Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

JoeW

Don't Starve Together Twitch Drops

Recommended Posts

x0VERSUS1y    3,358
1 hour ago, JoeW said:

We are going to be removing drops from AFK twitch streams soon. 

Twitch drops are intended to be a way to support Twitch streamers that provide quality content for our community and AFK streams disrupt the effectiveness of the system.

To be clear. The best way to implement this system is through white listing streamers so that only SOME streamers are allowed to give drops. We are trying to avoid this. We want ALL streamers who choose to support our community to be able to take part in the Twitch drops, but we will go to a whitelisted system if we are forced to do so.

Fair enough for the intended purpose. Will not be popular with people, but hey! you win some, lose some!

Yet a pretty obvious technical question pops to mind: if one muted in a background tab the "legit" ones for first 2-and-some hours, then found "afk" channels and continued said "leeching", does one keeps first 2 drops? That would also be fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zeklo    16,393
16 minutes ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

Yet a pretty obvious technical question pops to mind: if one muted in a background tab the "legit" ones for first 2-and-some hours, then found "afk" channels and continued said "leeching", does one keeps first 2 drops? That would also be fair.

Unleas I'm misunderstanding they're going to prevent AFK streams from dropping items, not remove items from those who participated in AFK streams in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FuffledBeeQueen    2,859

So, we know about 3 certain skins already existing in game (cough cough, The Equestrienne Headdress and The Magnificent Rainometer, as well as The Amazing Ringmaster Hat) and I wonder when those will be available to drop? Im fairly interested in the Headdress one

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fimmatek    3,180
6 hours ago, Arteril said:

but people who don't usually watch stuff on twitch will be have to watch some random guy for 6 f... hours to get those drops,this is the dumb part.

To be honest, I don't really understand why people feel like they have to get these skins so much. Just because these are technically "free" skins? 

Klei obviously wants to reward those that are watching streams. With that they are also motivating other people to watch streams and so support streamers. These skin rewards are technically free and (can be) guaranteed to get, unlike many other in-game skins, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be earned. They are not "free" skins in the meaning that one has to watch a streamer for them. They aren't supposed to be given out for nothing.

They are not much different from the proof-of-purchase skins, with the exception that those are rewarded for those who bought some items from the Klei store (spending real money). Everyone has the opportunity to get these skins, everyone can decide whether the price (real money, hours watching stream etc) is worth the given skins.

At least that's how I see the situation.

You are saying that the dumb part is that people have to watch some random guy for 6 hours. What would be in your opinion a better idea? Giving these skins for free to everyone who wants them? Or instead of after 6 hours maybe already after 15 minutes? Or what do you think how else could Klei improve this system to be the best for most?

Other thought but related: my concern about disabling these afk-streams is that wouldn't it mess up regular streams? Like wouldn't it be a problem that a streamer could not know whether their, let's say, 10 viewers are actually interested or just afk-ing? I'm not a streamer myself, but I surely would be annoyed if people would only watch my videos to get skins for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeW    25,263
3 hours ago, Arteril said:

Whitelisting chosen streamers will just make people even more upset,you will be ''forcing'' people to watch a few unique streamers while they don't even want to watch any streamer at all. I doubt you would like to hear any suggestion from an ''afk streamer'' but I highly recommend you finding a more reasonable way as an early access player. Well,apperantly no other way comes to my mind but I guess thats why I'm not working for Klei and you do.

Btw I'm suprised that you didn't ask me to close my stream..I believe if I did close it people will still ask for other afk'ers and it will just transfer the problem but I really would close it if you did ask.

There are no shortage of streamers who want to provide content for their viewers.

We think this is a cool way to help support the streamers in our community who are trying to make cool content for their viewers. 

The items are a reward for participating in the community. Anybody who feels that taking part is not worth the reward, simply doesn't have to take part in the activity. 

This is not the first time we have given items for participating in community activities. We have given out many items for many different reasons. Some of them take literally hours of coordinated effort to obtain. I don't think we're asking too much here.

But again. This is a new effort for us, so certainly any suggestions to make it better for everybody involved is welcome. We'll definitely work to clarify our intentions with the system and what we expect from those who intend to participate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sinister_Fang    8,134

The problem is that not everyone enjoys watching other people play games. You're offering a reward for a task that people might not want to do. So of course they're going to try to game the system. By shutting down AFK streams you accomplish very little. Those people who want to sit AFK will just find other streams to do that. So while yes, it will increase viewers for a time, it does not encourage community participation for the people with no interest in watching a game they could otherwise be playing themselves.

I understand what you guys are trying to do, but this particular method just creates a divide. Puzzles and events seem like a better method to go about this in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
__IvoCZE__    5,890

I think there should be some report arena on twitch and if many people say that X is afker then X's klei account should be unable to be on Twitch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daermoon    1

 

23 hours ago, Daermoon said:

Hi, I did everything required and went got all three drop but it doesn't give them to me on steam! 

Klei ID: KU_uBKU-530

Twitch: Daermoon

Steam: Daermoon

 

You told me to log in that they should be there once i log in to DST and so i went and Logged in and absolutely. That's what I've been saying, twitch says I have the items but when I log in they don't show up and nothing appear for me to open!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
x0VERSUS1y    3,358
9 hours ago, fimmatek said:

You are saying that the dumb part is that people have to watch some random guy for 6 hours. What would be in your opinion a better idea? Giving these skins for free to everyone who wants them? Or instead of after 6 hours maybe already after 15 minutes? Or what do you think how else could Klei improve this system to be the best for most?

Other thought but related: my concern about disabling these afk-streams is that wouldn't it mess up regular streams? Like wouldn't it be a problem that a streamer could not know whether their, let's say, 10 viewers are actually interested or just afk-ing? I'm not a streamer myself, but I surely would be annoyed if people would only watch my videos to get skins for them.

What should be understood from all this AFK twist-and-turn is, no matter what you do, you WILL have Twitch-uninterested people wanting said skins and going on random Twitch channels only to mute-and-AFK in a background tab said streams themselves. Exactly like some people do with base-game for random weekly drops - in case you've missed it, there are guides and mods out there on Steam for doing exactly so: AFK for skins. Why doesn't Klei discourage them as well? Most likely because are not that visible to hurt any publicity stunt.

Another aspect to be understood is these AFKers will do so only for a short amount of time after a skin-giving campaign is announced because of the same reasons they are AFKing in the first place: are not interested in Twitch/streams and/or don't have time for that. Conversion rate in this case (uninterested to casual-or-otherwise watcher) is almost non-existent nevertheless. And I doubt AFKers became such a big problem to warrant punitive actions. (Btw: griefers punishments when?!)

As for AFK channels, as stated, I for one consider them just providers for a need otherwise "satisfied" via muting-in-background tab a random "legit" streamer. Again, because whatever you say and do, there will be mentioned uninterested in Twitch streams people, yet skin collectors or the like.

 

3 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

I think there should be some report arena on twitch and if many people say that X is afker then X's klei account should be unable to be on Twitch

Report area for in-game repeated griefers (Clouds, Master, S@tan-senpai, Saltzmah etc - you know, the same ones burning, hammering, swearing in chat for literally years) when?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alarsin    816
5 hours ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

 Exactly like some people do with base-game for random weekly drops - in case you've missed it, there are guides and mods out there on Steam for doing exactly so: AFK for skins. Why doesn't Klei discourage them as well? Most likely because are not that visible to hurt any publicity stunt.

That is incorrect. Klei had nerfed the family sharing skin drops for that purpose so now the only way to get more than 4 skins per week is to buy the game a second time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MasterWolf    236
5 hours ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

What should be understood from all this AFK twist-and-turn is, no matter what you do, you WILL have Twitch-uninterested people wanting said skins and going on random Twitch channels only to mute-and-AFK in a background tab said streams themselves. Exactly like some people do with base-game for random weekly drops - in case you've missed it, there are guides and mods out there on Steam for doing exactly so: AFK for skins. Why doesn't Klei discourage them as well? Most likely because are not that visible to hurt any publicity stunt.

Another aspect to be understood is these AFKers will do so only for a short amount of time after a skin-giving campaign is announced because of the same reasons they are AFKing in the first place: are not interested in Twitch/streams and/or don't have time for that. Conversion rate in this case (uninterested to casual-or-otherwise watcher) is almost non-existent nevertheless. And I doubt AFKers became such a big problem to warrant punitive actions. (Btw: griefers punishments when?!)

As for AFK channels, as stated, I for one consider them just providers for a need otherwise "satisfied" via muting-in-background tab a random "legit" streamer. Again, because whatever you say and do, there will be mentioned uninterested in Twitch streams people, yet skin collectors or the like.

 

Report area for in-game repeated griefers (Clouds, Master, S@tan-senpai, Saltzmah etc - you know, the same ones burning, hammering, swearing in chat for literally years) when?!

You hit the nail right on the head, this will not make people interested in watching streams that were not already doing so. It actually might do the opposite, and actually remove people that watch and stream since they feel upset about all the new AFK-ers (as they have been so vocal about), in addition to the people that get upset for being punished.

I think they should have done it completely differently; giving you one skin for connecting to Twitch, one for following Klei on twitch, and the last one for watching a klei stream and posting one comment. This could have actually brought people to watch their streams and actually keep coming back to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alarsin    816
16 minutes ago, MasterWolf said:

I think they should have done it completely differently; giving you one skin for connecting to Twitch, one for following Klei on twitch, and the last one for watching a klei stream and posting one comment. This could have actually brought people to watch their streams and actually keep coming back to them.

How would that bring people to watch streams? You just log in, join the stream, type “hi” in chat and leave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
x0VERSUS1y    3,358
48 minutes ago, Alarsin said:

That is incorrect. Klei had nerfed the family sharing skin drops for that purpose so now the only way to get more than 4 skins per week is to buy the game a second time.

Was not writing about how to get more than 4 skins per week. But to actually get those 4 skins without playing the game "legit" - aka AFK in god-mode for those weekly drops while doing something else: random example 1 and 2.

 

30 minutes ago, MasterWolf said:

You hit the nail right on the head, this will not make people interested in watching streams that were not already doing so. It actually might do the opposite, and actually remove people that watch and stream since they feel upset about all the new AFK-ers (as they have been so vocal about), in addition to the people that get upset for being punished.

I think they should have done it completely differently; giving you one skin for connecting to Twitch, one for following Klei on twitch, and the last one for watching a klei stream and posting one comment. This could have actually brought people to watch their streams and actually keep coming back to them.

Someone proposed a Klei Twitch channel about DST art in general, conceptual art, game directions, game ideas, game-play tests, shared concepts etc. In this case I for one would be interested - yet it needs to run at least a couple of hours, maybe in 2 intervals equally dispersed over the 24h-window so all people around globe can follow or catch it live a bit at reasonable hours for their respective regions. If they couldn't host it because, let's be frank, that would demand time and people, resources best spent on DST development, then they could hire or make a certain arrangement with one (or more) of their top Twitch DST independent streamers (2 birds, 1 stone) - so that said channel could be up at least some hours per day or so (maybe even 2-3 days/week?! At least for a fixed time-frame). Furthermore from what I gather independent Twitch channels don't have definite schedules and/or cut abruptly their transmissions because various reason - that's another deterrent; thus a more consistent deliver could be achieved via said "partnership". Anyway that's just my 2-cents-comment from a very superficial perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MasterWolf    236
25 minutes ago, Alarsin said:

How would that bring people to watch streams? You just log in, join the stream, type “hi” in chat and leave.

THEIR streams. Because I and other people are more interested in watching stuff from Klei themselves about the game, than watching some random person play. I (and many others, just see how many people have posted saying they have no interest in watching streams of people playing games), have never been interested in watching people live stream their game play. I even used to stream before and after justin.tv became Twitch, and I realized it was just not for me (either streaming or watching). Now, there are many people that DO like to watch others play, and that is fine. But, those people are already watching streams.

22 minutes ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

Someone proposed a Klei Twitch channel about DST art in general, conceptual art, game directions, game ideas, game-play tests, shared concepts etc. In this case I for one would be interested - yet it needs to run at least a couple of hours, maybe in 2 intervals equally dispersed over the 24h-window so all people around globe can follow or catch it live a bit at reasonable hours for their respective regions. If they couldn't host it because, let's be frank, that would demand time and people, resources best spent on DST development, then they could hire or make a certain arrangement with one (or more) of their top Twitch DST independent streamers (2 birds, 1 stone) - so that said channel could be up at least some hours per day or so (maybe even 2-3 days/week?! At least for a fixed time-frame). Furthermore from what I gather independent Twitch channels don't have definite schedules and/or cut abruptly their transmissions because various reason - that's another deterrent; thus a more consistent deliver could be achieved via said "partnership". Anyway that's just my 2-cents-comment from a very superficial perspective.

They already stream twice a week in their official Twitch channel, I don't know if they could bring that up higher. I would specially be interested in weekly updates from developers, or even a quick daily update from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PeterA    4,156
12 hours ago, Daermoon said:

You told me to log in that they should be there once i log in to DST and so i went and Logged in and absolutely. That's what I've been saying, twitch says I have the items but when I log in they don't show up and nothing appear for me to open!

I can see the items in your inventory on the database, so I suspect you're failing to download the latest data when you login. Can you send me your client_log.txt after you log in. It's located at Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daermoon    1
49 minutes ago, PeterA said:

I can see the items in your inventory on the database, so I suspect you're failing to download the latest data when you login. Can you send me your client_log.txt after you log in. It's located at Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether

There you go!

client_log.txt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PeterA    4,156
10 minutes ago, Daermoon said:

There you go!

client_log.txt

It looks like your twitch account was linked to your PSN account when you got the items, (the console build hasn't received the items yet so you can't see them in-game). I can see that you've linked to your Steam account now, but haven't generated any viewing heartbeats yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daermoon    1
1 minute ago, PeterA said:

It looks like your twitch account was linked to your PSN account when you got the items, (the console build hasn't received the items yet so you can't see them in-game). I can see that you've linked to your Steam account now, but haven't generated any viewing heartbeats yet.

Oh I see thanks, gotta do it again wasn't sure about It. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PeterA    4,156
11 minutes ago, Daermoon said:

Oh I see thanks, gotta do it again wasn't sure about It.

Yup, technically the items are attached to the Klei account and not the Twitch account. So when you link to another Twitch account, the items will need to be re-earned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faria    5

I am not sure if someone has already asked this prior, but how often will the drops change from one to another? Will a header in the DST main menu tell when there is a new drop available? I would much appreciate knowing so I don't miss any cool skins you guys have to offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
watermelen671    13,376
On 10/3/2018 at 10:58 AM, xxVERSUSxy said:

Someone proposed a Klei Twitch channel about DST art in general, conceptual art, game directions, game ideas, game-play tests, shared concepts etc.

Oh hey that was me!

On 10/1/2018 at 3:19 PM, watermelen671 said:

Give us an official 24/7 Klei concept art stream!

Where we get to view concept artwork for ALL of Klei's games. Man, if that were to happen I'd be all over that like hot biscuits and gravy. 

That way we'd never have to fear about losing cool concept art due to their streams becoming lost to time.

  Reveal hidden contents

There's so much concept art that I wanna see again but can't. Like the proto-dupes from ONI, and just ONI concept art in general. :wilson_cry:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FreyaMaluk    4,952

@PeterA does this work on mobile devices too? and how can you check if it's enabled?

and.. how does the watched time gets added? watching in one row or can you accumulate time.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain_Rage    1,042
10 hours ago, Faria said:

I am not sure if someone has already asked this prior, but how often will the drops change from one to another? Will a header in the DST main menu tell when there is a new drop available? I would much appreciate knowing so I don't miss any cool skins you guys have to offer.

So far every exclusive item that's been available for a limited time has been accompanied with a news update on the Steam page* for Don't Starve Together. Announcements are usually made on these forums, Facebook as well as Twitter.

However, I share the same question regarding the Twitch drops. Hopefully Klei will tell us soon on what basis the drops Twitch will be.

 

* If you got a RSS reader you can subscribe to the feed on the Steam page. It's a pretty reliable way to get notified about major updates. To be safe it's better to check to forum from time to time as well. Atleast now we will get to see any news on the main menu in DST as well, so it should be difficult to miss any updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rellimarual    4,010
2 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

@PeterA does this work on mobile devices too? and how can you check if it's enabled?

and.. how does the watched time gets added? watching in one row or can you accumulate time.. 

If you mean “Does it count if you watch the stream on mobile?” Yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.