This closed beta is a mess

First you ask people to subscribe for a chance to get into the close beta, since i live in Brazil and this betas are mostly given to english language countries, i didnt subcribed.

But after you end the subcription period you decided to give access to eveyone that subscribed, regardless, Thats BS.

And why do you have a close beta, since all your games are early access? I believe Hamlet will be sold, like Shipwrecked and Reign of Giants, it will not a free update like the water base in Shipwrecked, ok, not a problem there, but the way you guys are dealing with the beta access is trash.

Why not make it open beta to the people that have the game?

15 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

Alas, unfortunate.

Even a >0% chance of getting into a beta should be worth hitting the 'I want into this beta' button if you were interested.

Better than the 0% guaranteed by not.

I had 0% chance if they kept what they intended, they changed the rules later.

• Developer
38 minutes ago, MonoDedo said:

since i live in Brazil and this betas are mostly given to english language countries, i didnt subcribed.

11 minutes ago, MonoDedo said:

I had 0% chance if they kept what they intended

That is not true. There were no restrictions for players from other countries or that didn't speak English fluently. Although that was a good thing to have, Klei was not filtering out by country, as far as I know.

Sorry, but the fault is on you for assuming something wrong.

42 minutes ago, MonoDedo said:

since i live in Brazil and this betas are mostly given to english language countries, i didnt subcribed.

Uh, nowhere did they state you had to be an English speaker or live in an English country to play in the beta. That's your fault dude.

If you didn't care to sign up, no big deal just wait another month and a half for the full DLC to come out. 

In my opinion an open beta is worse than closed cause people won't prioritize looking for bugs, they'll just play the DLC just to play it, Klei won't get the info they need to polish Hamlet, and it'll end up being as buggy as the SW release. Closed beta allows people to just playtest, report bugs, and offer feedback and suggestions within the 2 week window. It should be seen more as a responsibility rather than getting your hands on early content.

42 minutes ago, MonoDedo said:

And why do you have a close beta, since all your games are early access?

Also, none of their games are in early access right now what are you even talking about.

Just now, ImDaMisterL said:

Oxygen Not Included is, but I think he means "all your games go into Early Access".

Ah. But beta is sort of a "Pre-Early Access" more than anything. I expect the December release to be Early Access with new additions, tweaks, DLC compatibility, bugfixes and stuff.

8 minutes ago, ImDaMisterL said:

That is not true. There were no restrictions for players from other countries or that didn't speak English fluently. Although that was a good thing to have, Klei was not filtering out by country, as far as I know.

Sorry, but the fault is on you for assuming something wrong.

Can you give me evidence of what you are stating? Do you have numbers of peole that subscribed to support that? Or are you just defending the company that promised one thing and did another?

• Developer
Just now, MonoDedo said:

Can you give me evidence of what you are stating? Do you have numbers of peole that subscribed to support that? Or are you just defending the company that promised one thing and did another?

I'm going by what they said in the Beta access thread. They never said anything about country restrictions.

9 minutes ago, Chris1488 said:

Uh, nowhere did they state you had to be an English speaker or live in an English country to play in the beta. That's your fault dude.

If you didn't care to sign up, no big deal just wait another month and a half for the full DLC to come out. 

In my opinion an open beta is worse than closed cause people won't prioritize looking for bugs, they'll just play the DLC just to play it, Klei won't get the info they need to polish Hamlet, and it'll end up being as buggy as the SW release. Closed beta allows people to just playtest, report bugs, and offer feedback and suggestions within the 2 week window. It should be seen more as a responsibility rather than getting your hands on early content.

Also, none of their games are in early access right now what are you even talking about.

Where did they stated they would disregard the rules after the date?

I'm going by what they said in the Beta access thread. They never said anything about country restrictions.

I am also going by that, and they changed the rules after, didnt they?

• Developer
Just now, MonoDedo said:

Where did they stated they would disregard the rules after the date?

That just happened because of a technical issue, it wasn't in their plans.

1 minute ago, MonoDedo said:

I am also going by that, and they changed the rules after, didnt they?

If you were going by that, you would've signed up knowing you had a chance.

That just happened because of a technical issue, it wasn't in their plans.

If you were going by that, you would've signed up knowing you had a chance.

Honestly, I feel like they should had tested the whole email thing before and not the day of, and also they should had gave people an extra day due to that technical issue, with an update on the requirements. Joe wrote on a separate post the requirements before they launched Beta, it was just kinda all over the place honestly..

I don't get why you didn't subscribe. Could you explain it again?

As far as I understand, I also come from India, a non-English speaking country, but I subscribed for the beta because there was no mention of the beta being given to some countries and not to others (and if there was, Klei would have been a dead company due to all the backlash)

• Developer
10 minutes ago, Ali Bun said:

Honestly, I feel like they should had tested the whole email thing before and not the day of

Yeap, this I agree with. It did have a bit of confusion, and Klei should've done a test drive before to see how smooth things would go and plan accordingly.

6 minutes ago, MonoDedo said:

Well this topic is now fanboy haven, have fun, boys.

Let's bring this to the PMs.

6 minutes ago, Ali Bun said:

Dude that wasn't point..

I know what his point was, but MisterL giving him a legitimate answer (technical issues) and his rebuttal is calling the thread "fanboy haven" is just a cop-out, brushing off his statement. That's why I'm not taking it seriously.

1 hour ago, MonoDedo said:

First you ask people to subscribe for a chance to get into the close beta, since i live in Brazil and this betas are mostly given to english language countries, i didnt subcribed.

But after you end the subcription period you decided to give access to eveyone that subscribed, regardless, Thats BS.

And why do you have a close beta, since all your games are early access? I believe Hamlet will be sold, like Shipwrecked and Reign of Giants, it will not a free update like the water base in Shipwrecked, ok, not a problem there, but the way you guys are dealing with the beta access is trash.

Why not make it open beta to the people that have the game?

Dude, it's simple.
First, the Beta is made to test the game and to collaborate with the development.
Obviously, people without this interest can sign up and enjoy the game, there is no problem at all.

Klei's change of plans did not affect anyone who was already subscribed.
There was only one process change to get the DLC.

Besides, I'm also Brazilian, I do not speak English, however, I'm subscribed in Beta.

i'm mexican and i subscribed because i wanted to get a chance to play the closed beta, not because i needed to, i'll buy it regardless, but i wanted to try it out, i didn't know if i was going to get it or not,  but i still took a minute to sync my steam with the forums and subscribe, your argument is that they never give anything to non English speaking countries or something like that right? this is not a discriminatory issue, this is just your personal issue due to the fact that you didn't get into the beta, take your anger somewhere else dude, you didn't subscribe because you though you weren't going to get into the beta because of some made up reason and then you're upset because you didn't subscribe for that same reason and that is klei's fault? you make no sense. 

I agree they said something first about giving the beta to random people who subscribed and then they changed it, but you weren't even subscribed so i don't see your point on all this. 

The point of a beta is to run into technical problems and sort them out. This includes the registration process or any other technical aspect. If the developers had everything figured out to begin with there wouldn't be a need for a beta in the first place. If you don't fancy or comprehend that concept it is probably better to stay out.

Cheers.

Im somewhat agree with OP but not the way he actually describe it.

I signed for many betas on video games and most of the time you get more chances if you're a streamer/video game reporter/blogger and so on...being said that's why many people doesn't sign in because they already know they won't be in.

Atm I wanted to sign, but at least I didn't because they said a bunch of people would be choose. Finally everyone who signed get in. I don't complain since I get in without signed but I do understand what OP said.

you know what mate, i got DST gifted to me by my cousin years ago and i never actually playing it until the gorge event started. the i really got hooked up in this game until i played like 360 hours.

and then the hamlet beta sign up came and i thought to my self, klei really deserves a huge reward for such an amazing gaming experience. they add so many events in DST through out the years without charging extra money. even i start to wonder how do they make profit of this game.

so i just bought the DS alone pack and oxygen not included even though i don't know what kind of game it is and signed up for beta in the last day just because even if they are going to select random testers at least i have the chance and even if i don't get it i can just watch it on twitch.

so yeah mate. sorry but it's your fault for not to click that one button to register. you can't complain that you did't get to play the beta when you don't have the effort to just click one button.

Archived