Walani Viability

I've been playing around with all the Shipwrecked characters and I was wondering something about Walani. Is she underpowered? It's kinda fun playing her at first. Surfing is fun, but the surfboard gets outclassed once I start making boats with sails. I can't find a good reason to surf after that. Well, I mean she does get a sanity bonus from waves but that feels so minor. Am I missing something with Walani or am I supposed to stop surfing after a certain point?

That's just... what character she is. She's like Wendy- at first Abigail is nice but then you realize that she's useless against bosses. And so now you're left with a character that just hits weaker and looses less sanity.

I'm pretty sure that Walani was created to help new people in shipwrecked.

Walani's biggest advantage is a portable "boat". Yeah, it's not quite as good as other boats, but being able to pick it up and carry it with you is quite convenient when exploring. You don't need to go to the spot you docked if you want to leave the island you're on. She kinda suffers a bit in the late game when her perks become less relevant, but the same can be said for quite a few other characters as well.

I guess I'm a weirdo when it comes to playing Walani, because I keep a Surfboard+additional ingredients on me at all times, even in the very late game. The Surfboard's minuscule cost lets me churn them out like clockwork, and the additional benefits to speed and sanity from its Wave riding boosts are enough to make it a permanent inventory fixture for me.

Walani idea changes

Surfboard buffs: if the boat breaks (while surfboard is in her inventory) it save her from drowning; surfboard has immunity to wave damage but you still take wetness

Dryness: 20% --> 30%

Chill: x0.9 slower sanity --> Shadows are x0.75% weaker (health, movement speed and attack speed)

Hunger drain: x1.1 --> x1.25

The extra life idea is kinda cool. It's not something that would come up often if you play well, but it would be useful for newer players.

Her dryness perk is really bad. I thought it was wetness resistance at first but it really is just drying off 20% faster. If it was actually wetness resistance, she could reach 100% with less gear than most characters. That would make it somewhat useful.

Archived