Thoughts on Warbucks?

Honestly the looks are the lesser of my concerns. I'm a bit skeptical about how his main perks are solely sanity management. None of those especially screams explorer or hunter or gentleman to me. Right now he's very underwhelming gameplay wise, with his perks not really feeling like they belong to the rest of his character. I'd be happy if he had some kind of character specific item going for him.

45 minutes ago, bitcrushed_rage said:

i'm sure that once the dlc is released and has more content that some more information will come to light

Maybe we can  learn a bit more.
But Klei hardly reveals much about the origin of the characters.

I like his design. But honestly i wouldn't play him, because his downsides are boring and i don't find his perks new or interesting. And maybe because he has no voice yet is more underwhelming to me. Anyway, i hope they add something more interesting for him.

Yeah, he is a bit too bright... Having a more dull reddish skin might be better.

His perks are weird (although that is likely because this is beta):

As you say: he gets way too much sanity from a couple coins. It has to be toned down, him getting negative sanity is not a good idea though as he would become a Woodlegs: horrible to play outside of their DLC because of constant insanity. Him losing sanity for buying stuff doesn't sound so bad though.

His food pickiness is kind of alright. Having another picky eater is not bad (having a Warly-picky eater on the other hand...), but the downside is completely eclipsed by his coin-grabbing upside.

The magnifying glass is meh and doesn't fit with a hunter (maybe an explorer though). He should have his own version of the blunderbuss, or at least start with some rabbit and bird traps. And instead change the perk from "is an explorer" to "is an avid hunter".

10 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Most of those details are old man wrinkles. It could look like too much to you because he has wrinkles and facial hair. So that does add more detail to a character's face then usual. I personally think it looks fine.

The only issue I have with him visually is his bad spray tan. I didn't even know they had spray tans in Hamlet until I saw him.

Ya, plus the glasses are filled in a bit too neatly, with that reflection. Well, yeah, Warbucks looks fine, but when standing next to the original characters it creates a somewhat strange contrast. I think we can agree on the tan...:d It makes him look a bit off. I mean, if he was sunburned to such a degree that he is now, his clothes and accessories would probably be all torn from constantly running around in the jungle or savannah. His clothes look a bit too intact for Warbucks seasoned face.

Regarding the mechanics... maybe he could have a silly whistle to trick mobs? You could click on the ground to activate it and then a mob would have a chance to walk there, or react in some other way. It could even work when a mob chases you, to make them turn around for a brief second. Or something.

6 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

Well, yeah, Warbucks looks fine, but when standing next to the original characters it creates a somewhat strange contrast

Partly because the original characters have some old arts. If you compare Warbucks and Woodlegs, the comparison is a lot less strange than comparing Wilson and Warbucks.

(Theory : Warbuck is old Wilson. He was trapped in Jumanji and become an explorer.)

IMO Warbucks with his perks is here for beginners so its OK what he does although i agree its little bit boring. All that wont matter one bit if we get the second character interesting and PLEASE a lot harder or unique in some way. If it is that piggy tho i have bad feeling it will be something trivial that makes her special ... we will see

What i dont like about Warbucks is that it feels like he is modded character. I dont know what it is but it feels little bit off seeing him in world. I hope he gets some graphic update for final release

I updated my main post to account for the recent updates Warbucks has been getting, plus a few more of my own thoughts (separate from the facts for your ease of reading). 

A new point I also addressed is how Warbucks is a Hamlet-oriented character, just like Walani and Woodlegs. He's useless in RoG/SW because his Treasure Hunting items serve no purpose, there are no oincs in sight, and there's no easy early game way to nab some crock pot food forcing you to suffer with nothing but a raw foods drawback. 

2 minutes ago, Chris1488 said:

A new point I also addressed is how Warbucks is a Hamlet-oriented character, just like Walani and Woodlegs. He's useless in RoG/SW because his Treasure Hunting items serve no purpose, there are no oincs in sight, and there's no easy early game way to nab some crock pot food forcing you to suffer with nothing but a raw foods drawback. 

There's not much of a winning solution here. 

A - What we have now. The characters for the DLC have perks related to the DLC. Makes sense, bummer out of DLC.

B - Give the characters generic perks and DLC related perks. Too stacked, especially in their DLC.

C - Give the characters perks having nothing to do with the DLC. Could work, but bland.

At the very least Warbucks is in a better place comparable to your examples in the regard that the seaworthy/skyworthy exists. The explorer tool bonus will be dead weight but you'll be able to bring either oincs or the key to the city to make your own hamlet. Other than that, it would be nice if he got a bonus for dubloons, raw gold is a bit much though. 

1 minute ago, Zeklo said:

True, but imo if they replaced the explorer perks with something revolving around more hunter-related perks he'd be much better off. Hunting is a concept that's present in any instance of DS, so it could theoretically work pretty much anywhere so none of his perks would become "dead weight" in any environment (So that'd be option B without feeling too stacked).
Also I agree with the fortune thing, dubloons would be nice to affect him since they are technically a currency, but gold nuggets would be a bit overboard considering you can even get them super quick in Hamlet. 

7 hours ago, Zeklo said:

A - What we have now. The characters for the DLC have perks related to the DLC. Makes sense, bummer out of DLC.

B - Give the characters generic perks and DLC related perks. Too stacked, especially in their DLC.

C - Give the characters perks having nothing to do with the DLC. Could work, but bland.

At the very least Warbucks is in a better place comparable to your examples in the regard that the seaworthy/skyworthy exists. The explorer tool bonus will be dead weight but you'll be able to bring either oincs or the key to the city to make your own hamlet. Other than that, it would be nice if he got a bonus for dubloons, raw gold is a bit much though. 

Not completely true though. Both Wilbur and Warly work fine outside of SW, Warly only loses a few recipes (and because he can't get the ingredients), but he keeps his portable cookpot and chef backpack hat (plus his annoying eating mechanics); and wilbur has a harder time getting bananas, which doesn't make that much of a difference in general, while retaining the ability to run (I would even dare to say he is better in RoG or DS than in SW).

Walani also kinda works outside of SW, but she loses her main feature: surfing.

2 hours ago, pedregales said:

and wilbur has a harder time getting bananas, which doesn't make that much of a difference in general, while retaining the ability to run (I would even dare to say he is better in RoG or DS than in SW).

Don't forget about his ability to throw poop which can be great for getting birds since it stuns them.

I'd say that Warbucks is the Walani of Hamlet. A character for begginers at the dlc. 

Walani has her surfboard which is usefull early game but is useless late game. And so durring late game you just have to deal with her passives.

Warbucks starts with 2 items and uses less durrability of adventure tab items. After you explore all ruins you're just left with his passives

I'll try to tackle my thoughts from least important to most important.

I really love his design, skin-tone and all. I think he's supposed to be a mix between Wallace and Wortox, two unimplemented characters, making Warbucks as sort of a nod to those aware of them. His design should be left alone and if people want to change his design via mods, that option should be there for them. Of course, this goes both ways. If Klei actually does end up changing his design down the line, then a mod will most likely be made to make the character look more like his Beta days of Hamlet.

To restate, I love his design and it makes him unique and stand out from the other characters, but in a good way.

I think what might fix Conflict-Money for some people is if his bio was simply changed from "The Gentleman Hunter" to "The Gentleman Explorer". Klei could change his profile pic from him leaning on a Blunderbuss to him using a Magnifying Glass, inspecting a Pig Relic up close and wearing a Pith Hat. Something like this:

Image result for pokemon omega ruby ruin maniac

Spoiler

The Ruin Maniac, Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire

It would then make a bit more sense for him to like money, seeing as how his riches comes from doing what he loves most, which is exploring. If not, keep the "Gentleman Hunter" title, remove his starting items and just start the guy off with a Pith Hat and Blunderbuss instead. Also, change his profile picture slightly so as to show him with clean hair. As it stands now, his hair is messy in his profile picture but nicely kept in-game.

On 10/25/2018 at 2:51 PM, gary9996 said:

I think he needs more nerfing, holding like three Oinc counteracts the night-time sanity drain, I feel like that upside makes him wildly overpowered

I don't think wildly overpowered is the word though. He needs to carry oincs in order to get the sanity buff, so that is one inventory slot less. And that is all he has going for him honestly, because the explorer things he has going are still very bland, as useful as they are.

2 hours ago, pedregales said:

I don't think wildly overpowered is the word though. He needs to carry oincs in order to get the sanity buff, so that is one inventory slot less. And that is all he has going for him honestly, because the explorer things he has going are still very bland, as useful as they are.

I do agree that he is bland, but the trade-off of one inventory slot for a constant high sanity regen is kind of silly, considering his downside gets rid of sanity.

ive never liked saying this but any character they added after the core (excluding wig and web)  have been so disappointing. im really sorry to say. i still love the game and own like every dlc and love the world. my favorite character is Wickerbottom so to me shes the gold standard. The only SW character that peaked my interest in the slightest was warly. but after the changes his dietary downside feels like chore. i love his pot and unique dishes. 

I dont like characters that dont have anything truly unique to them. In Warbucks case: he regens sanity in a specific unique way. but it doesnt feel special cause u can regen sanity in like a million ways. His character feels very confused to me. 

This is just my opinion but i wouldve loved to see him as a scumbaggy imperial british museum archeologist/explorer sort of character. so fully focused on relics and statues and ruin explorations + hopefully character unique ITEMS that help him do that stuff. OR a real big game hunter. with unique gun and hunting strategies (ways to make trophies maybe? perks for fighting giants). i only now realize that Hamlet (to my knowledge) doesnt have hunting tracks like rog/sw yet. so maybe when/if they add them they'll refocus warbucks towards that gameplay archetype but im not holding my breath 

3 hours ago, gary9996 said:

I do agree that he is bland, but the trade-off of one inventory slot for a constant high sanity regen is kind of silly, considering his downside gets rid of sanity.

True, but in many cases you want to be insane to farm nightmare fuel, plus, as Ohan said: there are many ways to increase sanity.

14 hours ago, pedregales said:

True, but in many cases you want to be insane to farm nightmare fuel, plus, as Ohan said: there are many ways to increase sanity.

This upside makes nightmare farming a bit easier since you can gain it all back by holding around 20 Oinc, this upside makes him kind of a better Maxwell, since he has sanity on demand, while Maxwell has it built in which makes it a hassle to drain.

3 hours ago, gary9996 said:

This upside makes nightmare farming a bit easier since you can gain it all back by holding around 20 Oinc, this upside makes him kind of a better Maxwell, since he has sanity on demand, while Maxwell has it built in which makes it a hassle to drain.

Not quite. You have to drop or store the oincs in order to properly go and stay insane, but you gotta be careful where you drop them. When you want your sanity back you have to pick them back up and the sanity restoration is not immediate. Of course, it could be changed to only affect him every 10 oincs for the same value as having 10 oincs now, this way is slightly harder to activate, and still good enough.

Maxwell will still be a better Maxwell because he can use shadow sword and shadow armor more efficiently as he doesn't need to occupy an item slot and still greatly negates their insanity downsides, plus (and more importantly) he also has minions for farming. In general, even if Warbucks has 2 times the sanity regen of Maxwell with just 10 oincs, Maxwell would still be a better character because he has more utility. Warbucks is just a Wilson with a couple perks, but no real niche.

Archived