Place your bets on the next update

My bet: Light and Shadow Upgrade

As we now can make nightshifts with the schedule, I think it's time to get some light mechanics except only for the growth of bristle blossoms and decoration. I could imagine these mechanics/features:

• Night becomes longer and darker (at the beginning 6 hours, later up to 16 hours, then slowly back to 6 hours)
  • Dupes will gain a little stress when in the dark
  • New traits: Dupe likes to work in the dark / at night (morale bonus, stress decreasing), Dupes are afraid in the dark (more Stress)
  • New lamps:
    - LED lamps (needs much less energy, don't heat up
    - long flat overhead lamps (maybe placed in the bottom of tiles)
    - night lamps for scared Dupes
    - small solar lamps for paths
    - Shinebug lamp/cage/bottle :D
  • New critter (only active in the dark, maybe a flying one like a bat or an owl)
  • A nightclub (room, bar building for mixing drinks, Jukebot required ;))

I really want for combustion to be implemented. So that you can get fires and explosions when O2 and flammables are in proximity and too hot. This would expand the factory design possibilities significantly :D

12 hours ago, Queron81 said:

New critter (only active in the dark, maybe a flying one like a bat or an owl)

Haunts?

image.png.6b25d63bd7543ee9bb3c2a42b0a0f2d7.png

TBH I would LOVE to see an upgrade that incorporates light mechanics.

Spoiler

nuit.png.7a6078c468502d0931ecf4de79b95a16.png

Although this was a bug, I'm pretty sure everybody agreed that it looked really cool. I'd love to see this incorporated as what night would look like. 

I'm not sure if we're tidally locked, but it appears we're not because there is a night period in the game. So if that were the case then how are we orbiting our star? Is our orbit tilted, like the Earth? If so then we should have seasons, as well as varying lengths of day/night. 

To further add on to that, maybe there can be an upgrade to the dupe's multi-tools: a flashlight. (I know I know.) But! Dupes could work in the dark at night, but they'd gain a massive amount of stress, and be more prone to Haunts. Haunts would spook the dupes, making them more jumpy, and making them take longer to complete tasks. Eventually if spooked enough, the dupe will drop everything they're doing, and run away to the nearest source of light. (Maybe with an added scream that'll disrupt all nearby dupes, and raise their spooked levels.)

Adding a flashlight module onto the dupes' multi-tool will allow them to see, drastically reduce the stress gained, and will disperse Haunts.

Spoiler

Thinking about this more...I should probably elaborate on what would be used to make the upgraded multi-tool.

Now I suppose there could be an option to sacrifice shine bugs to make it, à la fireflies to make a miner hat in Don't Starve...but if you're not a complete monster I suppose they could also introduce a new glowing plant, à la glowberries/lightbulbs in Don't Starve.

There's an unused asset in the files, a Heatbulb, which produces both light and heat. I suppose the devs could make it so that it can act as an anti-wheezeworth as a plant, but if dug up, it'd bear a lightbulb/seed.

I think the miner roles, since they already have lights on their hats, shouldn't need to have a flashlight. However since that seems a little OP, I suppose they could make it that you either have to add fuel to the hat, or only Senior miners have lights on their hats.

For the hard core players, I suppose they could make a mode like the "Lights Out" world gen option in Don't Starve: Permanently dark until you breach the surface, then all the sunlight that manages to break through the asteroid will act as a light source as normal. (Day/Night Cycle)

Also, any elements with the tag "light emitter" will now emit light as well, albeit to varying degrees depending on what said element is.

12 hours ago, Pyrrus said:

I really want for combustion to be implemented. So that you can get fires and explosions when O2 and flammables are in proximity and too hot. This would expand the factory design possibilities significantly :D

From what I can tell from digging through the files, there seems to be nothing new that way. In fact, many things lending to that seem to have been removed, the idea possibly scrapped in its entirety.

3 hours ago, blash365 said:

Doctors!

I definitely feel that the game need doctors. Right now, the kindness stat just seems kinda... meh. But I think we need more dangers before the doctors can really reach their full potential. Like, actually making the toxic gasses toxic. It is just a smidge unrealistic to have dupes running around happily in chlorine gas.

9 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

Haunts?

image.png.6b25d63bd7543ee9bb3c2a42b0a0f2d7.png

TBH I would LOVE to see an upgrade that incorporates light mechanics.

That reads like something out of Don't Starve.  Was the artwork for this repurposed for the Slickster, or is this something that still has a shot at making it into the game?

I hope they go back and fix some of the mechanics that are broken or don't work very well:

• steam turbine (nice for heat deletion but bad for power)
  • solar panels (somewhat useless without using exploits or odd mechanics)
  • performance of fridges (clicking on one full of sleet wheat grains kills performance)

1 hour ago, R9MX4 said:

Socialize-->Make friends-->Fall in love-->Get married-->Make kiDivorce!!

Some good ideas. Don't forget the pets and the baby's changing table for the toddlers and a "grooming station" for the toddlers. :D A PC Station to share all the senseless stuff via Facebook or twitter were also be nice. I feel it, it will be a great update! :D

- Bring the old/announce visual back!!! or a way to change visual between old/announce and new

- add fungi and its use since it's in slime, so... Algae Distiller: x(g) slime --> y(g) algae *nerfed ABIT + z(g) fungi *small amount just like hydrogen from electrolyzer or even smaller something as effect

- small rework for algae terrarium (may be add fungi lol)

- add New Sweepers (build by an architect dupe + a dupe job needed to upgrade it, example: miner sweeper need architect to build and miner to upgrade)

well that a lot already for me

I would hope for a plain ol’ Industrial Upgrade, adding machines and more things for lategame. Perhaps Radiation from the currently unused Radium ”Power-source”, while we’re at it. Maybe we could make Cement for a fast-to-walk-on-tile, but rather ugly in turn.

After that I’d like to see a simple ’Bits and Bite Upgrade’ which just expands current system like Jobs or Disease, either by rebalancing them or adding more content to them. So many mechanics added but they have yet not fully utilized them in my opinion. While we’re at it, they can fix bugs in that update.

2 hours ago, Alfons100 said:

I would hope for a plain ol’ Industrial Upgrade, adding machines and more things for lategame. Perhaps Radiation from the currently unused Radium ”Power-source”, while we’re at it. Maybe we could make Cement for a fast-to-walk-on-tile, but rather ugly in turn.

After that I’d like to see a simple ’Bits and Bite Upgrade’ which just expands current system like Jobs or Disease, either by rebalancing them or adding more content to them. So many mechanics added but they have yet not fully utilized them in my opinion. While we’re at it, they can fix bugs in that update.

Don't count on late game content, most people those days don't even finish games, so adding late game content is not desired, cause almost no one will see it anyway.

30 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

I don't care about "most people"..

But data collection can't lie, if they have data that 60% of players ends playing on cycle 150, then don't count on content that will be later on cycle 200 and further.

Modern times, thanks to data collection they can save tons of money and time that would otherwise get wasted on adding something that only few % of players would even notice.

2 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

But data collection can't lie, if they have data that 60% of players ends playing on cycle 150, then don't count on content that will be later on cycle 200 and further.

Modern times, thanks to data collection they can save tons of money and time that would otherwise get wasted on adding something that only few % of players would even notice.

That didn`t stop them from adding 2 layers of underground in Don`t Starve. Non of those are needed to beat the game and you can have a fun time without ever going there. Actually i discovered that there`s a second layer of underground after reading a wiki when searched for food recipies.

Most people might just scratch the surface of the game and stop playing it after 2-3 hours. It`s the true fans that will play the game for thousand`s of hours. The lategame content is meant to give them replayability potential and some hard to get stuff that`s both challenging and rewarding.

5 hours ago, _Q_ said:

Maybe they stop playing at this point because they don't see that they will see anything new? Or because the game don't have a goal? This game is still in Early Access and still far away from a finished version, so the data collection isn't very interesting at this point. 150 cycles are enough to explore and experiment with the new contents every 6 weeks.

Archived