[Game Update] - 288118

• Developer
  • Despawning at the Celestial Portal will now save your crafting, map, and pet data, as well as your survived day count.
  • Crafting description for On Tentacles now correctly indicates that it requires an Alchemy Engine.
  • Fixed issue with some users being unable to start a server with Caves enabled.
  • Fixed black box around the Marble Portrait.

View full update

• Like 20
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Alarsin said:

So now the Cartographer's desk is entirely useless in solo? :(

unless you play wilderness

Now that there's essentially no penalty for changing characters, I feel like the idol should be more costly. Or perhaps add like a 20 day cooldown or something.

now you can change to wicker, craft books and change back to max, am i right?

Edited by brbrmensch
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, brbrmensch said:

unless you play wilderness

now you can change to wicker, craft books and change back to max, am i right?

Wicker is just one example, but it works for anyone else really. Want to take down a boss real quick? Switch to Wolfgang and switch back once you're done. Want a lot of spider materials real quickly? Switch to Webber, then switch back when you're done. Want lots of logs real quickly? Switch to Maxwell or Woodie, then back again. You get the idea.

I just think switching characters shouldn't be something that should be done so easily. It's really easy to take advantage of.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ali Bun said:

I can spawn as Wigfrid and keep getting free helms, meat, and spears for free. I can also just make a bunch of equipment then go back to being Wolfgang easy.

Purple gems are easy enough to come by but "free" for armor & meat might be a bit much. At the point where you can spend purple gems without issue you're not exactly going to be having food problems.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Alarsin said:

Not in wilderness.

6 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Wicker is just one example, but it works for anyone else really. Want to take down a boss real quick? Switch to Wolfgang and switch back once you're done. Want a lot of spider materials real quickly? Switch to Webber, then switch back when you're done. Want lots of logs real quickly? Switch to Maxwell or Woodie, then back again. You get the idea.

I just think switching characters shouldn't be something that should be done so easily. It's really easy to take advantage of.

Well, it matters mostly in solo/not cooperative playstyle. In solo, most people would have the option to use console commands anyway.

I'm not sure the problem is really that big, but i don't think we should change things now, because the option is new, meaning that old servers surely has ton of stock to do this a lot of time, but this could be different in more recent servers, especially if multiple players want to change character.

So it's important to see how different playstyles and numbers of players are using it before making it more difficult.

Also, well... I wonder if other updates will come around the portals, updates that could require moon rocks. If it's the case, then there will be an opportunity choice, between changing character and doing something else, that could make the choice of changing character less interesting (or encourage you to not change too quickly but instead plan things so you can maximize your use of each characters).

Also, i have big hopes that it could allows more space for character rebalance. The fact that some characters are interesting mostly to make some farm less tedious is the sign that maybe some changes could be very welcome.

Anyway, i think it could be great to wait a little before changing this.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lumina said:

Not in wilderness.

Why would I play Wilderness now? The whole point of this mode is switching characters but since you now can do it in any mod, it just kinda doesn't make sense.

On topic though, if I eat 15 gears as WX and then despawn, will my eaten gears transfer back whenever I pick WX again?

Edited by Alarsin

4 minutes ago, Alarsin said:

Why would I play Wilderness now? The whole point of this mode is switching characters but since you now can do it in any mod, it just kinda doesn't make sense.

Well, i mostly like wilderness because you don't know where you'll spawn/respawn, so it's fun to play with friends and try to find each others, also it's challenging to respawn in winter/summer (well, could be tedious depending of some things, too, the balance is not perfect). If your only choice for wilderness was the ability to change character i understand why you prefer others modes now.

I agree with most of people here, this mechanic feels very exploitable it should have a higher price or some kind of cooldown, how about let you switch only once per character?, then that character is not an option anymore, just like touchstones that works only once on your character, then you will have only one chance to switch to certain character, you will have to take the maximum advantage of that before change again and eventually you will get stuck with the last character that you have, I would like more this new portal even if the character switch were random and you have to deal with your luck, or if the key uses an opal, then you must wait for a full moon to get the resources for one key.

There are other exploitable features in the game but this one is the weirdest one, you just need moon rock, I really hope they change this, it feels lazy the way it is now and don't even use orange gems

Edited by Rily
  • Like 3

Collecting enough moonstone for the portal itself should take at least a season, if not longer. It's not as if you're immediately able to change characters. You don't just need a single moon rock, you need a ton of moon rocks. Not to mention the purple gems, gems aren't exactly super easy to come by within the first few days, especially if you're competing with other grave diggers. This isn't as exploitable as you're all making it out to be, because you all seem to forget the initial cost of twenty-three moon rocks. You know, those things that are notorious for being a huge pain to collect??

It's kinda like the houndius Fuelweaver cheese, is it easy and takes no skill for the actual fight? Yes. But it requires that you survive at least until spring for the lureplant and eyeball, and needing to have killed the guardian and found the atrium.

13 hours ago, Alarsin said:

The cartographer's desk was never useful playing solo unless you were specifically playing on wilderness mode (not many people do), its functionality has almost exclusively been to share your map with friends.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lumina said:

Well, i mostly like wilderness because you don't know where you'll spawn/respawn, so it's fun to play with friends and try to find each others, also it's challenging to respawn in winter/summer (well, could be tedious depending of some things, too, the balance is not perfect). If your only choice for wilderness was the ability to change character i understand why you prefer others modes now.

It seems like everyone wants to nerf the portal so... I guess if they do, I'll go back to playing Wilderness.

42 minutes ago, Ressayez said:

The cartographer's desk was never useful playing solo unless you were specifically playing on wilderness mode (not many people do), its functionality has almost exclusively been to share your map with friends.

It was useful for a short period of time after the portal was added and before this update.

Edited by Alarsin

24 minutes ago, blabla123 said:

why the hell you guys allow people to change character. completely destroyed the game...seriously

How so? It opens up many possibilities for different strategies mid to late game at a reasonable cost, I don't see how it 'destroys' the game.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Now that there's essentially no penalty for changing characters, I feel like the idol should be more costly. Or perhaps add like a 20 day cooldown or something. 

9 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Purple gems are easy enough to come by but "free" for armor & meat might be a bit much. At the point where you can spend purple gems without issue you're not exactly going to be having food problems.

I have to actually play around and experiment with the new portal mechanics to come to a firm conclusion/opinion.

I agree with the point that if you're so established to constantly renew yourself, armor and food are simply not an issue. In fact, there are probably better uses of your time, like just straight up making the stuff. Also, just thinking about having to actually carry the things you spawned sounds extremely laborious and time-consuming, even if base is near. 

In terms of purple gems, I would have to raid and regenerate the ruins a few times to have an "exploitable" amount (I'm thinking like 100 moon idols). This would vary depending on your play style, the size of the ruin's size, and if you have plans for blue and red gems like me. As for the moon rocks, you're either slowly getting moon stone from meteors - which took me like 3-4 meteor showers over a season since I was doing other stuff while waiting for the showers - or you're using the moon stone to farm them. If you're using the moon stone to farm it, you would have to consider two things. First, the large starting cost of getting enough pig houses and statues to make renewing exploitable, and secondly, the opportunity cost of getting moonstone over two meat and pig skin. I value the loot more than the moon rocks honestly, even late game.

I'd have to think some more about the cooldown, though I don't think its a bad idea. It terms of cost for the moon idol, I thought it was going to be three moon stone when it came out, not one.

This is all mid-late game stuff as well. This would be really hard to abuse early game imo since that's normally when you're building your infrastructure/surviving. (I classify early game as until day 71, which is when year 2 starts and the struggle and difficulty of surviving normally diminishes, imo.)

11 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Want to take down a boss real quick? Switch to Wolfgang and switch back once you're done. Want a lot of spider materials real quickly? Switch to Webber, then switch back when you're done. Want lots of logs real quickly? Switch to Maxwell or Woodie, then back again. You get the idea.

Constantly changing characters sound like it would be annoying to me honestly, mainly due to my homogeneous play style with other characters and the fact that there are alternative methods every player can use to achieve if not similar, then satisfactory results.

3 hours ago, Rily said:

or if the key uses an opal,

On the dev stream, which I'm paraphrasing from memory, they said they considered using the iridescent gem, but decided that they would use it for something special instead.

7 hours ago, Ressayez said:

Collecting enough moonstone for the portal itself should take at least a season, if not longer. It's not as if you're immediately able to change characters. You don't just need a single moon rock, you need a ton of moon rocks. Not to mention the purple gems, gems aren't exactly super easy to come by within the first few days, especially if you're competing with other grave diggers. This isn't as exploitable as you're all making it out to be, because you all seem to forget the initial cost of twenty-three moon rocks. You know, those things that are notorious for being a huge pain to collect??

Yeah, it might be costly to get it up and running, but once you do it's fairly cheap to use. By the time you do get it up, you shouldn't have any shortage of gems from hound attacks. It's not like red and blue gems are used all that much anyway (unless you're dying a lot and using life amulets). I just think that being able to switch so easily undermines some characters as they're only really useful for farming specific resources. You can pretty much ignore their downsides entirely by switching to someone else immediately after you're finished.

• Like 8

Well, it depends of a lot of things and playstyle, i'm not sure all players will have ton of purple gems anyway or will spend a lot of time obtaining moon rock.

The point is : at the moment characters that are mostly useful for farming could be a little boring but the ability of changing character can precisely open the possibilty to rebalance them.

Without knowing if and what could come next, it's hard to say if the balance is here or not, especially since again, some players will already struggle to have access to the option. So there is a big difference between a new server and one with 4 years, veterans players and beginners, server with a lot of people wanting to change character, modded server and classics one (more characters to test, more use for red/blue/purple gem...)

56 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Yeah, it might be costly to get it up and running, but once you do it's fairly cheap to use. By the time you do get it up, you shouldn't have any shortage of gems from hound attacks. It's not like red and blue gems are used all that much anyway (unless you're dying a lot and using life amulets). I just think that being able to switch so easily undermines some characters as they're only really useful for farming specific resources. You can pretty much ignore their downsides entirely by switching to someone else immediately after you're finished.

To be honest, I'm a bit torn on whether or not I think the idol itself should be a bit more costly, though I think the initial cost for the portal is more than fair. The ability to use more than one character per world without the use of commands/a second account is a welcome change, it could certainly help keep worlds lasting into the hundreds from feeling stale. I think that was the intent here, as the portal won't be able to despawn you for at least a couple of seasons, and once you've survived winter, spring and summer and you've got a base up and running and plenty of gems collecting dust, why not be able to change characters on the fly? It's often hard to think that a full year in-game is equivalent to approximately 12 hours, but it is.