Thoughts on Warbucks?

I've seen a lot of mixed feelings about the new character revealed in Hamlet: Warbucks, the Gentleman Hunter.
unknown.png

A lot of people I've heard from say that the reddish skin tone really doesn't fit in with the rest of the cast (I've seen multiple comparisons to that of a carrot).
Frankly, I agree. I feel like Warbucks would benefit from having a more dull skin tone such as Woodlegs, or just a duller red.
EDIT: I also believe he could stand to have a few stray, messy hairs like every other DS character (and his own portrait). His current 'do is too... clean.
image.png.cb778f2f5457f1c02d46774fc51cf70a.png  < Mod by Fuffles is a good proof of concept for the hair and skin.

I enjoy his personality in his examination lines but personally, I feel like Warbucks is an incomplete/underwhelming character.
-Is an explorer: Any tool crafted in the "Treasure Hunting" tab only loses half its durability when used by Warbucks. He also starts with a Magnifying Glass and Ball Pien Hammer, which are both tools from this tab. Essentially, this perk looks to make (four, very niche) existing items better when used by Warbucks. Thoughts: A little underwhelming to me, granted the Gold Pan is seen as viable now by a few people I've heard from. I'd still like this perk to either incorporate or just be replaced entirely by hunting aspects for "The Gentleman Hunter" whose portrait is chillin' with a Blunderbuss. His starter quote is even "This will be a game to remember!". Everything but the gameplay aspect points to Warbucks being a game hunter and not a treasure hunter.

-Loves his fortune: Warbucks gains insane amounts of sanity by holding onto Oincs (Hamlet's currency), the more he holds the more sanity he gains. This passive sanity gain surpasses even that of Maxwell's. This perk effectively makes Warbucks probably the best sanity-management character in Don't Starve so far, because you can easily toggle the sanity on/off by dropping oincs.
Thoughts: Even with the recent updates that have changed Warbucks to try and nerf this, you can still equip Night Armor and a Dark Sword and waltz around like it's nothing. Not even Maxwell, the end-game character of singleplayer has this luxury. I'd see this perk as balanced only when Warbucks' sanity gain cap is equal or lesser to that of Maxwell's passive sanity gain. With today's latest update, Warbucks loses sanity from equipping both sanity draining items. I think I'm content with this perk for the time being now.

-Picky eater: Warbucks loses 5 sanity for eating any kind of non-crock pot food. He also gains 5 additional sanity for eating crock pot foods.
Thoughts: Still the most overshadowed perk Warbucks has due to how insanely easy it is to gain oinc so early on in the game. The "Loves his fortune" perk nullifies this drawback just by holding a couple oinc in your pocket. Collect enough money and Warbucks never has to worry about eating uncooked radish ever again.

So TL;DR his perks are sanity from money, sanity from food, and less durability on niche items.
I'm still a little surprised none of his perks circulate about actual hunting, as heavily implied by his portrait and title, and starter quote.

I'm just a bit let down he doesn't really have anything special or character-specific, and doesn't bring anything new to the table. 
Warbucks is also a character made to be based around the Hamlet world, just like Walani and Woodlegs are in the same boat (pun intended) for SW. This is a bit of a disappointment for me since that gives him virtually no use in RoG or SW: Dubloons don't trigger his fortune perk. The Treasure Hunting items are useless in anything outside Hamlet (Except for the Magnifying Glass' ability to light fire). That only leaves Warbucks with the constant loss of sanity from raw foods, and no easy access to crock pot foods nor a means to counteract the drawback for a long while. Even at that point you'll just be playing as a character whose only notable distinction is "Beware the peasant foods".

So anyway now that I got that off my chest, what are your guys' thoughts on Warbucks?

35 minutes ago, Chris1488 said:

So anyway now that I got that off my chest, what are your guys' thoughts on Warbucks?

I personally really like Warbuck's personality design and art direction. However, when it comes to the perks and balancing there is no doubt that he's certainly not bad, moreso that he's just bland in his current status. He's like Wilson but with the ability to control his sanity better (and has higher overall) if that makes any sense. The magnifying glass thing does come across as mildly gimmicky as well, which is unfortunate but understandable.

Let's hope upon full release the devs nail down a niche for his character to excel in that makes him an excellent choice to pick. In his current state again he's most certainly not bad, heck I'd consider him above average when compared to the other characters, just not utilizing a full potential of possibilities based on his personality.

Tbh, he prob is unfinished. Heck, he doesn't even have a voice. They prob just implemented him right at the last 5 min before the beta started just to say "oh yeah, there's gonna be new characters." Plus it wouldn't make sense on why he doesn't have that blunderbuss in the game when its on the picture, he's a hunter. 

its the first character, SW gave us 4 new characters and some of the em weren't as interesting as woodlegs Fx. There's bound to be an uninteresting character that helps the game up a lil bit but doesn't break any boundaries. 

Edit: Also the skintone makes him more unique and stands out more than other characters. Klei wants to make sure everyone in DS stands out one way or another and doesn't look like everyone else.

idea: a semi big explorer backpack that can turn into a tent and can be movable into the backpack again with its own little room inside, smaller than a normal sized pig house. either that or you could sleep in it.... Maybe way too Warly-ish.. 

I say Ol' chap!

14 minutes ago, bugsmand said:

Plus it wouldn't make sense on why he doesn't have that blunderbuss in the game when its on the picture, he's a hunter. 

The blunderbuss itself is already in the game and is craftable by any character. I suppose it would make sense if he spawned with it though.

5 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

The blunderbuss itself is already in the game and is craftable by any character. I suppose it would make sense if he spawned with it though.

That's what i mean. Its like, not giving Walani her surfboard when she has it on the picture. Or warly without his crockpot.

Honestly, I think the sanity gain from coins is insanely overtuned.

When I first read about the trait I thought like "sure in exchange for carrying a full stack of coins around, you will have decent sanity gain".

But in reality just like 4 small coins are already enough to completely offset the food perk, even if you eat nothing but raw stuff.

Should be nerfed in my opinion.

I may have overlooked this with wilson or other characters. but Warbucks can find peculiar items WITHOUT the magnifying glass. it already gave me the peculiar status on a tree. i still have to use the magnifying glass to find out what it is. "it seems there's something hidden here" is first quote without examining a tree with a magnifying glass.

either

- A. There is something hidden there!/There is definitely something there

or 

-B. Harumph! i don't see anything..

THAT'S what his explorer perk means!

Make his magnifying glass have no durability and he'll be like a woodlegs

4 hours ago, bugsmand said:

I may have overlooked this with wilson or other characters. but Warbucks can find peculiar items WITHOUT the magnifying glass. it already gave me the peculiar status on a tree. i still have to use the magnifying glass to find out what it is. "it seems there's something hidden here" is first quote without examining a tree with a magnifying glass.

either

- A. There is something hidden there!/There is definitely something there

or 

-B. Harumph! i don't see anything..

THAT'S what his explorer perk means!

Nah, its the same with other characters. I've seen Peculiar structures around the world while playing as Warly. It acts like its normal counterpart until its interacted with via magnifying glass. The only difference is the differing examinations, as you said.

Following that, everyone's an explorer.

Just now, Chris1488 said:

Nah, its the same with other characters. I've seen Peculiar structures around the world while playing as Warly. It acts like its normal counterpart until its interacted with via magnifying glass. The only difference is the differing examinations, as you said.

Following that, everyone's an explorer.

They gotta make sure that's a special thing for Warbucks, this will at least spice him up a little bit. Maybe he could do it without a magnifying glass or something,

I also think the skintone is fine. Maybe a little less "orange" if needed, but surely not lighter. The character is an explorer, spending a lot of time under hot sun and difficult climates, it makes sense that his skin is not pale.

18 minutes ago, Geeris said:

I agree with virtually every quote.
The only thing I think so far is ...
Is he Wilson's father? Notice the similarity:

image.png.ecb680a9230095f57e586fd7d6c9eb18.png

• Nose
  • Face shape
  • Eyes and Dark Circles
  • Hair style

Or, am I going too far with the conspiracies? :D

Now that I look at them... it's entirely feasible that they're related. Maybe's he's a long-lost uncle that disappeared while on an expedition.

21 minutes ago, SkylordElberich said:

Now that I look at them... it's entirely feasible that they're related. Maybe's he's a long-lost uncle that disappeared while on an expedition.

Who knows? ... we'll never be sure! :D

Technically the visual design of the Warbucks is fine but I have mixed feelings about the amount of detail of his face. It shouldn't be too elaborate... Look at Wilson. His face is so simply drawn. This is what defines the visual style of Don't Starve, at least for me. The new characters shouldn't be overdone. This case is borderline.

14 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

Technically the visual design of the Warbucks is fine but I have mixed feelings about the amount of detail of his face. It shouldn't be too elaborate... Look at Wilson. His face is so simply drawn. This is what defines the visual style of Don't Starve, at least for me. The new characters shouldn't be overdone. This case is borderline.

Most of those details are old man wrinkles. It could look like too much to you because he has wrinkles and facial hair. So that does add more detail to a character's face then usual. I personally think it looks fine.

The only issue I have with him visually is his bad spray tan. I didn't even know they had spray tans in Hamlet until I saw him.

5 hours ago, Geeris said:

• Nose
  • Face shape
  • Eyes and Dark Circles
  • Hair style

haha, i thought a similar thing

what made me start thinking was the fact that they both have "Gentleman" in their titles

it'd be neat if they were like related or something

53 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Most of those details are old man wrinkles. It could look like too much to you because he has wrinkles and facial hair. So that does add more detail to a character's face then usual. I personally think it looks fine.

The only issue I have with him visually is his bad spray tan. I didn't even know they had spray tans in Hamlet until I saw him.

my only issue tbh is how his hair looks with hats

I personally think his design is fine. I don't mind the reddish tone myself and I think he actually looks a little strange with the skin tone in the mock-up image.

Anyway, my thoughts and suggestions on other aspects of the character I wrote here already:

6 hours ago, Geeris said:

• Nose
  • Face shape
  • Eyes and Dark Circles
  • Hair style

Thought the same thing when I saw the similar facial features and that his title was "The Gentleman Hunter". Interesting to note that his quote for the alchemy engine states that he's dabbled with alchemy in the past. Coincidence?

1 hour ago, bitcrushed_rage said:

haha, i thought a similar thing

what made me start thinking was the fact that they both have "Gentleman" in their titles

it'd be neat if they were like related or something

27 minutes ago, Portmanteau said:

Thought the same thing when I saw the similar facial features and that his title was "The Gentleman Hunter". Interesting to note that his quote for the alchemy engine states that he's dabbled with alchemy in the past. Coincidence?

Oh! it is true.

I just forgot to mention this detail of "Gentleman".

There are many similarities between them .... And we know that Klei will not reveal much more. :D

Thank you for reminding me, guys.

1 minute ago, Geeris said:

Oh! it is true.

I just forgot to mention this detail of "Gentleman".

There are many similarities between them .... And we know that Klei will not reveal much more. :D

Thank you for reminding me, guys.

i'm sure that once the dlc is released and has more content that some more information will come to light

Archived