Space Industry Testing Branch now open! - 288237

• Developer

Hello friends,

The wonders of the cosmos have given our brave Duplicants new insights into the nature of space and matter itself. Researching distant celestial bodies and sending scientific instruments along with the astronauts has allowed further development of the Duplicants' cosmic ambitions, as well as prompting new material engineering back in the colony.

There's even been whispers of micro-scale thrusters, capable of lifting a single Duplicant off the ground…

If you're interested, you can help us test this new content on the Space Industry Upgrade testing branch. These features are still being developed so please expect bugs, interface issues, and imperfect balance. We do, however, encourage you to comment on the game as you're currently experiencing it, as we'll be considering your feedback while we further develop the update.

We look forward to reading your thoughts and opinions on the Suggestions Forum.

Thank-you!

What does this testing branch contain so far?

The following content is available in the testing branch:

Spoiler

Content:

• New rocket modules:
    • Steam Engine
    • Hydrogen Engine
    • Oxidizer Tank
    • Research Module
    • Sight-Seeing Module
    • Solid Boosters
  • Added automation to the Command Module, and Space Scanners can be used to monitor incoming rockets.
  • Space research: produce Interstellar Research points and unlock space materials
    • Telescopes now produces Data Discs, which can be processed at Virtual Planetariums
    • New space materials: Niobium, Isoresin, and Fullerene
  • Supermaterial Refinery
    • New composites: Supercoolant, Superconductor, Superinsulator, and Visco Gel
  • Jet Suits and Jet Suit infrastructure
  • Robo-Miner building
  • New critter: The Shove Vole
  • Neural Vacillator art update and recharging pods

Check the patch notes for the most up-to-date changes!

What is open testing?

"Open testing" means players get to test-drive new content early and give us feedback and suggestions before it goes live. Because this is an unfinished and in active development version of the upgrade being released on October 18th, it's pretty likely you'll encounter bugs, crashes or balance issues while playing these builds. We'll try to fix any problems that crop up as quickly as we can, but it's possible you'll lose progress in your games while playing on the Testing branch.

Regarding performance, the Testing branch has additional debugging tools enabled to help us track down crashes. This makes the game run more slowly than the live version of the game.

Please also be aware that once a save is loaded in the Testing branch, it cannot be reopened again in the previous Live branch or previous builds.

What do I do if I find a crash or a bug?

Post it up on the Bug Tracker and we'll fix it as soon as we can. If you can attach a copy of your save file to your report, that helps us even more as we can pinpoint the source of problem more quickly.

Do I have to play the open testing build?

Nope! If you'd prefer to only play a stable build, you can continue to play in the current Early Access branch until the Space Industry Upgrade releases in full on October 18th. Playing the Open Testing build isn't necessary, but it helps us a lot to receive your feedback and reports - if you're interested, try it out!

How do I become an open tester?

There's no sign up or registration for becoming an open tester. If you own Oxygen Not Included and want to join the Testing Branch, all you have to do is play the Open Testing build on Steam.

How do I play the open testing build?

You can switch your branch on Steam using the instructions below:

Spoiler

How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)

• In Steam, click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Oxygen Not Included.
  • Right-click and select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • In the dropdown, select the name of the branch you want to play. In this case, the branch name is "space_industry_testing"
    • This branch does not require a password.
  • In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
  • Your game will be updated to the the previous branch.
  • Launch and play Oxygen Not Included

That's it! We hope you'll enjoy this taste of what's to come, and thank-you for your help testing out the new Upgrade!

View full update

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6

I am interested only about:

Robo-Miner building ... for regolith miner .. so by by door automation for space :) this is a good thing

New critter: The Shove Vole ... maybe eat regolith....

Added automation to the Command Module, and Space Scanners can be used to monitor incoming rockets. ... for preventing rocket crash...

and

New space materials: Niobium, Isoresin, and Fullerene ...for better temp resistance...

• Like 1

Ok. Nothing interesting as usual.

Rocket research modules have a chance to return with a Neural Vacillator Recharge. - for upgrading your duplicants...Fixed a crash in comets. --- for all the unluky guys

Can now prioritize creature lures. -- at least now i can send the slime whit the sweep arm...

Deconstruct drops all the materials used in construction, rather than just the first. --- see the steam generator deconstruct that erase the plastic, or hy pressure vents...

Stored Duplicates display their proper name and preserve their schedule. ---no more dupe forgot all their stats...

The AC cools things to 1K. -- muhahaha this is interesting

The whole new content (from the new rocket modules to the Neural Vacillator recharching pods) is awesome and give me a lot of hype.

Praise the Shove Vole, the Jet Suits and the new materials and composites ! :D

Big change: can no longer build tiles from abyssalite

Map gen bug: chlorine & hydrogen is lot generated on the map

Crash bug: using debug mode to analyse unknown space objects

Maybe a bug?: cannot build temp shift plates or gas pipes from <TEMPCONDUCTOR>

Question: hydrogen rocket engine - requires hydrogen, but there is no 'gas fuel' tank - do we need to liquefy hydrogen?

1 minute ago, KiPhemyst said:

Abyssalite is part of a recipe for superinsulator: 85 Abyss + 15 Isoresin = 100 Super Insulator

Oh, I actually like this. Abyssalite was always kind of ridiculously strong for how easily you can get it. Ceramic is a good substitute for most applications, isn't it?

• Like 9