ResettePlayer    3,165

Holy moly oh cannoli. These are amazing! You did a spectacularly at capturing the characters in a 3D medium, both in clay and felt. Fantastic job, I look forward to seeing any future projects of yours!

• Like 1

MinniBat    179
13 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Holy moly oh cannoli. These are amazing! You did a spectacularly at capturing the characters in a 3D medium, both in clay and felt. Fantastic job, I look forward to seeing any future projects of yours!

Thank you! I always strive to make my stuff look like it would if the character came to life. I always love hearing it's working :D

• Like 1

Auspice    682

Welcome to the art forums! Wow, your sculptures and plushes (plushies?) are so well done. It takes me ages to get clay to cooperate and, while it usually turns out alright, it doesn't turn out the way I saw it in my head. 

I love the details in your doodles, they look great! 

• Like 1

gallusvarius    919

This stuff is really cool! The plushies and the drawings both.
I can see you're another fan of Wes. He's a likable character. 

The knight chess sculpture is really impressive.

• Like 1

minespatch    49,783
On 8/14/2018 at 11:26 PM, MinniBat said:
  1. I'tumblr_oez24vXWLk1vo94u1o3_400.giftumblr_oez24vXWLk1vo94u1o5_400.jpg
  2. tumblr_oe6pwpf1Lb1v69tvao1_1280.jpgtumblr_oe6pwpf1Lb1v69tvao2_1280.jpg
  3. tumblr_pdhfy7xxwd1vo94u1o3_1280.jpgtumblr_pdhfy7xxwd1vo94u1o5_1280.jpg
  4. tumblr_pdhfy7xxwd1vo94u1o1_1280.png
  5. tumblr_pdhfy7xxwd1vo94u1o10_1280.png
  1. Good luck on finishing that project, it looks like a complex project
  2. The mouth looks like my cat Gizmo when she's ready to hiss.:wilson_sneaky:
  3. Man! Those two look very time intensive and put with a lot of love into them. Nice! The color palettes also contrast with colder colors on the left one and warmer on the right.
  4. The lighting fascinates me on this one. Wes given a dramatic lighting similar to how film noir executes.
  5. Has a Gravity Falls type aesthetic but is definitely your work. There's a nice balance in this art.
  • Like 1

ResettePlayer    3,165
5 hours ago, MinniBat said:

The faces are held in place by magnets, and I also put teensy tiny magnets in the eyes so the plastic/ resin shades I made stay on too.

Clever! Even though I'm not a huge fan of sculpting myself, whenever I see your work, it really makes me want to try. You're inspirational, in other words. Of course, I know you only got this good through years of practice! It certainly has paid off.

• Like 1

MinniBat    179
14 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Clever! Even though I'm not a huge fan of sculpting myself, whenever I see your work, it really makes me want to try. You're inspirational, in other words. Of course, I know you only got this good through years of practice! It certainly has paid off.

Thank you so much! But yes, It's taken me years and I still hold myself to a very high standard despite being self-taught. But what got ME into most of the crafting I wanted to do was seeing what other people make too, so no shame in that! There are often even crafts that I used to do but dropped and got back into after seeing how people use them. Hate to sound like That Girl but sites like Pinterest can really be inspiring, especially if you're into stuff like sculpting and miniatures! Lots of ideas you'd never think of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

minespatch    49,783

That bottom right face is really terrifying. You really got those faces done! Are you planning on doing other figures with interchangeable faces?

The whole face changing reminds me of Nightmare Before Christmas. Behind the scenes, animators shifted faces for both Jack and Sally.

• Like 1

MinniBat    179
1 hour ago, minespatch said:

That bottom right face is really terrifying. You really got those faces done! Are you planning on doing other figures with interchangeable faces?

The whole face changing reminds me of Nightmare Before Christmas. Behind the scenes, animators shifted faces for both Jack and Sally.

Yes! Not Don't Starve related, but I recently got the Genji and Hanzo nendoroids.

fgdhfjhfd.thumb.png.567c97b2e609af98f7f31de61c210c76.png

tumblr_pgd0xeyDDJ1u3kfat_540.thumb.jpg.d93023011db8572c0701f15f910d7d7b.jpgtumblr_pgqbsgJqcg1u3kfat_540.jpg.88eff3c5e2407d9a2864f8ffaa5e2566.jpgtumblr_ph4923OplW1u3kfat_540.jpg.a81a485dbaf6f99c86f34382891818a2.jpg

( it's an old pic but there's a sneak peak of a DS project in there! )

Nendoroids typically come with three interchangeable faces, but Hanzo came with only two, and Genji just has one solid head piece. I used a similar method ( both with interlocking clay parts rather than magnets, though this is tricky so I may change that ), and cut the front of Genji's head off and adjusted the separate parts as needed, so I now have the original head piece and a human face ( though I'm still fixing up the paint job before adding scars )! Hanzo I only picked up a few days ago but I definitely also wanna make a wider range for him than he came with. I plan to make several more for both.

There are some New Year miniatures I wanted to make to go with them including an osechi and some kadomatsu they have sprays showing in the game, so I'd like to see if it would be possible to make them tiny kimono that aren't too ill-fitting ( small scale can make a fabric seem super bulky ), if not I may even try making extra bodies for them as such. I also have a D.va which I plan to keep but make more stuff for, but I got a Mercy and Tracer for a good price too, but since I don't care too much for either character I'd like to repaint and sell them ( I'd also love to do some Hanzo and D.va ones! But I'd like to keep the original just to look at as well ). Just not sure which skins yet. Either way, being so small and with so many neat little parts, they're a wonderful challenge as far as both repaints and miniature props.

I haven't gotten any more DS figure commissions recently and I haven't had any of my own to paint, plus I do charge a little more for an extra face, but I'd absolutely love doing more innovative stuff with the DS figs. I did make some simple molds of the zombie Wes I have to experiment with, so I'll try out a few new Wes ideas when I have some time. I mentioned wanting to play with LEDs with the clockwork above, maybe I'll see if I can stick some in one. Something dynamic to make up for the lack of articulation on them.

Face replacement is a huge component of stop motion animation! Laika ( Coraline, Boxtrolls, Paranorman, Kubo and the Two Strings ) actually has a system where their faces are split in two at the front, so they can mix and match different eyebrow and mouth pieces. I believe during Paranorman is when they actually started 3D printing the faces since there were so many- in Kubo there were over 48 million different facial combinations among the whole cast! It's grueling, but unparalleled work.

Sorry I drone on so much in some of these responses, I just really love miniatures and stop motion :D I often run into people who think they're neat but have no idea where to start with them.

Edited by MinniBat
  • Like 3