Rocketry Upgrade Testing Branch Now Open! - [Game Update] - 282822

18 minutes ago, psusi said:

How are you supposed to keep from overheating before you get exosuits and dig up oil?

Sacrificing one of your ice biomes should be plenty of worts/ice to keep a base cold until you get to oil, although some people like to keep every single ice biome intact for the free sleet wheat.  If you have decent NG geysers close to your base you could generate a fair amount of cold from your NGG farm, or a slush geyser solves your problem of course.

3 minutes ago, Christophlette said:

Toosmall.thumb.png.fed22dd29f0604189261125bf8adcf88.png

I think they didn't take the size of bunker doors into account when designing rockets :p

The new critter (gas moo) converts the new plant (gas plant) into natural gas. And the new plant grows in 4 cycles using 500g chlorine per cycle. I guess chlorine geyser will be gold now.

Oil transforms to petroleum when heated.

Petroleum transforms into Sour Gas when heated in RU (new gas)

When cooled, Sour Gas turn into Naphta now. So no way to get NG with cooking. Only via the oil refinery.

I love you! Thanks for explaining it :D

Also.. I feel cheated cause I never got to the point of having to boil Petroleum. You guys are so much better than I am at this game

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BadlyBurned said:

I'm totally lost. I read the patch notes and most of the replies here. What on earth is sour gas and why has this whole NG thing been nerfed? I read through the notes twice, but I can't find any explanation.

I'd appreciate any help understanding this... please write your answers as if the person reading it barely passed grade 9 Science 101.

Currently in EU, there are two main ways crude oil gets used to make power.

1.  run through a petroleum refinery, and then into a petroleum generator.  leaving out the NG from the refinery, this turns 4 kg of crude oil into 2 kg of petroleum, which makes 2000 Watts for 1 second, or 2000 joules of energy.

2. crack the crude oil into NG using magma.  This turns 4 KG of crude oil into 4 kg of natural gas, which makes 800 watts for 44.4 seconds, which is 35555 Joules.  You can see that this is roughly 18 times as much energy per kg of crude oil, which is a huge ratio.  This is why method 2 needed to be nerfed, the machines to crack oil were quite complex, but that ratio was still just so high, and that was even after nerfing the ratio.   A few patches ago the ratio was more like 50 to 1, but NG generators were nerfed and petroleum generators were buffed. Another nerf to the ratio of equal magnitude would have left it pretty balanced, but Klei just gave up and destroyed the thermal conversion altogether in RU, after only one halfhearted attempt to balance this process.  I'm not sure why that is.  You can still boil oil into petroleum, but boiling petroleum now results in sour gas.

Edited by trukogre
  • Like 2

@JarrettM: Can you please also tell us whether all the contents of this update (bar the "no-sweat" mode) are available in our existing savegame from the expression update? Or are there new arrivals for which we need to start a new colony?

On 12.7.2018 at 10:38 PM, Ipsquiggle said:

I feel like I should put this somewhere since I always answer you.. ;)

Did you not send the memo to Jarrett?

0233b5d3aefd73acc666824d1fbf96f8.jpg

Edited by blash365
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, trukogre said:

Sacrificing one of your ice biomes should be plenty of worts/ice to keep a base cold until you get to oil, although some people like to keep every single ice biome intact for the free sleet wheat.  If you have decent NG geysers close to your base you could generate a fair amount of cold from your NGG farm, or a slush geyser solves your problem of course.

Also, it seems like wheezeworts are now renewable through space explorations. Spam a couple of them in ur base!

Just now, Fraxotic said:

Also, it seems like wheezeworts are now renewable through space explorations. Spam a couple of them in ur base!

Well, he was specifically asking about early game solutions, so I'm not sure space exploration is relevant for that exact question.

1 minute ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

Ok given we are talking about a spaceship, I just have to ask xD: does the game crash or does the ship crash on the surface?

The game crashes.  I was able to get...half a launch...but I forgot to open the bunker doors.  Reloaded to try again and it crashes every time now.

1 minute ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

Ok given we are talking about a spaceship, I just have to ask xD: does the game crash or does the ship crash on the surface?

The ship just "pops" back into the place it were. And the game crashes sometimes. The second rocket made my game crash.

1 minute ago, trukogre said:

Well, he was specifically asking about early game solutions, so I'm not sure space exploration is relevant for that exact question.

My point being to get as much wheezeworts as u can through regular exploration as u progress and explore space when ur home planet runs out of them.

5 minutes ago, Fraxotic said:

My point being to get as much wheezeworts as u can through regular exploration as u progress and explore space when ur home planet runs out of them.

I still don't see what space exploration has to do with the early game viability of wheezewort cooling; simply repeating your point won't make it relevant.  I'm glad that you are excited about getting more wheezeworts from space exploration.

Edited by trukogre
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fraxotic said:

In my opinion you get enough wheezeworts to completely freeze your base, so I see no sense in looking for more or even needing more. What do you guys do? Sleep beside a volcano?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Tobruk said:

In my opinion you get enough wheezeworts to completely freeze your base, so I see no sense in looking for more or even needing more. What do you guys do? Sleep beside a volcano?

This. I'm almost at cycle 1000 and my base is still temperate with a grand total of 5 wheezeworts inside it pretty much since cycle 100. All i'm saying is to get as many wheezeworts as you need for early game cooling while keeping in mind that you can get more if you need to later on. What's so hard to get? lmao..

I haven't tested it out yet.   But are these "Resource Missions"  that you send your guys on like those browser games where you "send your guys" out on quests/missions with a timer that goes off for X minutes/hours    and then returns with a results report screen and loot rewards.??

2 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

I haven't tested it out yet.   But are these "Resource Missions"  that you send your guys on like those browser games where you "send your guys" out on quests/missions with a timer that goes off for X minutes/hours    and then returns with a results report screen and loot rewards.??

Seems that way, my rocket came back with some stuff in the storage module, I don't think I got a report screen though. Granted, I've only sent out one rocket so far. Will test it out some more when I get a chance to play again~

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

Lets hope not. That would be a real kick in the face to all of us.