comparator

On 9/29/2018 at 11:28 PM, thejams said:

Lol, and I thought it was a pretty elegant implementation :)

But yeah, the whole world is kinda small compared to how unwieldy the wiring and logic gates are.  For example, the next step in this exercise - the comparator itself would probably be a beast in comparison.

I have no doubt it is, and it(my comment) was not intended as an affront. I play a very peculiar, likely singular, style of ONI, and space is at a premium. Is seven the limit? I assume it works with fewer. Can it be integrated with doors, and machinery, more lights, etc? This thing will also work with gas piping? And I'm still slightly perplexed about how to read the three lights. What do they indicate? Could this be made to create a light thermometer? I guess it could switch pumps on and off too? Or power production, and whatnot... I suppose it has a vast array of applications, just unearthed. Thanks for the post, I found it intriguing and informative.

I guess it could also be nested, and array within an array? Would that work?

Yet another aside. I also assume the manual generator has no automation input. Would it not be beneficial to have one, where the gen could be toggled by automation signal, thereby signalling the appropriate dupes?

1 hour ago, Slvrsrfr said:

And I'm still slightly perplexed about how to read the three lights. What do they indicate?

It is a binary representation of a number - the 3 lights represent 3 bits, so they show numbers from 0 to 7 like this.

5bb28c4e8064c_ScreenShot2018-10-01at23_03_11.png.8c89ac1dd46b7d89bbed3ee1515c5116.png

They go hand in hand with logic gates, so explore binary numbers if you want to learn more.

2 hours ago, Slvrsrfr said:

I assume it works with fewer.

Depends on how many bits you use for the output binary number.  This example uses 3 bits so 8 possible output values (0-7).  As I set up the temperature sensor to above 10, 20, 30.... 70°C, the output values mean: 0  below 10°C, 1 means 10-20°C up to 7 meaning above 70°C).

If you use 1, bit you have 2 possible output values, which you already have with a single sensor - it's measurement is either true on or not, so 0 or 1

2 bits have 4 possible values (0-3), 4 have 16, etc...

Have you ever seen the trick where you can count to 31 on one hand? Where the thumb is a 1 pointer finger is 2, mid is 4, ring is 8, and pinky is 16? Could that be applied to the lighting sequence, and could this thing make a big-a**(I guess it would have to be) light thermometer, that would be legible from a far zoom?

13 minutes ago, Slvrsrfr said:

Have you ever seen the trick where you can count to 31 on one hand? Where the thumb is a 1 pointer finger is 2, mid is 4, ring is 8, and pinky is 16? Could that be applied to the lighting sequence, and could this thing make a big-a**(I guess it would have to be) light thermometer, that would be legible from a far zoom?

I learned to count using the Babylonian system counting with the thumb to each section of each finger. That way you count to 12 on one hand and then to five hands with each finger representing twelve on the other hand totalling 60. That's the basis of the 12/24 hour days we have, and the division into 60 minutes and seconds.

The funny thing is that most European languages aren't decimal before 13. Most have unique names for the numbers from 1 to 12. Clearly indicating that we originally used the Babylonian counting system.

A light thermometer wouldn't really need any advanced automation though. Just a light to each sensor range. Anyway, you don't need to compare to another sensor, another use would be to compare with itself by storing the result and recalling it later to compare against a new reading. This could be used to see if for example the temperature is rising or falling over time in a tank of water. 

I see the topic is somewhat universal in nature, however, without a good, practical example, there's not really going to be a wholesome conclusion seeing as how there are many ways to arrive at a desired result.

When I first read this thread, I couldn't think a of a situation in which I would need a comparator - only bits and pieces of systems where triggering mechanics would be at play. Like dwell-time in radiant systems, or what have you. Only between multiple dwelling heat exchangers would you need a comparator, and I'm guessing it would be something along the lines of choosing which one was greater or less than another.

Archived