Regolith big problem

Why not simply dig it up and leave it on top of your shield? Digging deletes half of it's mass. Let's assume each meteorite cycle deposits, on average, 1 ton of regolith per tile:

After 1st cycle: 1000 kg
Dig it up: 500 kg
After 2nd cycle: 1500 kg
Dig it up: 750 kg
After 3rd cycle: 1750 kg
Dig it up: 875 kg
After 4th cycle: 1875 kg
Dig it up: 937 kg
After 5th cycle: 1937 kg
Dig it up: 968 kg
After 5th cycle: 1968 kg

This means, if you keep digging it up and don't stockpile it, it will never exceed 2000kg/tile. Just treat the top of the shield as your indefinitely replenishing regolith stockpile.

Say what you will about the regolith, I like having several gigatons of the stuff. Once I actually covert it to something useful, I'll be rich I tell ya, rich, bwahaha *laughs histerically*

*ahem*

I so want to melt it into magma, but my Metal Refinery doesn't run very often due to lack of lime.

I am stuffing the regolith into a few Water Sieves > Polluted Dirt > Composts > Dirt > Sleet Wheat > Pepper Bread. If only I had MORE polluted water. I'm already running six showers ... I think I need lots more sinks.

If I had more polluted water I could make more Polluted Dirt > Polluted Oxygen > Liquid Oxygen > Oxygen. Essentially one could sustain duplicants on Pepper Bread and Oxygen all from regolith if one had enough means to pollute water. Go figure!

9 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

Essentially one could sustain duplicants on Pepper Bread and Oxygen all from regolith if one had enough means to pollute water. Go figure!

Idea for making polluted water: 

Lock Stinky in a small room with a sink and a pile of polluted dirt from the outhouse.Stinky puts polluted dirt in storage compactor, gets food poisoning germs, then washes hands in sink.Autosweeper takes polluted dirt out of the storage compactor and drops it on floor. Repeat.

(Edit) Welp. I went and did it.

0iZZ6kP.png

I gave Harold one cycle and he produced 245 kg of polluted water, which adds up to 9.8 kg of dirt, after sieving. Assuming that's relatively representative, a single one of these could support nearly two sleet wheat plants!

And thus I solved everyone's polluted water problems forever.

under you have hot to melt the regolith much faster and much easier. Just put an conveyor receptacle submerged by magma made by wolfram and the rails also made by wolfram. When the inside regolith reach 1409.9 degrees it melt and new regolith replace it. It can be used a copper, gold, magma volcano, or you can use the bottom asteroid portion of magma for that. First set the rails and receptacle, dig the room, vacuum it and start melting it.

image.thumb.png.e3a9b2ceeb38baa4119724a17cb61132.png

On 8/26/2018 at 8:08 PM, Christophlette said:

I made some tests friday I think. The amount of regolith has been reduced drastically in the next update (Rocketry Upgrade). So it will not be a pain anymore. You may even beg for comets !

yeah, right

1.png

Posted my screenies on this here in the linked thread below.

For me the problem already starts with the bunker doors. I would like to see a version which is 3 times wider, which may be of use as we now have rockets. Also if a bunker door opens, I would like to have building which sucks up all the stuff as it drops down. Not the sweeper, something else....Like an "Regolith Drop-Down-Air-Suction Unit", which sucks it in sideways as it drops, covering 10 or 20 tiles width. Also a super expensive mega detector would be great, so its possible to build just one mega detector. Just make it mega expensive or that it needs insane amounts of energy. Nobody is taking players current automated Regolith builds away, but for me it feels too micro managing. Id rather focus on "Playing the game" !

Spoiler Alarm ! Great video :p Thanks for sharing.

Hahaha, one starts watching and is excited and then the movie throws in the door exploits ! I wonder if they have made the bunker door and bunker tiles indestructable now ? They used to break after lots of impacts...

2 hours ago, Christophlette said:

Is this game started in RU ? Which cycle is this ? You could have done better than just put a screenshot with lots of informations missing. Maybe a little explanation or something.

yes it is started, cycle 600

ended up debug deleting it all because it would overheat my space base and I couldn't collect it efficiently

I have a similar story about my regolith showers. After many cycles i decided to clean the base that i established below the small part of surface i have already "conquered". It took me around a hundred of compactors to even clean the boulders that made it into my base (not to speak of the surface itself of course).

0A34DC8E41273FDFCBDA357366740333CFBB40E7

But when you see what kind of stacks are still left lying on the ground, you will agree that the current compactors are too small to manage this.

61960B6FB6AFCFDB9FD1B8A3D4D5086879E0B4B4

The volume alone is one problem, especially since dupes can only pick around 2t of volume each trip. It can take quite a few days to fill all those compactors.

The other problem is that regolith drops at around 300°C. So not only does it heat up your storage zone, it does also create quite a few problems if you decide to go for a conveyor solution.

My verdict: tier2 storage compactors with 100t capacity!

I suggested an compactor skip of 100,200 or 500 tons in the past. I had something like 1000 full compactors in my map, by natural gameplay. At the end I played in debug and deleted them all. Deleting full compactors in debug still crashes my game most times - Its the only thing which makes my game crash. In terms of frame rate I have now got the play style that I delete all materials laying around and dont play with compactors at all.

The other problem is that regolith drops at around 300°C. So not only does it heat up your storage zone, it does also create quite a few problems if you decide to go for a conveyor solution.

The conveyor is not a problem. Use steel for the sweep arm and receiver... gold for rail sealed whit igneous isolated tile and for the melting area wolfram rail an receivers. I post a picture above for how to cool the sweep arm and receiver (radiating pipe fill whit cold liquid, whit termoshift plate and some liquid (oil or petroleum) for better contact) if the temp is over 275 degrees

6 hours ago, tzionut said:

The conveyor is not a problem. Use steel for the sweep arm and receiver... gold for rail sealed whit igneous isolated tile and for the melting area wolfram rail an receivers. I post a picture above for how to cool the sweep arm and receiver (radiating pipe fill whit cold liquid, whit termoshift plate and some liquid (oil or petroleum) for better contact) if the temp is over 275 degrees

Thanks for the hint, but there is no volcano on my map!

Thanks for the hint, but there is no volcano on my map!

This is no problem. transport to the bottom part of the map an use the magma. Fist need to make void for prevent the heat lost, and be careful not to go to the 1409.9 degrees. For transporting and use the heat of the magma for the steam generators. Or if you want use the igneous at 1409 degrees (after you dig it) for wallpapers in the void area or give it to the stone hatches outside of your base for preventing heat contamination. 

this definitely is a major problem. and is lagging my game. I started using sweepers and its noticeably lagging.   turning off the sweeper for it and game runs again.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:41 PM, tzionut said:

it takes forever and lags insanely  just doing the sweeper. somebody above suggested making multiple sweepers and compactors to move instead of rails, which sounds a lot better  than moving them on rails with 20-80kg  chunks.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:28 AM, Sevio said:

Not a perfect solution but if you just want to collect it all to stop it from lagging the game, you could put it all under a bunker door (sweep it up, then drop it out of the compactors), wait for some regolith to accumulate on top of it and then bury all of the collected regolith:

regolith-bury-1.jpg.1a42e5d0c721d57768543cd295cfa230.jpgregolith-bury-2.jpg.810c1a980b2f3378da7b2f653667adb3.jpg

Once done, close bunker door. By the time you have enough regolith to bury again, the door should be covered again and you can dig away the regolith in the pit and repeat the process.

does that delete any or are you just condensing them to a big stack of 25t

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:33 AM, Mariilyn said:

Relevant video by Brothgar. This set-up is able to delete regolith.

was a cool video. learning some new things.

question though is the Steam Turbine still OP.    and would it just make sense to leave the regolith to be sitting in a pit below the rocket to have it melt it.

58 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

question though is the Steam Turbine still OP.  

They don't let sunlight pass through anymore but still can protect against the meteors.

59 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

and would it just make sense to leave the regolith to be sitting in a pit below the rocket to have it melt it.

I kinda doubt that it would be enough to melt a reasonable amount of regolith.

My compressed pile of regolith is now at ~30 kilotons, and every first time (after loading the save) that I hover my cursor over it, the game freezes for about 30 seconds.

If you want an effective way to remove regolith, I would suggest to activate sandbox mode and destroy it. 

A lot of solutions presented, which is appreciated, but it all requires volcanoes, magma or Brotghar's solution. At best you have a volcano nearby and you only loose a few hours setting it up. However, if you don't have it nearby, that quickly can become a dozen hours and when you really have bad luck you'll be sacrificing all your spare time for a few days just to get transport set up from the top to the bottom of the map. Assuming you don't use debug.

I personally "solved" the issue by having the bunker doors right at the no fly zone and a few cells below I built one row of airflow tiles. The regolith gets limited already because of hitting the no fly zone, and when the bunkers door open, I simply dig up the regolith block. I will not even attempt to store it. Getting the Gravitas POI regolith free was already 60+ cycles for me.

Regolith currently is really broken. I hope that's something they will tackle once they start to optimize gameplay.

3 hours ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

A lot of solutions presented, which is appreciated, but it all requires volcanoes, magma or Brotghar's solution. At best you have a volcano nearby and you only loose a few hours setting it up. However, if you don't have it nearby, that quickly can become a dozen hours and when you really have bad luck you'll be sacrificing all your spare time for a few days just to get transport set up from the top to the bottom of the map. Assuming you don't use debug.

I personally "solved" the issue by having the bunker doors right at the no fly zone and a few cells below I built one row of airflow tiles. The regolith gets limited already because of hitting the no fly zone, and when the bunkers door open, I simply dig up the regolith block. I will not even attempt to store it. Getting the Gravitas POI regolith free was already 60+ cycles for me.

Regolith currently is really broken. I hope that's something they will tackle once they start to optimize gameplay.

agreed.   im working on just clearing the debris  from recently reaching the surface.    I haven't even started making an automatic crusher and moving them left or right with brothgars idea.   its a great idea to shift them to one side and pile it up.  was thinking shift to the far left or right of the map and just have it push off into a hole that goes to the bottom of the map into a pit of magma. lol.

On 29/08/2018 at 6:59 PM, FierceClaws said:

yeah, right

1.png

Only the amount that drops from asteroids, you would have to start a new world, after EU they did change how the regolith was created which did reduce the amount by a fair margin, enough that i got my frames back

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:43 PM, QuQuasar said:

Idea for making polluted water: 

Lock Stinky in a small room with a sink and a pile of polluted dirt from the outhouse.Stinky puts polluted dirt in storage compactor, gets food poisoning germs, then washes hands in sink.Autosweeper takes polluted dirt out of the storage compactor and drops it on floor. Repeat.

(Edit) Welp. I went and did it.

0iZZ6kP.png

I gave Harold one cycle and he produced 245 kg of polluted water, which adds up to 9.8 kg of dirt, after sieving. Assuming that's relatively representative, a single one of these could support nearly two sleet wheat plants!

And thus I solved everyone's polluted water problems forever.

Nice.   You could even give him a bed and automate food delivery to him and just have him locked in there forever.  If he gets too stress and vomits, even more Polluted Water.  no toilet = make mess and use that!  I'd probably give him a shower just to be nice.   I suppose you could add a deoxidizer too so you can consume even more Regolith and make some clay.

Archived