Rocketry Upgrade Testing Branch Now Open! - [Game Update] - 282822

1 minute ago, _Q_ said:

Updates should hit at friday, I need to sleep to be able to get up to work, and with update its not possible.

Then you'd have to live with critical, game-crashing bugs all weekend.  Sleep deprived with a functional (more or less) beta branch or well rested with a game that constantly crashes until it's fixed sometime on Monday...you decide.  ;)

Neat update, I guess its now we're entering the final stages of the game.. which I find kind of sad.

Both glad and upset that they nerfed burning Petroleum this hard. In my opinion, Petroleum should be like boiling Polluted Water, a part of it turns into Steam, and the other into Polluted dirt. If boiled Petroleum turns part into usable Natural gas, and the rest into a 'smog' gas which has pretty poor thermal capacities and cannot be used for anything at all, except for being solidified or liquified I guess. Boiling Crude Oil should still be more efficient than using Petroleum Generators because of the extra effort you do.

This makes it so that you end up with an annoying side-product you have to deal with, worse than carbon dioxide and polluted water, so you have to throw it into space. 

We've been nerfed in terms of power in many ways now, no Fertilizer makers, no boiling oil, Nat-gas makers nerfed as a whole (But we have this Space Cow I guess), the Steam Turbine should be revamped so you dont have to use annoying amounts of cheese to make it work halfly. Because trust me, that is what people do. Or give us a High-temperature Pump or some sort of way to move Hot gas/liquid without using Airlocks to move the scalding gas around for reheating.

1 minute ago, trukogre said:

There will be zero backlash regarding the sieve/pwater change

Well, It is ironic that this change now requires one to use the sieve or other fixed output/input devices/critters to destroy heat since pH2O boiling was so effective at cooling the base. Also, it's been mentioned before above but I too dislike the apparent trend towards being given purpose built buildings for problems as opposed to encouraging the creation of large complex self designed machines that rely on physics properties of the world. It was the ability to make these that made me excited about ONI in the first place and what I've spent the majority of my time on in game. It is what makes ONI unique to my mind and differentiates it from games like factorio. That said, I enjoy the plasticity of the game with the regular updates and look forward to exploring this new patch :D 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, fredhp said:

"Water and Polluted Water now have the same SHC so that the water purifier won't magically cause a loss of energy"

it means 'Good bye old bases and water cooling designs!!! :(:( '... unless i toss hot steam to space.... (which can be a bad idea, but, if rockets can be used to bring ice or water from space... why not?? )

You quoted only part of that sentence, and are getting the wrong idea from the half sentence there.  the water purifier previously

1.  caused a magical loss of energy because pwater had greater SHC.  (this is no longer true)

2. caused a magical loss or gain of energy because it had a fixed temp output, depending on the input temp.  (This is still true.  )

So, old water cooling designs will still work, just not quite as effectively.

2 hours ago, BadlyBurned said:
  • Water and Polluted Water now have the same SHC so that the water purifier won't magically cause a loss of energy

What on earth is an SHC? I don't speak Science!!!

Whoa, whoa, whoa!  SHC = specific heat capacity, which right now is 6 on PH20 and only 4 on H2O.  How the heck are we supposed to keep our base cool without that?

1 minute ago, Pyrrus said:

Well, It is ironic that this change now requires one to use the sieve or other fixed output/input devices/critters to destroy heat since pH2O boiling was so effective at cooling the base. Also, it's been mentioned before above but I too dislike the apparent trend towards being given purpose built buildings for problems as opposed to encouraging the creation of large complex self designed machines that rely on physics properties of the world. It was the ability to make these that made me excited about ONI in the first place and what I've spent the majority of my time on in game. It is what makes ONI unique to my mind and differentiates it from games like factorio. That said, I enjoy the plasticity of the game with the regular updates and look forward to exploring this new patch :D 

You're not required to use the sieve or any other fixed output temp machines to cool the base, you could heat up petroleum and send it to rocket ships and/or pet gens, for example, neither of which is a fixed output temp machine.  Or one can exploit some of the variable building based output temp machines to cool your base.

oil to NG cracking was really OP, but Klei could balance these overpowered large complex machines instead of just nerfing them to the ground, which is what's actually happening.  Is oil to petroluem magma cracking still viable, though?

2 minutes ago, psusi said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa!  SHC = specific heat capacity, which right now is 6 on PH20 and only 4 on H2O.  How the heck are we supposed to keep our base cool without that?

Challenges are the spice of life!!!

Also.. searching "what does SHC stand for?" lead me to Spontaneous Human Combustion. Apparently google search doesnt prioritize this game LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, trukogre said:

You're not required to use the sieve or any other fixed output temp machines to cool the base, you could heat up petroleum and send it to rocket ships and/or pet gens, for example, neither of which is a fixed output temp machine.  Or one can exploit some of the variable building based output temp machines to cool your base.

How are you supposed to keep from overheating before you get exosuits and dig up oil?

1 minute ago, trukogre said:

Is oil to petroluem magma cracking still viable, though?

Should be, they didn't change that state transition. Though I expect they will add a use for sour gas at some point. A gas distillery or some such.

3 minutes ago, Pyrrus said:

Should be, they didn't change that state transition. Though I expect they will add a use for sour gas at some point. A gas distillery or some such.

Anyone tried condensing it and see what it turns into?

7 minutes ago, BadlyBurned said:

Challenges are the spice of life!!!

Also.. searching "what does SHC stand for?" lead me to Spontaneous Human Combustion. Apparently google search doesnt prioritize this game LOL

Well, that's also because specific heat capacity is always abbreviated as cp.  While I was able to figure out what SHC referred to, I've literally never seen it that way before.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, trukogre said:

You quoted only part of that sentence, and are getting the wrong idea from the half sentence there.  the water purifier previously

1.  caused a magical loss of energy because pwater had greater SHC.  (this is no longer true)

2. caused a magical loss or gain of energy because it had a fixed temp output, depending on the input temp.  (This is still true.  )

So, old water cooling designs will still work, just not quite as effectively.

My currents design will need to be reworked, but, ok.... ONI is like Kerbal space Program: there is always  some  way to solve a problem or to do something!!

17 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Petrol cookers was also more interesting and not quite as obviously OP.

I only built complex machinery to convert oil -> ng if the heat source was a volcano, and a steam turbine as part of NG cooling. I never try to convert oil to petrol, just to NG. I simply dislike petrol generator :( Now i will need to change it to cook to petrol - i think its just a matter of changing some sensors, and a way to effectively cool petrol before pumpit.....

In the bottom magma pool i just dropped oil until it runs out of magma, and, later, cool small quantities of NG  by using  doors and automation. "Almost infinite" energy this way.

Edited by fredhp

3 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Anyone tried condensing it and see what it turns into?

Will be the first think that i will do tonight! (Thank god  - and klei - for Debug mode! )

(Naphta? Wont do it anymore...... :( )

Edited by fredhp
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, AzeTheGreat said:

Nope, it goes back to sour gas now.

Ah crap. I guess I'll be trying to convert my own oil cooker currently in the works, into a steam turbine set up.

Honestly, I don't want to be too critical, but oil boilers are very difficult to build. Bit of a dirty move from Klei to just nulify that. They could have simply reduced the convert ratio.

Edited by ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy
  • Like 1

Just now, fredhp said:

So.... until it changes..... the only thing to do is to send to space! :p

Lets wait! I certain klei will give something to us to do with naphtha or sour gas!

I'm totally lost. I read the patch notes and most of the replies here. What on earth is sour gas and why has this whole NG thing been nerfed? I read through the notes twice, but I can't find any explanation.

I'd appreciate any help understanding this... please write your answers as if the person reading it barely passed grade 9 Science 101.

Toosmall.thumb.png.fed22dd29f0604189261125bf8adcf88.png

I think they didn't take the size of bunker doors into account when designing rockets :p

The new critter (gas moo) converts the new plant (gas plant) into natural gas. And the new plant grows in 4 cycles using 500g chlorine per cycle. I guess chlorine geyser will be gold now.

3 minutes ago, BadlyBurned said:

I'm totally lost. I read the patch notes and most of the replies here. What on earth is sour gas and why has this whole NG thing been nerfed? I read through the notes twice, but I can't find any explanation.

I'd appreciate any help understanding this... please write your answers as if the person reading it barely passed grade 9 Science 101.

Oil transforms to petroleum when heated.

Petroleum transforms into Sour Gas when heated in RU (new gas)

When cooled, Sour Gas turn into Naphta now. So no way to get NG with cooking. Only via the oil refinery.

2 hours ago, AzeTheGreat said:

DTU/s - I'd rather see energy conservation improved than switching to a nonsensical heat unit (unless I just can't find it anywhere...).  This will just confuse new players even more.

One of the first things I noticed as I started a new colony, I decided to make a feedback thread about that very topic right away:

Edited by Sevio
  • Like 2