Rocketry Upgrade Testing Branch Now Open! - [Game Update] - 282822

• Developer

RocketryTesting.gif

Hello everyone,

Since breaking through the surface of the asteroid our Duplicants have developed a curiosity for the endless cosmos that exists outside their little space rock. That’s right, the Duplicants have begun developing their very own space program!

Soon they’ll be able to build massive rockets, train as astronauts, and journey on missions into space to bring back the resources they find to the colony.

If you're interested, you can help us test this new content on the Rocketry Upgrade testing branch. These features are still being developed so please expect bugs, interface issues, and imperfect balance. We do, however, encourage you to comment on the game as you're currently experiencing it, as we'll be considering your feedback while we further develop the update.

We look forward to reading your thoughts and opinions on the Suggestions Forum.

Thank-you!

What does this testing branch contain so far?

The following content is available in the testing branch:

Spoiler

Content:

• Modular rocket parts which can be assembled in a variety of ways

• A new UI screen for interacting with your fleet of rockets and their missions

• New buildings to support rocket-related research and development

• A new critter and plant which can be brought back from space

• Several new Codex entries to unlock over multiple playthroughs

• New elements which affect Steel and Natural Gas production

• Buildings for gas bottling and emptying

• A new "No Sweat" game mode has been added to tailor your experience to your preferred playstyle. The previously available game mode is now called "Survival".

Check the patch notes for the most up-to-date changes!

What is open testing?

"Open testing" means players get to test-drive new content early and give us feedback and suggestions before it goes live. Because this is an unfinished and in active development version of the upgrade being released on September 6th, it's pretty likely you'll encounter bugs, crashes or balance issues while playing these builds. We'll try to fix any problems that crop up as quickly as we can, but it's possible you'll lose progress in your games while playing on the Testing branch.

Regarding performance, the Testing branch has additional debugging tools enabled to help us track down crashes. This makes the game run more slowly than the live version of the game.

Please also be aware that once a save is loaded in the Testing branch, it cannot be reopened again in the previous Live branch or previous builds.

What do I do if I find a crash or a bug?

Post it up on the Bug Tracker and we'll fix it as soon as we can. If you can attach a copy of your save file to your report, that helps us even more as we can pinpoint the source of problem more quickly.

Do I have to play the open testing build?

Nope! If you'd prefer to only play a stable build, you can continue to play in the current Early Access branch until the Rocketry Upgrade releases in full on September 6th. Playing the Open Testing build isn't necessary, but it helps us a lot to receive your feedback and reports - if you're interested, try it out!

How do I become an open tester?

There's no sign up or registration for becoming an open tester. If you own Oxygen Not Included and want to join the Testing Branch, all you have to do is play the Open Testing build on Steam.

How do I play the open testing build?

You can switch your branch on Steam using the instructions below:

Spoiler

How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)

• In Steam, click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Oxygen Not Included.
  • Right-click and select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • In the dropdown, select the name of the branch you want to play. In this case, the branch name is "rocketry_upgrade_testing"
    • This branch does not require a password.
  • In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
  • Your game will be updated to the the previous branch.
  • Launch and play Oxygen Not Included

That's it! We hope you'll enjoy this taste of what's to come, and thank-you for your help testing out the new Upgrade!

View full update

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

AHHHHH!!!!!! :D

Seriously, I'm having a heart attack!! Way better than I ever thought!!!!!! I don't remember anyone suggesting something like this, its totally out of left field. I really thought you guys might just make a "reset planet" endgame like with Don't Starve. This is sooooooo much better.

At the very most I thought space flight would be an endgame to "escape the planet".. not something to renew the map of resources needed and unique things you can't get elsewhere.

You guys are amazing!!

Also:

• Water and Polluted Water now have the same SHC so that the water purifier won't magically cause a loss of energy

What on earth is an SHC? I don't speak Science!!!

• Plants will now sleep at night.

You trolling us? lol

Someone please post a pic of the Gassy Moo and the new plant... I can't find anything and I don't want to die before I get home. Please and thank you.

Edited by BadlyBurned
  • Like 2

Soon they’ll be able to build massive rockets, train as astronauts, and journey on missions into space to bring back the resources they find to the colony.

HELL YA! The EVERYTHING IS RENEWABLE UPDATE. Thanks Klei!!!

Edited by Fraxotic

18 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

ROCKETS! 

...I wonder if this is what all those people were clambering for rockets meant.

Depends... there are a lot of ways to do rockets. For example one-dupe-crew rockets that simply go somewhere and return with resources or a multiple-crew rockets that open up a new asteroid-map which you can mine&build like you starting one, just smaller, mazes like maps that you need to navigate to retrieve resources, rocket minigames on 'space-map' e t c. So each person might have meant their own way.

Edited by AndreyKl
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AndreyKl said:

Depends... there are a lot of ways to do rockets. For example one-dupe-crew rockets that simply go somewhere and return with resources or a multiple-crew rockets that open up a new asteroid-map which you can mine&build like you starting one, just smaller, mazes like maps that you need to navigate to retrieve resources, rocket minigames on 'space-map' e t c. So each person might have meant their own way.

It would be amazing if this turned out to eventually be some kind of online or multiplayer setup.. like trading resources with buddies online somehow using our fleets. But I don't want to get my hopes up.. also.. I have no friends who play this. They call me NERD and play Wow or whatever.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, tzionut said:

I am curios what is different in No Sweat  mode

The rest is water under the bridge like the expression upgrade.

At work so can't check,  but I'm assuming that no sweat is the new term for sandbox

My thoughts so far:

Gas Reservoir - What's the point?  21 tiles to store 150kg.  That's worse than a high pressure gas vent.

Liquid Reservoir - A bit better, 6 tiles for 5t of storage.  I'd really at least like to see some kind of compressor to increase these and make them better than natural storage.  Or maybe link capacity with material strength.

DTU/s - I'd rather see energy conservation improved than switching to a nonsensical heat unit (unless I just can't find it anywhere...).  This will just confuse new players even more.

Gas Bottler and Emptier - A welcome addition that makes the game more complete.

Petrloeum -> Sour Gas - Boiling oil was definitely overpowered, but I'd really like to see large contraptions that interact like that encouraged, rather than being discouraged or completely broken.

Rocketry seems interesting.  We'll see how much depth it adds to the game...

Edited by AzeTheGreat

12 minutes ago, tzionut said:

I am curios what is different in No Sweat  mode

The rest is water under the bridge like the expression upgrade.

It looks like a new preset game setting. Not sure if it changes anything with world gen tho

"No Sweat" vs "Survival"

20180823142028_1.jpg

20180823142017_1.jpg

Edited by Fraxotic

12 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Awesome... now does anyone know what this means?

"Water and Polluted Water now have the same SHC so that the water purifier won't magically cause a loss of energy"

Does this mean that there is no fixed temp output on the water sieve anymore? I assume the purifier is the sieve.

2 minutes ago, BadlyBurned said:

Awesome... now does anyone know what this means?

"Water and Polluted Water now have the same SHC so that the water purifier won't magically cause a loss of energy"

Does this mean that there is no fixed temp output on the water sieve anymore? I assume the purifier is the sieve.

Specific Heat Capacity, so this means that polluted water as a whole is now on the same level for cooling as water.

Edit: Which means that not only is the water sieve nerfed, but polluted water as a whole is nerfed.

Edited by watermelen671

2 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Specific Heat Capacity, so this means that polluted water as a whole is now on the same level for cooling as water.

Edit: Which means that not only is the water sieve nerfed, but polluted water as a whole is nerfed.

Ohhh,, ok.. I get how they are the same now, but how would that nerf the water sieve? Have they actually changed the fixed temp or do you just mean that there is less reason to keep PW for any reason? (mind as well convert it unless you need some for plants)

Just now, BadlyBurned said:

Ohhh,, ok.. I get how they are the same now, but how would that nerf the water sieve? Have they actually changed the fixed temp or do you just mean that there is less reason to keep PW for any reason? (mind as well convert it unless you need some for plants)

I'm...not entirely sure. Okay, lemme level with ya. I have 0 idea what I'm talking about when it comes to all of the sciencey stuff that you see people going on about here.

• Haha 1