Characters need further Balancing

I don't think having Wolfgang unlocked first would be a good idea, you could just use him and simply unlock all the other characters.

Pretty much the same situation exists right now. I mean, a player just needs to get an N amount of experience to unlock Wolfgang and then he can march on with Wolfgang on a different save file in order to unlock everything else.

My personal opinions:

Wilson

I feel like he's balanced enough. A new player will appreciate being able to be resurrected, while realizing that they can sacrifice that for another character's perk.

Willow

Summed up well by everyone else. Playing fast and loose, Willow is helpful, but when playing safe she has less use than Wilson. Starts to develop a reckless character instead of Wilson's safety in numbers.

Wendy

A falter point IMO. When I first saw the game and nobody past Wolfgang existed, Wendy seemed like the one with the most useless perk out of the four. While it can be put to use, I feel that if she came every night it would be basically changing the flow of the game in a new direction. A new player would probably be scared, then slowly utilize her power using torches. The player may start to like this assistance from Abigail, and branch out into new paths- hire some pigs, start large battles, and even raise a smallbird. Wendy is the ultimate eye-opener for a player without a wiki.

The new player who just got Wendy may also be having problems with sanity (but just about overcoming that pain it brings), so in exchange for having Abigail every night, increased sanity capacity or resistance seems like a good thing. "Well, I don't NEED to play Wendy because I'm good at managing sanity now, but it's still a pretty big problem."

Wolfgang

Easy mode, no beef against it, but I think reduced EXP payout would be good. At this stage, the player is starting to get full-blown farms and crock pots, and will see the use of Wolfgang's huge stomach now that food is less of a problem late-game.

WX-78

His perk is well-founded. Up until now, the large factor that's disallowed hoarding is spoilage. WX-78 will sort of negate this handicap, but also sacrifice any other perks. The player starts to realize how important character differences are, and even that any one of them can be played well. When they die they may pick WX and miss Wolfgang's perks or Wendy's ghost, even Wilson's effigy or Willow's recklessness. They might turn to any of these and realize that spoilage again becomes a concern, yet the grue doesn't.

Wickerbottom

At this point the player may feel unsatisfied as it's just another character to pick. However, they do realize that Wickerbottom's perk is for something much different. Adventure mode. If the player has stuck to Sandbox so far, this may be the first character they use in Adventure mode. Unfortunately I feel like her perk is way too UP at the moment. If she instantly had almost everything unlocked, I think I would approve more. She's the kind of "Oh, well, I already know how to do that!" character. Like listening to a lecture and realizing you already know everything; fitting since she's a librarian. Also, with less to lose, the player will start to branch out with bees, koalephants, fighting spider queens, using new weapons and defenses, etc.

Wes

The player might be getting bored at this point. Wes is hard mode.

__

Later characters should (IMO) completely change the game. Webber should be nocturnal or otherwise use spiders instead of pigs. Wilton should take the abilities of other characters or have infinite lives or something. Wallace should make use of insanity instead of fearing it, or something. This way the game is interestingly changed with each new character after Wes is unlocked.

Pretty much the same situation exists right now. I mean, a player just needs to get an N amount of experience to unlock Wolfgang and then he can march on with Wolfgang on a different save file in order to unlock everything else.

Here's the bigger question.Should any of the characters require unlocking to begin with?

I think wickerbottom should be able to craft some unique items to her only, on top of being able to prototype science machine items.This would also make sense since she is the knowledgable character of all by far. Maybe she could craft things cheaper because she knows how to do thing efficiently, or craft some level 2 items of existing items, like an extra strong fishing pole or an extra efficient Ice box, or a librarian backpack with 9 inventory slots.