[Game Update] - 283915

• Developer
  • Building deconstruct range is increased to match construction range.
  • Fix Bedroom, Washroom and Great Hall rooms not registering.
  • Reservoirs are now sealed so that their contents no longer interact with their surroundings.
  • Power control station is now prioritizable.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when dupes got in a rocket.
  • Critter death timer is properly stored on load.
  • Fixed issue with sprites sometimes having black borders when zooming out.
  • Fixed a missing codex string.
  • Having the command module selected when a dupe enters it no longer causes the game to crash.
  • Fixed the rocket's mission preview path.
  • Fixed build menu text sometimes being oriented vertically.
  • Building a pipe through a replaced tile no longer causes that tile to break.

View full update

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 5

8 minutes ago, Cheerio said:
  • Reservoirs are now sealed so that their contents no longer interact with their surroundings.

I was LITERALLY tonight going to finish my water layout to use this for cleaning the water.

You have crushed my heart and soul. I forgive you though, because you made this game and this game is awesome.

You should just allow us to add liquid Chlorine to water like in real life pools. Then have the dupes all red eyed and miserable from the effects.

Realism!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Cheerio said:
  • Building a pipe through a replaced tile no longer causes that tile to break.

I almost had a aneurysm trying to find out when some of my farm tiles were breaking when I put in pipes, and why others weren't.

You guys rock!! My brain thanks you

• Like 1

well considering the location of the reservoirs on the tech list this is kinda dumb. 

Imo you just took them from being useful new upgrades on equipment and builds to being nearly useless other than for niche designs and temporary storage. sure you can now hold more mass in the same area but so what having more in an area that you still dont need without being able to process it usefully. the tanks gave us options we didnt have before now its just same old same old again. literally wasisted time trying to set up a decontamination center thats pointless now... Thanks see yah next week

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, heckubis said:

well considering the location of the reservoirs on the tech list this is kinda dumb. 

While I'd use different words, I agree with the sentiment here.  The reservoirs are nice toys to have early in the game, when you're trying to get everything organized and laid out straight.  Somewhere in the middle game... they about the same use as the minipumps, the smart storage compactor, the espresso machine, and plastic ladders.  Yeah, okay.  They're there and they work... but why bother?

If the industrial storage machines are supposed to be simple designs, then they should have simple research.  If they're meant for more interesting interactions and techniques for late game, they should stay where they are and allow some more interesting game builds.  Right now I can't ever see bothering to build one and wasting the plastic, even when I have a ranch or two of glossy near my mid game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cheerio said:

Reservoirs are now sealed so that their contents no longer interact with their surroundings.

Does that include temperature exchange? Might make it a very cheap storage in that case.

In a related note, rip my EZ puft feeder. (Build an array of reservoir for maximum surface area hence maximum PO2 production)

1 hour ago, Cheerio said:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!

Ok, now the reservoirs are definitively totaly useless. :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heckubis said:

Imo you just took them from being useful new upgrades on equipment and builds to being nearly useless other than for niche designs and temporary storage. sure you can now hold more mass in the same area but so what having more in an area that you still dont need without being able to process it usefully. the tanks gave us options we didnt have before now its just same old same old again. literally wasisted time trying to set up a decontamination center thats pointless now... Thanks see yah next week

Have everyone here forgot that there is this super mysterious way of decontaminating called heating/cooling? Maybe... just maybe they want to keep it the only way to decontaminate? No, I'm reaching too far... Hm.

4 minutes ago, Tobruk said:

Have everyone here forgot that there is this super mysterious way of decontaminating called heating/cooling? Maybe... just maybe they want to keep it the only way to decontaminate? No, I'm reaching too far... Hm.

Which we can do without a tier 6 research component already.  Drop it down to level 1/2 research and remove the plastic components and I think we'd all make use of it just fine.

3 minutes ago, Tobruk said:

funny in the real world heating and cold are our least common ways of killing off bacteria short of cooking. in real life we could inject chlorine into water or mix it with air to get these kind of results . we use cold to keep things from growing bacteria sure and we cook our food  to destroy bacteria but for things like decontaminating large quantities of water we use chemicals. although we still cant inject one fluid or a gas into the water we had the closest thing the game was capable of (despite being exactly opposite)

17 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!

Ok, now the reservoirs are definitively totaly useless. :(

You mean completely broken. If I got it right, you can have Collant and Heatter "Batteries". If that is right you literally can have Cold and Hot Hydrogen stored side by side, waiting to use the same radiant pipe setup on demand. XD Imagine, cool down refined metal from Vulcans and store all that heat for when you have the right amount of crude oil/PH2O on a pool.

• Like 1

Now if only you would fix water sieves rotation and make their output temp = input temp all might be near right with the world.  Instead sieves are a heat deleter that breaks if you rotate it then build it next to a wall(on its right side)((prevents dupes from loading sand for some reason))

26 minutes ago, heckubis said:

funny in the real world heating and cold are our least common ways of killing off bacteria short of cooking. in real life we could inject chlorine into water or mix it with air to get these kind of results . we use cold to keep things from growing bacteria sure and we cook our food  to destroy bacteria but for things like decontaminating large quantities of water we use chemicals. although we still cant inject one fluid or a gas into the water we had the closest thing the game was capable of (despite being exactly opposite)

I'm not talking from a perspective of realism, but gameplay. One of the game's core mechanics is heat, and so tying stuff like germs to heat is a more reasonable approach that letting people dump chlorine into water. What challanges does it pose? How is this challanging? Everyone can amass hundreds upon hundreds of kg of chlorine even without a geyser with storage compactors full of bleach stone and pump it into the water. Instead you must learn to insulate cold/hot water, spend electricity to get it to perfect temperature, design systems to generate that energy, build proper infrastructure. Choosing chlorine is a surefire way of making liquid heat management obsolete.

would by no means make liquid heat management obsolete. it would in fact encourage more in depth designs. we need heat management for greenhouses, power generation, resource acquisition making produced materials usable without exploits so on and so forth. this gave us ways to centralize some of these things much like the added power systems did. i have been playing since long before the thermal update and the onus of the game has always been on surviving and building better systems with the tools we are given not just managing heat.

not saying balancing issues shouldn't be addressed like a complete lack of chlorine consumption should become an issue and water stored in co2 should become polluted.

the only systems this makes obsolete are washroom loops

Edited by heckubis

47 minutes ago, Ohtrin said:

You mean completely broken. If I got it right, you can have Collant and Heatter "Batteries". If that is right you literally can have Cold and Hot Hydrogen stored side by side, waiting to use the same radiant pipe setup on demand. XD Imagine, cool down refined metal from Vulcans and store all that heat for when you have the right amount of crude oil/PH2O on a pool.

How you can store heat when the pump burn at 125°C?

12 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Closed loop systems don't need pumps.

obsidian is probably my favorite material. super high melting point lets it survive all the magma you can throw at it let alone using an iron vent to smelt gold

Edited by heckubis

8 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Closed loop systems don't need pumps.

Yeah but originaly, you need to pump the liquid. But yes, the insulated thing is really interesting. Like if you boil crude oil and pump it without cool it as petroleum, you can directly put it in the rocket.

Just now, SamLogan said:

Yeah but originaly, you need to pump the liquid. But yes, the insulated thing is really interesting. Like if you boil crude oil and pump it without cool it as petroleum, you can directly put it in the rocket.

And quite literally blasting waste heat into space :D

1 minute ago, SamLogan said:

You can pump hot liquids like magma, liquid and gas pump have a "pump path" different to their image (square 4 tiles)

C23261509C0949E17913BE71CBF13AC214CDB157my obsidian forge still being primed most of it is hot enough to start pumping in steam without it cooling.

691BE5D0284E4CB1C5DA1662D9960B66682E5418

planning uses for all sorts of heatD3C0AE10A7E7F03BA1EDEFF6AA4E3183316567C3

phase 2 check. those 3 lines are full minus 2 tiles with valves set to about 800g/s full pipes stop just shy will pump indefinitely(probably the oldest exploit in the game). once thermal mass is at a certain temp the iron will flow again currently i have about 15 tons sitting on that vent heating about 40tons of obsidian debris that i loaded into storage boxes then deconstructed before building the rest of the forge

Edited by heckubis