Rocketry Upgrade Testing Branch Now Open! - [Game Update] - 282822

1 hour ago, WanderingKid said:

Out of curiousity, how are you supposed to train more astronauts when the tech try runs dry?  Passive xp is horrible.

they need some sort of generic future tech tree  like in those civ games where you research nothing but it increases  or gives you some bonus.

or some RnD option  or simulation/science experiments that help get your guys to boost their learning skills.

32 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

they need some sort of generic future tech tree  like in those civ games where you research nothing but it increases  or gives you some bonus.

or some RnD option  or simulation/science experiments that help get your guys to boost their learning skills.

would be nice if we get a training facility, where someone who mastered the job can just be assigned there with trainees to rapidly increase their experience/relevant skills

• Like 2

Spoiler
6 hours ago, Saturnus said:
6 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

I haven't tested it out yet.   But are these "Resource Missions"  that you send your guys on like those browser games where you "send your guys" out on quests/missions with a timer that goes off for X minutes/hours    and then returns with a results report screen and loot rewards.??

Lets hope not. That would be a real kick in the face to all of us.

5 hours ago, Naatch said:

at least for now it would not be something really weird, i mean, i really like the idea of explore that places by ourselves, but it could bring a lot of job, new biomes(or varieties of existing ones), critters, like the cow, resources, even buildings and dangers. Got that implemented in only one update seems something very difficult, may be with time it could change, step by step, we dont know yet.

i dont think we are so near to the end, i see this like a window throught many things could be added, today, before the release, i was thinking in sort kind of advanced research that will needs duples to put their "laboratory" in a specific place, and the telescope is just like that, im so happy for all the posibilities that come with this update, both with space and a third research level and the space exploration. There are many things like the palm tree, the vulgus (i hope this two in a new biome in our asteroid) and the radius that still needs a place in this world, and i am pretty sure that Klei have more ideas hidden yet.

I like the idea of something like kerbal, a time to travel around there, then a message jump in our screen allowing us to control the dupes out there, do their thing, who knows, and then, when we've done, come back to the colony and the rocket will be in course again ... but, this is just a raw idea, it will be complicated intregate this to the game ... there are various ways of doing this.

PD: Sorry if i write something wrong, im starting to practice more english.

I agree with @Saturnus, we don't want to just say "Launch Mission" and then get resources after some time. Exploring and building within the worlds as if they were a mini-maps is one option, like @Naatch explained. You could be limited to the resources you brought:

• no food at the destination, means once the duplicants consume the rations they brought on the rocket, you will need to return
  • no oxygen at the destination, so once your oxylite is all gone, you will need to leave before your astronauts suffocate

Our primary asteroid/world is essentially left on pause and we can pick up where we left off when we return from our mission.

But do we really want these missions to be just resource runs? ONI is more than just a gather resources game. Klei has given a lot of attention to the duplicants downtime, their morale, their social interactions. We need to bring back more than just resources, and I think Klei is doing that by having the missions gather interstellar research. These missions need to further the colony's development and improve its culture.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Out of curiosity, did the meteor shower have been fixed ? They are supposed to start when you discover the surface but, in reality, start on the very first cycle (I have tried to find something about that but found nothing so far).

2 hours ago, yoakenashi said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I agree with @Saturnus, we don't want to just say "Launch Mission" and then get resources after some time. Exploring and building within the worlds as if they were a mini-maps is one option, like @Naatch explained. You could be limited to the resources you brought:

• no food at the destination, means once the duplicants consume the rations they brought on the rocket, you will need to return
  • no oxygen at the destination, so once your oxylite is all gone, you will need to leave before your astronauts suffocate

Our primary asteroid/world is essentially left on pause and we can pick up where we left off when we return from our mission.

But do we really want these missions to be just resource runs? ONI is more than just a gather resources game. Klei has given a lot of attention to the duplicants downtime, their morale, their social interactions. We need to bring back more than just resources, and I think Klei is doing that by having the missions gather interstellar research. These missions need to further the colony's development and improve its culture.

The system map should be like the Caves in Don't Starve. I'd leave the system map fixed, but generate each POI individually. Theme them. Unique critters and zones and elements with unique properties. Have some large enough to support founding a colony with a reasonable (or slightly less reasonable, for the hardcore) resources on site. I'd have the two colonies function independently, way too much work in Kerballing it and trying to keep time relative, but allow them to ship things back and forth between the two colonies, up to and including all dupes.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Saturnus said:

EDIT: scratch that. Maybe the purpose is that they work as buffers. In that case they'd be very handy indeed as it'd eliminate a much more complicated set up that requires automation and power.

I think the point of them is literally to be a massive buffer without having to rely on pumping it to a room at 20kg, then pumping it out when you need it. Personally I think part of the use is so you can pump it to rockets when needed etc.

Ideally I would love having it with automation though so I could fill it and empty it as needed.

The big thing this adds though as these are buildings storing gas which can be in your gas tank anyway so its adding more gas per tile really. 

2 hours ago, yoakenashi said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That is literally the best thing, I suggested it a while ago, if its a metal asteroid etc make it that thats all there is, yu can only stay as long as the supplied you bring can keep you going. Aggresive critters would also be nice

• Like 2

Assuming this update is the endgame, can someone shed some light on what's the point? What's the point of adding new source of NG from space? Why do I need more resources from space?

By the time I level astronauts and build rocket, my base is done. The novelty of space cows will wear of within few cycles.

Is it time to update road map now that all goals are ticked of? Or is this end of the road?

41 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

Assuming this update is the endgame, can someone shed some light on what's the point? What's the point of adding new source of NG from space? Why do I need more resources from space?

By the time I level astronauts and build rocket, my base is done. The novelty of space cows will wear of within few cycles.

Is it time to update road map now that all goals are ticked of? Or is this end of the road?

You wont always have every resource on one map, but so far I didn't have much problems with running a base without natural gas for example.

I can run base without chlorine vent as well.

Seems like there is a lot of options on current maps that eliminate the need to send out rockets to space, for something you don't have.

Your base wont suffer from lack of chlorine or natural gas or other small things. If you have the current standard map with water/ cool steam vents you don't need to send rockets into space. Seems like its all getting optional things that you can do, but there is no real reason to do so.

We are getting into don't starve kind of situation, but this game has no real mod support so it will be hard to change things around to make it more fun.

So I would like some developer to jump in and explain what's the point of those Tribes like timed missions.

While melting point of various things is still over 9k C, on top of one time use items like reed fiber, and a lot of useless things that are not implemented fully on the asteroid.

Edited by _Q_

@JarrettM @Cheerio Could you provide a bit more explanation to why you choose to replace natural gas with sour gas as the boiling product of petroleum? We understand the numerous oil boilers produced too much natural gas and could be considered overpowered, but at the same time it is a hard, fun and rewarding challenge to build such boilers. These are not easy to construct! Wasn't adjusting the conversion ratio a better option? Or will sour gas have an useful function that justifies building complex and resource-heavy devices like the oil boilers?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

@JarrettM @Cheerio Could you provide a bit more explanation to why you choose to replace natural gas with sour gas as the boiling product of petroleum? We understand the numerous oil boilers produced too much natural gas and could be considered overpowered, but at the same time it is a hard, fun and rewarding challenge to build such boilers. These are not easy to construct! Wasn't adjusting the conversion ratio a better option? Or will sour gas have an useful function that justifies building complex and resource-heavy devices like the oil boilers?

Personally I think they just made it because it was easier than implementing a better but more complex solution. Just adjusting conversion ratios would have meant mass deletion (on a massive scale), and mass deletion equals heat deletion, so by just adjusting the conversion ratios it'd be dead easy to exploit it oil boiling for unlimited cooling. The other alternative, and the better one, would be that boiling petroleum would generate small amounts of NG but large amounts of CO2. Effectively making an effective oil boiler much much more complex undertaking. And given how the game handles gases would massively affect game performance negatively.

I'm fine with the stop gap solution they chose though.

15 hours ago, AzeTheGreat said:

Gas Reservoir - What's the point?  21 tiles to store 150kg.  That's worse than a high pressure gas vent.

how do you store 150kg of gas into a 21 tile room? counting the tiles used for wall of course

I`m pretty sure that what we see now is just a foundation. It`s likely we will get more engine types for rockets using different fuel and giving different amounts of power. The space cow producing nat gas should be just a byproduct. it`s a cow after all it needs to make milk. Will it be drinkable is a different story, maybe it will be some kind of industrial ingredient.

The mining space system is a good thing for infinite colonies that run out of rock and ore. You can always get some extra ore from space but it`s not super interesting. Well at least not for now. They can easily add more stuff to space. More alien creatures, more unique resources. But what they need to do is some sort of dangers. Maybe rockets would get damaged in missions and need repairs after. Maybe a rocket could get stuck in space and need a rescue mission. There`s a lot of options already.

4 minutes ago, Exa said:

how do you store 150kg of gas into a 21 tile room? counting the tiles used for wall of course

To be honest I think both of you are looking at it a bit wonky. Why not have a normal gas storage room, and have these inside it? that way you have the 20kg/tile in the room plus an additional 150kg in the resevoir.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Exa said:

The building is just 15 tiles not 21. The temp graphic is not aligned. They are efficient once you discount walls.

1 minute ago, BlueLance said:

To be honest I think both of you are looking at it a bit wonky. Why not have a normal gas storage room, and have these inside it? that way you have the 20kg/tile in the room plus an additional 150kg in the resevoir.

genius

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

The building is just 15 tiles not 21. The temp graphic is not aligned. They are efficient once you discount walls.

Depends. It's pretty easy, almost trivial really, to make infinite storage rooms. Typically my gas and liquid storage tanks have 10s if not 1000s of tons per tile. But as a small buffer eliminating the need for a pump they're a great addition.