Space Industry Testing Branch now open! - 288237

more regolith is bad imo. since we get so many coming from the sky. 

more iron and dirt.  I don't mind as much and totally welcome that. 

the big question is what is the heat conversion.   if it eats 300degrees C regolith what does it poop that out as??

1 hour ago, stoeberhai said:

20181005163021_1.jpg

It is eating 14 kg/cycle of regolith, dirt or iron ore.

Im guessing the "outcome" is random and not a 1:1 element conversion, because i dont think that more regolith is needed...

I was hoping it "filtered" the regolith into dirt and ore.  If it just multiplies what it eats, it still has its uses, but not as a regolith trash bin, unfortunately.

I think the whole  thing about digging and only getting 50% back is kind of silly  as far as balance goes.

What is the logic behind that?    Since everything on the map starts off as "tile"  and you have to dig them.  If they wanted us to have 50% less on digging them, then they should just  change the mechanics to be - you get 100% back and change the amount that is on the tile itself.

Mass shouldn't just disappear from digging.  This can solve a lot of the problems of the whole critter pooping to reform tiles- making it easier to understand.    There shouldn't be a mass loss.

• Like 1

Just now, RonEmpire said:

I think the whole  thing about digging and only getting 50% back is kind of silly  as far as balance goes.

It's about temperatures/heat exchange and no, before you ask, halving thermal conductivity or SHC does not simply address that the same way (never even mind them numbers being way smaller) plus...

there is also the mean to melt the icebiome for double the water, if devs want to encourage that or if it is "fun" to begin with is arguable but not silly.

Of course it would also upset the balance if one simple got twice of everything, all dat algae, all dat gold, all dat and dat and det

6 hours ago, Vampyre_by said:

can't find the way to produce isoresin, is it already can be produced by dupes or not?

I think the implication is that a rocket with a research module can bring some back. If so, yikes! Seriously late game materials!

8 hours ago, AndreyKl said:

500% is likely a bug, the purpose is to restore tiles not to convert resources. They excrete tiles!

i thought the number was right and the outcome is somewhat random (like any of these three possibilities; 14kg of regolith to 70 kg of X). since this would mean there is a risk of generating more regolith but also something useful.

they fixed it to 50% but this is even more confusing. at a rate of 50% element to element conversion you will never let these things eat dirt or iron ore and their only purpose is reducing the amount of regolith by 7 kg per cycle?? it would be easier and cpu-friendlier to just reduce the amount of regolith that is generated. unless there is something im missing :confused:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ColBBQ said:

With the introduction with the space age materials, abyssalite needs to be mixed with the space age materials to make a better insulator/conductor.

yeah i got that, my question is: if i load an existing base on the preview branch what will hapen with my abyssalite tiles?

1 hour ago, hpongledd said:

yeah i got that, my question is: if i load an existing base on the preview branch what will hapen with my abyssalite tiles?

Nothing.

I even had construction orders made before patch, and they were carried as usual.

Only change is: you may not issue some new building orders with abyssalite.

2 hours ago, stoeberhai said:

their only purpose is reducing the amount of regolith by 7 kg per cycle?? it would be easier and cpu-friendlier to just reduce the amount of regolith that is generated. unless there is something im missing :confused:

while 7kg/14kg at 100% metabolism sure is little, light-weight meteors won't help to increase performance, for it is not about the amount but the number (of individual instances). Like, what is more? Two separate objects with all their parameters/numbers or is the difference between one object where a number is doubles and in 5(+because decimals possibly disappearing) of 10 cases the digits do not change?

Perhaps meteors should simply not fall every second or so, even if only 1/7th new regolith, especially now since they can be used to produce extremely high temperatures (over 3700°C is the temperature of iron gas). Decreasing the amount to 1/10th will also cut the amount to 1/10th. Depending on the way, it'd make space quite some safer (frequency to 10-15s less so than making the default/peace season+breaks last 10 times longer relatively)

I think one of main purpose is to restore the surface tiles just to reduce the 'hole' gaps over time so when you breach space it doesn't feel like the top layer of all your biomes have been smashed away.   Or at least that's what I'm thinking they're attempting to do.

This update is potentially a big can of Worms.

The big issue I think will Be obnoxiously expensive insulation requiring space tech.

This Will not be an early game issue, but when you open space biome, regolith heat transfer can potentially boil your colony, needs vacuum or now removed abyssalite.

Also liquid Oxygen, liquid hydrogen will likely need insulated abyssalite to stay liquid, at 400kg/block that is problematic..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SakuraKoi said:

while 7kg/14kg at 100% metabolism sure is little, light-weight meteors won't help to increase performance, for it is not about the amount but the number (of individual instances). Like, what is more? Two separate objects with all their parameters/numbers or is the difference between one object where a number is doubles and in 5(+because decimals possibly disappearing) of 10 cases the digits do not change?

Perhaps meteors should simply not fall every second or so, even if only 1/7th new regolith, especially now since they can be used to produce extremely high temperatures (over 3700°C is the temperature of iron gas). Decreasing the amount to 1/10th will also cut the amount to 1/10th. Depending on the way, it'd make space quite some safer (frequency to 10-15s less so than making the default/peace season+breaks last 10 times longer relatively)

Yes, thats what i meant. The amount of generated instances, not mass.

5 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

I think one of main purpose is to restore the surface tiles just to reduce the 'hole' gaps over time so when you breach space it doesn't feel like the top layer of all your biomes have been smashed away.   Or at least that's what I'm thinking they're attempting to do.

Right, i figured out what i was missing. I somehow :? totally skipped this information:

17 hours ago, AndreyKl said:

They excrete tiles!

Now it makes sense to me, when they rebuild the surface. Cant wait to see how this works out. Hopefully we are able to do something like this:

20181005170747_1.thumb.jpg.4aaf96a3f7e377a9d0e96c6718296aba.jpg

18 hours ago, TG pro said:

can someone post a picture of the shovel vole pls?

20181006122205_1.thumb.jpg.1b8da45976521fdb8c3e8e911cc35614.jpg

WIP

• Thanks 1

I think the big question really is how tough are these critters in terms of getting hit by comets.

From what I've seen, when the biomes get breached these comets do a fairly good amount of damage killing puffs, and dreckos.

Do we need to rush to the surface to save these guys before they all go extinct?

2 hours ago, Carnis said:

This update is potentially a big can of Worms.

The big issue I think will Be obnoxiously expensive insulation requiring space tech.

This Will not be an early game issue, but when you open space biome, regolith heat transfer can potentially boil your colony, needs vacuum or now removed abyssalite.

Also liquid Oxygen, liquid hydrogen will likely need insulated abyssalite to stay liquid, at 400kg/block that is problematic..

Very true.   I usually try to get the steel tiles up and protecting the base followed by another row of insulated tiles below it to keep the heat from over running the area below.