[Game Update] - 284053

• Developer
  • ElementFilters (gas/liquid filters) now display status items and icons for if a pipe isn't hooked up to the filter port or if the pipe is blocked.
  • Fix critters that poop liquid pooping twice as much as they should with the extra amount coming out in a bottle.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when a rocket with an assigned minion landed.
  • Dupes will no longer walk back and forth across an exosuit dock if the area on the safe side of the exosuit dock has no oxygen.
  • Fixed issue where camera would continue to pan when opening up a full screen menu while panning.
  • Fixed some localization issues on the starmap screen.
  • At very low temperatures Sour Gas will now condense into natural gas and sulfur. 
  • Adjusted molar mass (density) of sour gas to sink below natural gas.

View full update

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cheerio said:

At very low temperatures Sour Gas will now condense into natural gas and sulfur. 

Interesting.  So what will we be able to use sulfur for?

Edit: From a quick check on Wikipedia, it could be used as an ingredient for fertilizer.

Edited by Man in the Mist

9 minutes ago, Cheerio said:

Top to bottom:

Hydrogen

Helium

Polluted oxygen

Oxygen

Methane (natural gas)

Sour gas here?

Steam

phosphorous gas

(etc...)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cheerio said:
  • ElementFilters (gas/liquid filters) now display status items and icons for if a pipe isn't hooked up to the filter port or if the pipe is blocked.
  • Fix critters that poop liquid pooping twice as much as they should with the extra amount coming out in a bottle.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when a rocket with an assigned minion landed.
  • Dupes will no longer walk back and forth across an exosuit dock if the area on the safe side of the exosuit dock has no oxygen.
  • Fixed issue where camera would continue to pan when opening up a full screen menu while panning.
  • Fixed some localization issues on the starmap screen.
  • At very low temperatures Sour Gas will now condense into natural gas and sulfur. 

View full update

What?

• Haha 2

• At very low temperatures Sour Gas will now condense into natural gas and sulfur

You have to bring it down to Liquid Methane (-152C) to get it to transition, and your sulfur transition is ~60% of the mass to sulfur, ~40% to NG.  I haven't sat down with the calculator yet, I figure the oil boil folks will get that done before I do. :)

56 minutes ago, Cheerio said:

Oh my dear sir, you want us to work for it? I'll be glad to put in the effort! I'll show just how creative we can get. Challenge accepted!

44 minutes ago, Argelle said:

Methane (natural gas)

Sour gas here?

If the molar mass is lower, it means it is a lighter gas. It is above natural gas, not below it.

Edited by ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy

1 hour ago, Cheerio said:

View full update

@Cheerio

Is it intended or just an over-sight that Sour Gas have a much lower specific thermal capacity then Natural Gas/Liquid Methane?  Otherwise, this could allow destroying a pretty decent chunk of thermal energy by cooling Sour Gas (0.242 SHC) into Natural Gas/Liquid Methane (2.191 SHC).  I'd almost think a liquid methane cooled aqua-tuner would be able to self cool itself.. or nearly so.

1 hour ago, Cheerio said:

At very low temperatures Sour Gas will now condense into natural gas and sulfur. 

Huh, Looking at the Specific heats of Crude Oil(1.69), Petrolium (1.76), Sour Gas(0.242) and Natural gas (2.191), the new cookers/distillers are going to be massive heat sinks... The cold natural gas can of course be used at that temp but it's still going to require heating to keep the NG generators at a workable temp. Designs that rely on heat exchanges recover heat are going to be less effective too.. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Pyrrus said:

Huh, Looking at the Specific heats of Crude Oil(1.69), Petrolium (1.76), Sour Gas(0.242) and Natural gas (2.191), the new cookers/distillers are going to be massive heat sinks... The cold natural gas can of course be used at that temp but it's still going to require heating to keep the NG generators at a workable temp. Designs that rely on heat exchanges recover heat are going to be less effective too.. 

Yeah. It's like Klei said: you thought drip cooling was bad? Well, hold my beer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

4 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Yeah. It's like Klei said: you thought drip cooling was bad? Well, hold my beer.

Haha!  I find it amusing we all basically had the same idea at the same time. :D

There is one reason that I just thought of for the low SHC of Sour Gas.  Perhaps they want Sour Gas to be practically near useless for us to be able to recover heat from it in a meaningful way?  This, of course, means you end up spending quite a lot of your thermal energy out of your heat source trying to make the stuff.  Then, further spending quite a bit of power cooling it down.  Although, perhaps at more reasonable amounts of natural gas usage, a Thermo-Regular might be decent enough.

2 hours ago, Cheerio said:

sulfur

Yay new element. I wonder if it gets a use (probably will). Then it needs an alternative source (be minable or a byproduct of a process). I can imagine people mass cooling sour gas for sulfur but an easier achieved source would be needed for new players if sulfur gets needed in some recipies.

Also sulfur + refined carbon + fertilizer and we got a pretty cool mining device.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, The Flying Fox said:

There is one reason that I just thought of for the low SHC of Sour Gas.  Perhaps they want Sour Gas to be practically near useless for us to be able to recover heat from it in a meaningful way?  This, of course, means you end up spending quite a lot of your thermal energy out of your heat source trying to make the stuff.  Then, further spending quite a bit of power cooling it down.  Although, perhaps at more reasonable amounts of natural gas usage, a Thermo-Regular might be decent enough.

Certainly a reason to get the old LOx plans out again and dusted of.

• Haha 1

Quick test :

I've refrigerated 6000g of Sour gas to his condensation point (-161,5°C) and obtain this :

sour.png.08471ed2c6c10dddf41c37cebd82ce47.png

Results :

- 4019,8g Methane (Natural gaz in a liquid state) - 66,99%

- 1980g sulfur in a solid state - 33%

So 5999,8g of total mass and a loss of 0,2g - 0,0033%

Edited by SamLogan
  • Like 8