Volcano killed me again :(

Mencken

I’m not the best at dodging (usually take a hit once every three cycles) but it isn’t just that. Was being attacked by crocdogs, and overheating  at the same time.   Thermal stone takes forever to cool and barely lasts more than a minute.  Boat got damaged so fast I had to bail.

Next time I’ll make 4-5 permanent endothermic fires, and have a thermal stone next to each one plus seashell armor and horned helmets.   Trying to survive at sea didn’t work.  I got close was only two days away from season ending..

Once you get the hang of it, the meteors are not all that terrible. You can usually keep moving in an almost straight lines, and just watch the shadows right in front of you. You can even get the meteors to kill whales and swordfish for you. Having a good light source is key, and I usually try to stay in shallow water, because the shadows are better visible there.

Forgot to say: you should also craft a floral shirt on day 1 or 2 of summer. It helps a lot with overheating. With the right management one chilled amulet should be enough for one summer when combined with a floral shirt. The following years this should become a non-issue, since you will hopefully have found either the volcano (feed the altar) or the tigershark den (Dumbrella!) or both doydoys (tropical fan).

If you want to breed the doydoys, take good care of them: put them on an island with no viney bushes (snakes will kill them), fence them in with stone walls, place a lightning rod in the middle (lightning will kill them) and cover the whole pen with flooring (eyeplants will ... well you get the picture). And of course don't go near them when danger is present such as crockodogs or meteors or sealnado (pretty much everything will kill them).

Excellent advice, I was thinking of a floral and combining it with judicious use of a chilled amulet should do it (and I have two now).  I’ll try shore hugging and straightlining.

Passed the island and saw two doydoy feathers on the shore, does it shed or did something kill it?

9 days until dry season, as usual part of my cobblestone base flooded despite it being pretty big and it’s the part near the machines, sigh.

29 minutes ago, Mencken said:

Passed the island and saw two doydoy feathers on the shore, does it shed or did something kill it?

9 days until dry season, as usual part of my cobblestone base flooded despite it being pretty big and it’s the part near the machines, sigh.

Something killed the poor bastard :( It is perfectly feasible to continue playing without doydoys, just a bit less fun. If this was a world that I would plan to build up big, with hopping through the sea worthy and all that, then I would restart at this point. But since you are still learning to survive, you shouldn't worry about the doydoy and just play on.

For flooding: being there during the first rain of Monsoon season is key. All the puddles form then. During subsequent rains the existing puddles will only expand, no new ones will form. So be ready with some sandbags, the minute you see a new puddle slap a sandback in its middle. This way it will not expand during subsequent rains. Bizarrely, this works even if the puddle is already more than one square big: one bag in the middle is enough to prevent it from expanding. But beware that the puddles will still spawn poison mosquitos, even if they are fully covered by sandbags. That is the main reason why I like a large area covered with floor around my palm leaf hut, where I will be spending most nights.

Thanks, I did make a huge base floor so I should be ok now.

Your suggestion was great, I made it through dry season!   Went through 4 boat repair kits (took 2 direct hits) and amulet was down to 3%.   Spent last non meteor periods under tree shade.  Thermal stones were useless so I just used floral shirt and two amulets.

Now I can work on building a dock complex for six boats with buoy lights and sea chests.   

This my favorite of all 3 ds games, part of the reason is the long time it takes to uncover map.

Archived