Ten Thousand Hours of Art

ResettePlayer

probably should have mentioned this before the start of the month but Yo! Join me and a specific niche of the internet for the June Study Jam!

The idea is to do even just a little bit of practice (even half an hour) every day so that by the end of June you'll have improved as an artist. Even as little as fifteen minutes of Quick Poses can help!

I'm starting off with basic animation, but anything art related is valid! Heck, even if you want to practice the guitar or coding or something, do that!

pendulum.gif.c1c2e41759207243947404b25f2d06d0.gif

You can post your efforts here, if you want. Let's all level up together!

Long-Winded Paper Rant

Spent the last... four days more or less (lost track) going through all the various papers I've accumulated over my brief stint at art school. We worked in 18"x24" most of the time, which is impractical to work with without the proper setup. It barely fits on my desk. About four of these pads of paper needed to be processed: tear out each sheet individually, fold, cut, fold again, and stitch, as well as the cardboard for the covers. The newsprint, kraft, and spare sheets of the other papers went into ten stapled "sketchbooks" which will house the observational drawings I should be doing. Boring grindy stuff. The ten stitched books consist of eight different types of paper of varying qualities, and consumed most of the four days. 

20190614_164258.thumb.jpg.89679a251cd950a5b8cb9345cf6e620e.jpg

Four of the smaller stitched books were done earlier in the year (have actually been using the ink-spattered one on the right since January), as well as two of the stapled ones to the lower right. Even so, it took like four heckin' days.

They ain't even that nice. Better than glue-bound, but have some DIY lousiness to them.

Additionally, I have another nine or ten regular store-bought sketchbooks sitting empty...plus half a ream of copy paper... and some watercolour and canvas paper... it's gonna take me like fifteen years to get through all these. Remind me to never buy paper again.

Spoiler

Ahhh, but you see, once I bought an individual sheet of this beautiful straw coloured pastel paper for a project, the one with the tank-tread-truck, and how delightfully it complimented the sepia ink! (the bottle from which the ink came is still nearly full) I'd love to explore that paper more, but alas, I cannot seem to find more of that paper--let alone in a convenient format. Perhaps a similar paper can be found... though it will probably be bound by glue... needing to be reformatted... with a lot of folding and stitching...

P.S.: Manilla paper is a similar colour, but it sucks. Ink feathers like crazy, can't erase pencil without wrecking it, it's bad. I have a whole 9"x12" 160-page sketchbook I have to figure out something to do with, and that's rough.

It's not as bad as I make it sound. The task is finished, the arm has been given a break from the repeated stress of drawing, and now I can finally use all this paper. [proceeds to draw digitally]

11 hours ago, minespatch said:

So your hand is in pain?

Yeah, the wrist was feeling particularly bad that day. This drawing was a dramatisation.

5 hours ago, Raspberry Shake said:

Wait, but 3.0+1.0 doesn't come out till next year!

Frankly I have no idea what you're referring to.

'Kay so I drew like... nine pages of Off fanart since Saturday. This one's the least sloppy.

Drawn from photo reference of the Toronto Blue Jays (national and familial obligation).

Spoiler

Definitely going to give this one a second pass.

jays.jpg

1139718176.jpg.0.jpg

1057425872.jpeg&

I love this dude. He's so photogenic and strikes these 10/10 poses effortlessly. There is also no strain upon his face ever in spite of, you know, professional sports.

IMG_20190702_0001.thumb.png.a69c756798f06e5307e1e84536a97c15.png

Sports photography is great, yo. Some of the poses are wonderfully unexpected. Had much more fun with these than watching a game on TV, since the photos are highlights rather than the same dang view of the pitcher pitching and the batter attempting to bat.

Spoiler

Pitchers are some of the world's most magnificent creatures.

jacob-waguespack.jpg

cpt102492360.jpg;w=630

960x0.jpg%3Ffit=scale

I love this dude.

Will probably do more. There are so many great poses.

6 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

cpt102492360.jpg;w=630

5a5ab3d31d47f_Arielinternalfrustration.png.7c234e5d8c237bccc0568cbd759e9ade.pngHow he...

6 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Sports photography is great, yo. Some of the poses are wonderfully unexpected. Had much more fun with these than watching a game on TV, since the photos are highlights rather than the same dang view of the pitcher pitching and the batter attempting to bat.

Yeah, the sports section in the newspaper is great art refs if you want to test the elasticity of the human body.

[inhales] batterbatterbatterbatterbatterbatterbatterbatterbatterbatterbatterbatterbatterbatterbatterbatterbatterbatterbatterbatterbatterbatterbatter
and a little bit of swing

IMG_20190704_0001.thumb.jpg.ccf2006cb380e1269a60a02c9a1b5ec1.jpg IMG_20190704_0001.thumb.png.9ffd6dfd17a40b255753f09892e4f479.png

Spoiler

I don't know what's happening but I'm impressed.

a96i7015548473-jpg.jpg

AP19140644687510.jpg?w=620

So glad there's two photos of that.

846077876.jpeg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

boston-red-sox-v-toronto-blue-jays.jpeg

Thought this pose was great and then the little caption was "[Player] suspended for homophobic slur" and that was bad news.

960x0.jpg%3Ffit=scale

image.jpg

B88687466Z.1_20190429190843_000_GP8ITT5O

Through the unknown magic of this guy we get even more great poses. He's the best.

And a jolly li'l gif to send you off

giphy.gif

Spoiler

Gifs are a wormhole all on their own

giphy.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=9194767

source.gif

AggravatingUnpleasantHound-size_restrict This bat flip caused a whole... thing a while back. 

giphy.gif DBtI.gif

Oh my lord there's a Buzzfeed article (I vaguely remember the year 2015: Maybe the Blue Jays will actually Accomplish Something.

UMjRCfX.gif

source.gif what does any of it mean

OH NO IT'S CUTE

Bautista-Lawire-dance.gif

The camaraderie ones are the best.

090814_tor_kawasaki_dance_part2_twitter_

https://streamable.com/bt9w

It only took me twenty years and a completely unrelated video game to become a Blue Jays fan.

Sorry.

Archived