Dedicated Server Long Term Maintenance

Hello and thank you in advance for your help, ive recently started a dedicated hosted server wich aims to be online 24/7 as an endless world, ive read in the forums that some things that accumulate over time can cause lag that gradually increments on the server. So i guess for a long term endless world its recomended to delete such items once in a while, can somebody point me or help me figure what commands to use?

Thank you very much!

PS: Sorry about bad englando im from argentina :)

Generally degrading performance is not an issue, unless your players are completely messing around with items or you are running your server on a potato. (People often exegerate about having a good server, and rant about bad performance, and later admitting that they are running the DST server on a VPS with 500mb RAM and one vCPU core.)

If you are concerned about degrading performance over time, it's usually easiest to just one a mod such as this one:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=597417408

It cleans up excessive amounts of entities (such as overpopulating beefalo and spider silk) periodicially and allows birds and rabbits to eat some items off of the ground like birds do with seeds in the base game to keep your map clean. There are ofc also other mods with similar effect, so feel free to look around and find the one you like most.

Less lags will not help. I used different modes of cleaning the world, but not one did not help 100%. Klei does not optimize the game and make an endless server impossible. This is a big problem, although some argue otherwise. Klei itself does not have endless servers for 64 players. I used the i3-8350K processor for the server for 2 worlds in overclocking with the frequency 5ghz (8gb ddr4 - dual channel, ssd intel) and after 8 real days of play on the server it was impossible to find more than 15-16 players at once, the pressor was 100% loaded. The server was launched on Linux, only with 1 mod - Less lags.

Due to the fact that things are multiplying and all this processor constantly processes, the server will die very quickly with a large number of players.
Plus some resources are not regenerated, that is, for example, stones will be destroyed and they will disappear forever.
It is impossible to make a private territory, a person plays once, then no longer returns, as his base will be robbed and destroyed.

And there are a lot of problems for the servers of the game DST...

Never had any issues like that on my Linux VPS on a xeon e3 1230 with 8Gigs of RAM and a hand full of random mods. (Surpassed the 2000 days not too long ago.)

1 hour ago, kecapb said:

It is impossible to make a private territory, a person plays once, then no longer returns, as his base will be robbed and destroyed.

This is indeed the intention of Don't Starve Together. It's not named "Don't Starve against eachother with base protection" for a reason. Find some nice players to play with together on a private server.

Stones are available in theoreticially infinite amounts underground from earthquakes or above ground from meteor strikes.

You have to be careful with recources like grass tufts though. If they are gone, the only source of grass would be tumbleweeds.

46 minutes ago, Daniel86268 said:

Never had any issues like that on my Linux VPS on a xeon e3 1230 with 8Gigs of RAM and a hand full of random mods. (Surpassed the 2000 days not too long ago.)

it's unbelievable, more than 1000 days the server with i3 5ghz on the core can not withstand one-way 18-20 gaming in one upper world

( I can demonstrate to you in any convenient way, any pro-processor starts to go unreported after the time of the dedicated server )

48 minutes ago, Daniel86268 said:

Stones are available in theoreticially infinite amounts underground from earthquakes or above ground from meteor strikes.

yes, but if the player first enters the server who has lived more than 1000 game days, it will be very difficult for him to find some resources

49 minutes ago, Daniel86268 said:

You have to be careful with recources like grass tufts though. If they are gone, the only source of grass would be tumbleweeds.

this is not the only problem of this game

Archived