Rocket Calculator

On the back of some great discussion about the rocket mechanics, I threw together Oni Assistant, an ugly little calculator for building rockets in your browser:

https://oni-assistant.com/

There's no ads or anything and its output is matching that exactly in my game at the moment. If it's appreciated I'll take some time to make it less ugly but for now its pretty utilitarian.

Feel free to make suggestions.

Cheers,

You silly utilitarians think you can calculate anything, eh?

Thank you very much, it will save a lot of (de)constructing, especially since now a lot has changed. Like 3 cargo bays being max instead of 5, on the upside, 35 Research Modules are possible, to get to the first body maybe... so as little suggestion, for I know nothing about the new starmap: If you can in theory mark the different bodies on the graph, please do so, to make it more utilitarian~

8 hours ago, SakuraKoi said:

You silly utilitarians think you can calculate anything, eh?

Thank you very much, it will save a lot of (de)constructing, especially since now a lot has changed. Like 3 cargo bays being max instead of 5, on the upside, 35 Research Modules are possible, to get to the first body maybe... so as little suggestion, for I know nothing about the new starmap: If you can in theory mark the different bodies on the graph, please do so, to make it more utilitarian~

Yeah I think adding more information to the chart is good idea.

Might tinker with the colours to make it feel more in game while I'm at it.

12 hours ago, TunderLock said:

On the back of some great discussion about the rocket mechanics, I threw together Oni Assistant, an ugly little calculator for building rockets in your browser:

https://oni-assistant.herokuapp.com/

A great idea but for the moment, it gives wrong numbers. Here's an example with a rocket with 3 Research modules and a steam engine :

In game

wrong1.png.ff00243b5b96426613a6c6d109b0e3d5.pngwrong2.thumb.png.8be7cadff76659ce9f8eaf358741a411.png

On your site

wrong3.thumb.png.acb82f5faa6eed02d54d78035d02e114.png

8 hours ago, SamLogan said:

A great idea but for the moment, it gives wrong numbers. Here's an example with a rocket with 3 Research modules and a steam engine :

In game

wrong1.png.ff00243b5b96426613a6c6d109b0e3d5.pngwrong2.thumb.png.8be7cadff76659ce9f8eaf358741a411.png

On your site

wrong3.thumb.png.acb82f5faa6eed02d54d78035d02e114.png

Weird, error was in the dry mass of the steam engine. When I built the tool I'm sure it only weighed 400kg, but now its 2000kg. Perhaps a sneaky patch or just a derp on my end. Fixed now though.

The Solid Fuel Thrusters are also quite odd since in the first place they need 2x400 fuel which sure is not 1800 and they add 12000km, not 27000. I can only suppose that those are old values you are using.

Though I'd sure like the old values more since those can get a Steam Rocket to the third tier along with 5 Research Modules...

On 20/10/2018 at 3:18 PM, SakuraKoi said:

The Solid Fuel Thrusters are also quite odd since in the first place they need 2x400 fuel which sure is not 1800 and they add 12000km, not 27000. I can only suppose that those are old values you are using.

Though I'd sure like the old values more since those can get a Steam Rocket to the third tier along with 5 Research Modules...

Thanks for this. Calculator updated to reflect solid booster changes. 

Thank you. Another suggestion which I'd find quite useful for precision on the chart:

Instead of or alternatively/additionally to showing fuel in 100kg on hover, folks might rather like to know how much is precisely needed to each 10k km. This should always be rounded up to a kilogram so that people can just type that into the tank settings (which only accepts kg and can round down). This can after all save quite some fuel. Mayhaps 100kg (2 times 50) on average, if not more due to weight~

19 hours ago, ___5 said:

It a cool tool! but check weight of cargo bay. for solid items it 2000kg, but for liquid, gas and living it only 1000kg.

I'm not seeing this in game. Can you send a screenshot of the calculator and game providing different results?

Hi,

In your next version of the Rocket Calculator, can we switch from sliding the fuel amount to calculate the distance, let us select the distance and let the calculator calculate the required fuel and fuel components? It seems more natural this way. 

Thank you for it anyway!

On 18/10/2018 at 10:39 PM, TunderLock said:

https://oni-assistant.herokuapp.com/

There's no ads or anything and its output is matching that exactly in my game at the moment. If it's appreciated I'll take some time to make it less ugly but for now its pretty utilitarian.

Feel free to make suggestions.

Cheers,

Just want to say, excellent work for this. I use it frequently, and it's brilliant. :wilson_goodjob:

10 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Just want to say, excellent work for this. I use it frequently, and it's brilliant. :wilson_goodjob:

Thanks mate, appreciate it. Just pushed a minor update to the chart for something that had been bugging me during the week. 

Weight of Hydrogen Engine is off by 100 kG throwing off some calcs. heres my screens the right hand rocket in the pic is the one linked but all with hydrogen engine are 100 kg light in ur calc

Hydrogen1Oxy2Fuel1Cargo6Research1Capsule.png

ingameHydrogen1Oxy2Fuel1Cargo6Research1Command.jpg

20181103224932_1.jpg

btw any1 else have the bug where u cant get the astronaut out of the capsule? usually I deconstruct it to get them out, but a few times when I deconstruct they just stop existing

1 hour ago, AlphaPrime said:

btw any1 else have the bug where u cant get the astronaut out of the capsule? usually I deconstruct it to get them out, but a few times when I deconstruct they just stop existing

Yup, I had the aptly named "Spectre Ship" for a good 100 cycles. Astronaut slot was filled but my dupe ceased to exist. I could still launch it, but if I deconstructed the capsule I got a black hole crash. Never got my dupe back, eventually deleted it with debug :( 

5 minutes ago, bleeter6 said:

The calculator says that with a booster, steam engine can take a cargo bay to the first planets? I can't seem to get that in game.

do you have steam pumped into the engine, and refined iron and oxelite in the booster?

Archived