Hamlet Data Mining, Theorizing, Art Assets, Sprite Sheets, & More! (SPOILERS!)

watermelen671

On 6/2/2019 at 6:52 PM, watermelen671 said:

Why is the face so different?

And as soon as you remove the skirt, it all looks normal.

pig_queen_000_000.png.623a37a455f67b7864485cb2ce712ace.pngpig_queen_000_002.png.4761f84c6c1ea3aed2d906eed99daebf.pngpig_queen_000_005.png.d80e86a4b1bdceff187004e3bf81b9e2.png

And so low-res...why?

2 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

@minespatch could you maybe snag me a screencap of how it looks in-game?

Because I'm unsure how it's supposed to sit on Maxwell and it's looking kinda weird...

image.png.3e2980c8e105515699b915ef99a944d6.png

Just now, watermelen671 said:

It looks kinda low-res in the tex file and I'm not sure why...

@Jason, can you give us a explanation?

3 minutes ago, minespatch said:

5bff5bfd08953_ezgif.com-apng-maker(44).p

So what do we call this unimplemented spider monkey/spiderape?

I wish Klei had used these instead of the current spider monkeys in Hamlet... current ones are just boring and silly

Edited by FreyaMaluk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, minespatch said:

5bff5bfd08953_ezgif.com-apng-maker(44).p

So what do we call this unimplemented spider monkey/spiderape?

is this texture in game files? How it is named?

I just hate current spider-harambles, I want this small ape instead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Desblat said:

is this texture in game files? How it is named?

I thankfully found this through google images but I can't find the other files. I've seen them before but my search engines couldn't find the others through reverse image search.

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

I thankfully found this through google images but I can't find the other files. I've seen them before but my search engines couldn't find the others through reverse image search.

image.thumb.png.c384787f4e663e65d28ec6cf354a4777.png

There are texturures of small spider ape in game files.

Small spider apes mod is coming!

I will probably make it so there are a lot of small apes around nests and big haramble goes out only if they get attacked.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Desblat said:

image.thumb.png.c384787f4e663e65d28ec6cf354a4777.png

There are texturures of small spider ape in game files.

Small spider apes mod is coming!

I will probably make it so there are a lot of small apes around nests and big haramble goes out only if they get attacked.

the design of these is just so much more interesting than the ones we got. I love the detail of a spiderweb in the back of the mouth.. that's so cleaver.... and the faces are so goddamn cute

Edited by FreyaMaluk
  • Like 2

You know you can play as these Spider Monkeys and more in PP.

The spider monkeys are old, I doubt it'll show up outside of any mods, but there were sound files just now found for them.
I don't have them on hand, currently, but there's sounds for a lot of missing mobs, too.

Also, the small Spider Monkey had a crap ton of progress made on it, you can see it's code everywhere in Hamlet, it's also a cause for the mixed up Spider Ape damage from a while ago.

• Like 1

I'm very glad we didn't get these spider monkeys. They'd be the third mob using the same splumonkey body type that's been around since vanilla.

Spider apes, on the other hand, are technically the first mob in DS to use the boarilla body type. It makes them feel like a creature completely unique to Hamlet, rather than yet another monkey.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

I'm very glad we didn't get these spider monkeys. They'd be the third mob using the same splumonkey body type that's been around since vanilla.

Spider apes, on the other hand, are technically the first mob in DS to use the boarilla body type. It makes them feel like a creature completely unique to Hamlet, rather than yet another monkey.

But on the other hand it could become the fourth mob or 1st mob in Hamlet having a younger form which turns into an adult later on (The other ones are Beefalo, Tallbird and Doydoy).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

I think this is wrong. Monkeys in sw and in RoG are completely different. 

Yes. Boarillas are different from the others but their design is not as special as the hidden ones and you can clearly tell they were more like an afterthought. They aren't as detailed and most importantly. Their brains are very weird and unnatural for any mamal hybrid. They have no herd mentality and they feel out of place in Hamlet imo. 

If you personally like then that's fine but I can see the small ones being much more in tone with the games aslesthetic.... Specially cuz they could climb the trees to hide or many other much interesting options than just sleeping on the floor by the trees. 

2 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

How is this wrong? Prime Apes are literally a reskin of Splumonkeys. Yes, their behaviors differ, but their body types and animations are identical, which was Skye's point.

• Like 1

monkeys2.thumb.png.fa08b745f1d242a82b4a0c2eaaface50.png

A significant amount of the Prime Ape textures are recolored from Splumonkey's, and they share literally every animation. If you're talking about behavior... Splumonkeys and Prime Apes both:

• Spawn in groups from a monkey-themed structure.
  • Steal items laying on the ground.
  • Pick plants and eat them in order to make manure, which they throw at you when provoked to make you lose 10 sanity.
  • Drop bananas and morsels on death (cave bananas and bananas are the same item, the game just swaps out the textures and name depending on the world)
  • Will fight other mobs, but will run from the player.
  • Are affected by the nightmare cycle (seriously, go try it in-game. you can build prime ape huts down there now.)

The only thing really setting them apart is which world they spawn in, and the fact that you can befriend prime apes. As it turns out, though, the latter must have been originally planned for Splumonkeys. Neither Prime Apes nor the unused Spider Monkeys have their own animations, they all reuse the Splumonkey's, which includes the befriending and refusal animations. I'm not sure how to make Spriter animations into gifs, but this is the data mining thread, so uh, @watermelen671?

Yes. Boarillas are different from the others but their design is not as special as the hidden ones and you can clearly tell they were more like an afterthought. They aren't as detailed and most importantly. Their brains are very weird and unnatural for any mamal hybrid.

monkeys1.thumb.png.5958c070a7606d5253a0e9ff4b55024d.png
You're also allowed to like the unused Spider Monkeys, but.. in no way are they more unique than the Boarilla-like ones.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

monkeys1.thumb.png.5958c070a7606d5253a0e9ff4b55024d.png

I personally don't like boarilla cuz they don't feel so unique just a lesser version of the boarilla. Don't even have the rolling attacks 

To me the other ones look much better and the design looks way more polished with all the details including the spiderweb in the back of the mouth. Dunno I guess I feel like they fit more Hamlet specially cuz they could go up to actually sleep in the cacoons and could be more like monkeys and not like gorilas that are weirdly called monkeys. Imo they don't make sense designweise nor their brain in Hamlet. 

That's my opinion tho. Everyone is allowed to have one. 

Edited by FreyaMaluk
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

I'm not sure how to make Spriter animations into gifs, but this is the data mining thread, so uh, @watermelen671?

Hm? Oh, yeah I can post all the monkey stuff!

3 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

[snip]

Please quickly edit your post so you're not directly quoting EVERYTHING that Skye posted...it's just bloat. :wilson_goodjob:

But from what I briefly gleaned from the discussion at hand, it is true that all three flavors of monkey are just that, flavors. Splumonkey is the base, with the Prime Apes being the first reskin, and the scrapped Spidermonkey being the second reskin.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

snip

Spider ape is simply too big. Webbed tree nests look like a joke. All the design of it seems like way too joke/pun even for DS. 

I mean there is DragonFly, that has small insect wings, but it somehow flies using them.

While gorilla has 4 additional spider legs, that it doesn't need, or does? Well we can say it makes web using them. But why would gorilla need web? Small spiders need web to gain advantage over creatures that are bigger than them, also spiders use numbers to fight things. But insanely big gorilla can PUNCH anything by itself, it doesn't need anything else.

If it was small sized monkey that also makes web that would make more sense. Also it might use trees to make web traps. It makes sense for spider to be small.

But for now we have a mob that can PUNCH really hard that's it.

It would be cool if gorilla defended lesser monkeys being passive if they are not in danger. Like one nest, 5 small monkeys living in it, and one big one that sticks around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1