polluted oxygen vent. 

2. A way to filter the seeds by number or variety of geysers. This one is not as important since you've got the show geyser types not on map button, but it would make it faster for me to find the seeds which allows me to toy with the most things.

Again, thank you so much for your hard work!

Hey guys, a small update:

I've started working on improvements and some new stuff to be ready for the game release. Per your requests, stuff that will certainly appear:

- locations of AETNs

- locations of neuro chairs

Of course with the new biomes the world gen will change and all the existing seeds will be unusable - the database will be wiped to make space for new uploads. (they will all rest in pieces somewhere in the database backups :P)

Right now, the site is hosting over 45 000 seeds and is visited by over 500 unique users daily. Huge thanks for all contributions, both manual and to the folks going ham by leaving the seed uploader overnight, awesome to have such community :) If this keeps going I'll have to upgrade the server (again) ;) Huge shout out to everyone who have donated to help me with the server costs and support the development - you guys rock, thank you!

Since the addition of the world map feature I've had some trouble with site crashes - sorry for those - the thing is resource heavy. I've made some improvements while working on the release preparations and hopefully there will be less downtime.

The site will go down for maintenance before the release in May - if we don't get a preview build I might need a day to get things running with new additions, but I'm aiming to have it up as quickly as possible.

On the side I've also been working on the long-ago mentioned additional tools although work has been nasty and I've never had the time to finish them. Some stuff similar to what I've been working on appeared on other sites, as much as I'll try to not do the same again, I'm at least going to finish what I've started.

Regarding the seed upload mods: I need some feedback here. Over 90% of submissions have been made by the automatic seed uploader. I've thought about uploading it to steam, but since it would be a pain in the butt to subscribe/unsubscribe each time I'm thinking it'd be best to keep it local - but without modloader (using the built in mod support, just without steam).

I'm not quite sure what to do with the manual mod. I could keep a version that doesn't upload but only displays the map contents to the user and upload that to steam (basically turn it into check-what-this-map-has). Most problems have come from the manual mod, since it changes one small thing in the world generation file and some people have their game installed in a way Windows doesn't allow that, then the server rejects the seed and the person is confused... Whatchu think?

2 hours ago, Cairath said:

Regarding the seed upload mods: I need some feedback here. Over 90% of submissions have been made by the automatic seed uploader. I've thought about uploading it to steam, but since it would be a pain in the butt to subscribe/unsubscribe each time I'm thinking it'd be best to keep it local - but without modloader (using the built in mod support, just without steam).

Whatchu think?

why cant we subscribe from steam but enable or disable autoloader from the in game mod menu?

1 hour ago, Cairath said:

I.. did not think about that :p Yep, going that way then :p

good.  I dont think I want to deal with two different mod methods...so manual was great while it lasted but now dev has integrated, I think the mod community should port over to steam.

3 minutes ago, Cairath said:

Well, I am porting all the other mods already, just this one is specific. I usually enable and forget about em, so forgot you could disable them in game.

it will be easier to enable in game versus renaming the dll each time

Hi, I would like to thank you for making this awesome Tool and to make a small suggestion: Would it be possible to add the Ability to filter for the total output of all Water generating Geysers in the next Version of the Tool?

On 02/03/2019 at 7:22 AM, Cairath said:

I'm completely new to donation stuff, so if someone has suggestions about other systems that are safe and anonymous for both parties, you can let me know :)

Most of the Rimworld modders seem to use ko-fi. You need to be a gold member ($6 a month) to unlock recurring subscriptions, but they don't take a cut or anything, so it seems like a fairly good option, especially if you use it alongside patreon to allow both options for people.

YE81xKZ.png

https://ko-fi.com/

I was on the tools not included page looking up a seed I was going to use until release and happened across this seed 262757292 that showed 3 extra biome colors on the map display. Is this an error or could this seed have given the tools not included extra data from a game version after QoL3? Only way I can see that is someone internal/close to Klei is using the collection tool in tandem with an unreleased branch. Just an FYI in case this needs addressed somehow. I suppose it could be modded biomes in which case it could throw off people like me looking for seeds.

image.png.5ecb1a016e5604c2f258025c754b8feb.png

Archived