Achievements?

Idk why but I feel like achievements should be added on Steam. Maybe to make the game feel more progressive.

For example:

All Hail The Queen - Kill your first spider queen.

Survivor's Best Friend - Feed 100 pigs

A Wild Koalefant has appeared! - Track your first Koalefant

Make It Rain! - Give the Pig King 5 + more treasures.

20 years to Life - Entrap a bird in a birdcage

Just small stuff like that so I feel like I'm not just randomly doing stuff to do them. It gives more incentive to do EVERYTHING in the game. I hope a modder sees this and maybe suggests it to Kevin. It doesn't have to be right away. Maybe just do it on your spare time (if you have any). I appreciate that great updates you guys are doing every 2 weeks. They are very small in memory size but huge in content. Keep up the good work.

There was a interview with the devs on penny arcade i think, that had the devs explain why they werent planing on achievements.The short version is, the devs looked at old studies on how behavior works. Giving a reward for accomplishments like candy for drawing art, makes the person less likely to draw on their own for fun. They figure doing this will make people less likely to go out and do their own neat things, and eventually lose interest.But a mod would be fun, i would make my own achievements and take pictures.

There was a interview with the devs on penny arcade i think, that had the devs explain why they werent planing on achievements.The short version is, the devs looked at old studies on how behavior works. Giving a reward for accomplishments like candy for drawing art, makes the person less likely to draw on their own for fun. They figure doing this will make people less likely to go out and do their own neat things, and eventually lose interest.But a mod would be fun, i would make my own achievements and take pictures.

I see what you're trying to say. BUT the game is still a sandbox with adventure mod in BETA. When you have a sandbox with nothing to do you get bored real fast. Eventually coming back to life 20 times gets real boring, real fast with no goal. The mod creator should add dozens upon dozens of achievements to give us SOMETHING to do. Maybe he can even challenge us with the mods.

Stats would be a nice way to keep track of progress but... There's still no incentive to do stuff.

The music in JSRF is awful. On topic: achievements give no incentive either. You do it. So what. Nothing happens, you don't get rewarded or anything. And what about when you complete them all, do you just stop playing? No more achievements means no more incentive, right?

The music in JSRF is awful. On topic: achievements give no incentive either. You do it. So what. Nothing happens, you don't get rewarded or anything. And what about when you complete them all, do you just stop playing? No more achievements means no more incentive, right?

Personal goals are what Don't starve is based on at the moment; I don't think achievements OR stats would change that anyway.It'd be great if there was rather a challenge tracker that players could set up between each other. For example 3 people decide to see who can slay X amount of koalaphants before day Y and the ingame feature checks it for them.

Personal goals are what Don't starve is based on at the moment; I don't think achievements OR stats would change that anyway.It'd be great if there was rather a challenge tracker that players could set up between each other. For example 3 people decide to see who can slay X amount of koalaphants before day Y and the ingame feature checks it for them.

That's a really good idea! You mean, an ingame feature where you have dropdown menus to select the task and you enter a number and all that kinda stuff?Then you select steam friends and it tells everyone when one has done it?

That's a really good idea! You mean, an ingame feature where you have dropdown menus to select the task and you enter a number and all that kinda stuff?Then you select steam friends and it tells everyone when one has done it?

yep. exactly that.

Adding to the discussion, I don't think the achievements necessarily have to be integrated through steam, it can be something in the game only as well. Stats, achievements, all that sweet jazz will not make the game worse, it will just allow players that are into this kind of thing to be able to achieve things and track their activity.In other words, I see no reason why this should not be implemented. :drunk:

The music in JSRF is AMAZING. < EDIT On topic: achievements give no incentive either. You do it. So what. Nothing happens, you don't get rewarded or anything. And what about when you complete them all, do you just stop playing? No more achievements means no more incentive, right?

This is a sandbox game. Making multiple achievements gives the game progression. A lot of sandbox games are typically multiplayer unless they have some kind of deep story line (but that's an argument for the multiplayer). My point is: Without a faithful single-player story that will add emotions and a great experience all that's left is: multiplayer and achievements. No achievements = soulless game.Did I miss anything? I feel like I missed something.

Did I miss anything? I feel like I missed something.

Not everybody cares about achievements. Not everybody even cares about the statistical information about his or her adventures. Having no achievements or statistics does not make this game soulless, it's barely just lacking in the department you wish it didn't.It would be great to have achievements or stats, but it certainly isn't the biggest factor that would determine whether or not the game would be great.

I still don't get it. Are you talking about Leaderboard stats? With the cheaty mod tool people can fake how many days that have actually survived. They can spawn stuff at random so I don't think that might be such a great idea.

No, I was just talking about the personal stats. I wasn't aware there are such cheats for the game, but the game was never intended to be competitive (from the looks and design of it).Having statistical information just for yourself is good enough for me. :drunk:

Not everybody cares about achievements. Not everybody even cares about the statistical information about his or her adventures. Having no achievements or statistics does not make this game soulless, it's barely just lacking in the department you wish it didn't.It would be great to have achievements or stats, but it certainly isn't the biggest factor that would determine whether or not the game would be great.

Well. Maybe I miss worded it a bit. It's hard to explain. But try to understand what I'm saying here:You play a game that gets updated with new things every two weeks. How nice. But nothing changes. You die 50 times over. You run around collecting grass, structures, etc. You're at day 100 and you've move to a new island. Repeat process.What do you call that? Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but... ehhh it's hard to describe what I'm trying to get across.

No, I was just talking about the personal stats. I wasn't aware there are such cheats for the game, but the game was never intended to be competitive (from the looks and design of it).Having statistical information just for yourself is good enough for me. :drunk:

Check the modding section of the Don't Starve forums. Lots of nice stuff there.I agree statistical information might be a nice way to keep progress of what you have done. But.... it's ehh. You can't compare it to anything. It's just there to look nice. It's like that extra layer of frosting on a cake. Doesn't do anything. But it looks nice.

Actually I'd like to see some insane achievements, like survive 1k days or kill 100 queens just to see how many people would actually go there.

Cheaty devices in the mod forums would allow people to do that without breaking a sweat. Passing days instantly, god mods that make you invincible. Etc.

It's just there to look nice. It's like that extra layer of frosting on a cake. Doesn't do anything. But it looks nice.

Pretty much the same could be said about achievements! We aren't on Windows Live, so we don't really get them points for the effort, so it's pretty much another cosmetic addition that does not do something physical, just an icing.

What do you call that? Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but... ehhh it's hard to describe what I'm trying to get across.

If I understand you correctly, you're trying to say that it's the pointless effort, whereas with achievements you would be able to strive to do specific things in order to feel some kind of progression in the game. Right?I disagree with your POV, but I support your proposal, concerning achievements. :drunk:

Pretty much the same could be said about achievements! We aren't on Windows Live, so we don't really get them points for the effort, so it's pretty much another cosmetic addition that does not do something physical, just an icing.If I understand you correctly, you're trying to say that it's the pointless effort, whereas with achievements you would be able to strive to do specific things in order to feel some kind of progression in the game. Right?I disagree with your POV, but I support your proposal, concerning achievements. :drunk:

Yes, there we go. You do the same thing, just to die. Then do the same thing. Just to die. Wasted efforts and cheap, stupid deaths make a game feel sour. I've raged on this game a few times before (damn tall one-eyed birds are OP as ****). If there are achievements in the game at least you die and complete one and you're like "Oh well, at least it wasn't a total waste and I got an achievement."If you don't agree with my point of view that's fine. I just want people to understand where I'm coming from.

Hey guys, I was wondering how many people, probably more of the vets i would think, would like a option for achievements for survival and adventure mode. Like kill a deerclops with a axe, or equip 10 pig people with straw hats.There could be a whole ton of them and it could really broaden the player's understanding of the game as they will strive to build items and structures that do not normally get used. I think there could be some serious fun in an idea like this, give some friendly competition amongst some players. I would like to hear what anyone else thinks of this idea