How to get large amounts of power in rocketry upgrade?

So, before the rocketry upgrade you could make crude oil > NG boilers which created insane amounts of power. Now imo it was way too op anyway and it deserved to be nerved however i'm now looking for a late game power generation replacement that meet these criteria:

1. Sustainability (no use of finite resources e.g. the use of mined coal or the heat of magma at the bottom of the map)

2. Consistency (eg. NG geysers have long dormancy periods which causes them to be inconsistent for 24/7 power generation)

3. Hands-off generation (no/minimal dupe work required e.g. the oil refinery seems to require too much dupe time for this criteria imo. An oil well i wouldn't consider too much dupe time however.

Now i have looked into a couple of options so far:

• Coal: mined coal is not sustainable but i did look into hatches and according to the ONI biology thread 1 hatch creates 70 kg coal p. cycle per 140kg of food at a 1:2 ratio. Since one generator requires 600kg p. cycle to run 24/7,  9 hatches would be sufficient to produce 70*9=630kg p. cycle at the cost of 1.24t of minerals for 1 generator. This however didn't seem very sustainable either because it eats up a lot of minerals over the long run.
  • NG: Since oil boilers are no longer a thing, pretty much the only way to power NG generators is with geysers now as far as i know. And like i said with the dormancy cycles this doesn't seem very consistent unless i am missing something.
  • Petroleum: Since i stated that the oil refinery consumes too much dupe time imo, i tried an petroleum cooker which worked pretty decent with creating power, however it had 1 flaw: it ran of magma. And it turned out that a volcano created too little thermal energy for it to keep running and since I don't want to rely on natural magma since this was a dead end as well.
  • Steam power: Something i haven't really looked into but from what i've seen it seems that it requires a lot of thermal energy from outside sources such as magma as well.
  • Solar power: this I haven't tried as well but it seems like i would need lots of solar panels to produce anywhere close to other big power producers.
  • Hydrogen power: No idea how i would get lots of hydrogen to run this consistently.

So does anyone have any suggestions?

Solar. 100% solar.

Please note that my playing style is kinda rush, and I have around 20 dupes at cycle 100.

• Before cycle 100, I rely mostly on coal and NG generator
  • At cycle 200, to support 3 electrolyzers, aquatuner, metal refinery, glass forge... I rely mostly on petroleum generator since I use crude oil as the coolant for refining steel.
  • At cycle 300, my solar farm starts to contribute.
  • Around cycle 350, I can power my base 100% by solar

Since fossil was added in Rocketry update, it's quite easy to build bunker doors and solar farm to cover all the surface area around cycle 300

solar.JPG

solar2.JPG

How much power are you aiming at? I think power stability is best achieved with multiple power sources regulated with smart batteries.

11 hours ago, asaioki said:

NG geysers have long dormancy periods which causes them to be inconsistent for 24/7 power generation

You can calculate the all-time average amount of NG generated per cycle and store the surplus for usage during the geyser dormancy period.

Hydrogen power: No idea how i would get lots of hydrogen to run this consistently.

Look for SPOM designs (Self-Powered Oxygen Modules). Hydrogen is most of the time my #1 source of power.

the oil refinery seems to require too much dupe time for this criteria imo.

Still, a single petroleum generator buffed with Engie's Tune-Up (+50% energy production) will supply 3 kW of power. I'd argue it's worth a bit of dupe time investment.

6 hours ago, camelot said:

Solar. 100% solar.

Solar needs a solid backup power source because their power production is unpredictably inconsistent ... what do you do when there's a lengthy meteor shower followed by night time? Are you not running out of power, unless you have a super large battery bank? 

Well, of course I exaggerate about 100% solar. But I played over several hundred cycles and solar consistently powered 85-90% my need (4-5kW/cycle) with only 3 backup hydrogen generators.

P/S: I have around 40 batteries. Is that super large?

1 hour ago, Mariilyn said:

How much power are you aiming at? I think power stability is best achieved with multiple power sources regulated with smart batteries.

I guess you're right with that, I was thinking about 2000 kJ p cycle or so.

1 hour ago, Mariilyn said:

Still, a single petroleum generator buffed with Engie's Tune-Up (+50% energy production) will supply 3 kW of power. I'd argue it's worth a bit of dupe time investment.

Speaking of petroleum, is there a way to heat up crude oil to 400 degrees Celsius by other means than magma/volcanoes? I tried metal refineries but the pipes break when the crude oil reaches 400 degrees and they only work when you are refining ore obviously.

46 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

You can get infinite free power with steam turbines. They're pretty simple to set up and once running will supply endless 2KW power each using no inputs at all.

Hmm haven't really looked into steam doesn't it need a outside heat-source that is depletable? maybe you have some examples for me?

2 hours ago, camelot said:

Solar. 100% solar.

Hmm haven't really looked into solar but it definitely seems quite sustainable and hands-off. Not so sure about the consistency as Mariilyn stated but lots of batteries might overcome that.

6 minutes ago, asaioki said:

Hmm haven't really looked into steam doesn't it need a outside heat-source that is depletable? maybe you have some examples for me?

Nope. Once running it can run forever without needing more heat added.

See this thread for some build examples to start with

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

Nope. Once running it can run forever without needing more heat added.

See this thread for some build examples to start with

Wow thanks for this link, it helped me find out that aquatuners don't break from extreme temperatures making them ideal for heating up magma which was the missing link for my oil > petroleum cooker.

It uses up around 6.4 KW/s to run if all the machinery would be on at once and creates enough petroleum for 3-4 generators to run pretty much non stop generating 8KW/s or 12KW/s when engie tuned -6.4KW/s ofc :D

It also doesn't require any outside cooling and produces no heated coolant now that i use aquatuners.

petroleumcooker.png

FIRST OF ALL, IF YOU LACK ENERGY THE MOST EFFICIENT WAY IS GRANT A ELECTRONIC-ENGINEER, MAKE A POWER ROOM AND TUNING POWER GENERATORS WITH HIM, YOU WILL GET ABSOLUTELY INCREASE

maybe solar is the only choice with all your requirement, but you may consider other power sources mixed:

Hydrogen: a well designed automatic water decompose will always self-sufficiency and a little power remain. if tuning hydrogen generator you will get more.

Steam: if you have any volcano in your map,  you can consider generating power with it, although it may lack consistency, it can provide an insane amount of power!

NG: this may be a supplement, NG generator with tuning will be 1200kw, I don`t think it`s ignorable.

oil: it`s unlimited, you can get NG and Petroleum both, think about a 3000kw generator.

after all, I don`t think a single power method is stable, whatever it is.

23 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Unless it's steam, in which case it is.

I never touched steam turbine since CU since it never worked. But in your link aquatuner doesn't break from overheating? I think they'll fix that very soon. And if this's fixed, do you have any other setup for steam that work?

Just now, camelot said:

I never touched steam turbine since CU since it never worked. But in your link aquatuner doesn't break from overheating? I think they'll fix that very soon. And if this's fixed, do you have any other setup for steam that work?

Look in the thread. This is just the infinite cooling variant of this build which is perpetual motion that is unlikely to be fixed any time soon.

39 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Unless it's steam, in which case it is.

yeah, you can archive it, but I think it`s a bug, maybe you can use steam with a more regular way. and balance your system with complex elements, you will gain more pleasure :)

12 minutes ago, dallion said:

yeah, you can archive it, but I think it`s a bug, maybe you can use steam with a more regular way. and balance your system with complex elements, you will gain more pleasure :)

Oh, I'm not relying on it but just like the drip cooling bug that allowed my Borg Cube design to quickly and easy fix your cooling solutions until you had a more permanent set up done, the tricked steam turbine is a quick solution that isn't terribly difficult to set up and will provide unlimited power until you have figured out a a more permanent solution. If your game play rely on bugs to function on a permanent basis then maybe you should alter your play style or you'll be disappointed a lot.  

50 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Look in the thread. This is just the infinite cooling variant of this build which is perpetual motion that is unlikely to be fixed any time soon.

Interesting, I'll try that, thanks for the info. Still, it might be fixed in next 2-3 updates which they'll heavily optimize and rebalance the game. Maybe steam turbine will work just fine without exploits in the future. I'd stick with my solar farms at this moment

Wow thanks for this link, it helped me find out that aquatuners don't break from extreme temperatures making them ideal for heating up magma which was the missing link for my oil > petroleum cooker.

Muhahahahaha....if you heat the magma.. whit my regolith magmaficator last version you can say good by to the temp drop under 1410 degrees. When the chlorine sensor detect the temp 1420 degrees it start the aquatuner and reheat the magma obtaining cool water..And whit the door pump you can dispose of the excess magma. For me the indestructible aquatuner i consider a bug and i am sure it will be fixed. Until then enjoy it.

I hope they will increase the temp range of the sensors to 3000 degrees, for not use chlorine sensor anymore, and finaly add some pump for magma..

6 hours ago, asaioki said:

Seems buggy ^^.

Would be nice if we could upgrade the aquatuner to higher overheating temperatures but the upgrade cost a ****load of ressources or some new special ressources from the asteroids which behave like gold but with + 250°C instead.

Hm the second idea would be really cool, in this case we could also build pumps and other stuff which can withstand hot enviroments

Archived