150% efficiently Solar with no manual input.

Do u need the waste of the other generators (Nat-gas, Petroleum)?

Explanation:

Polluted water was earlier a thing (before a couple of updates), because there was no slush geyser or similar on the map.

Petroleum needs the dup's man power to create it (If u do it the normal way without boiling it)

Boiling the Petroleum to Nat Gas is a game breaker, if u think about it. U get more Nat-gas as with the normal way through the dup's (farting) or the oil well or the few buildings who produce little amounts of it or the geysers on the map. It is something about balance. The game is good and I enjoy it, but few things are not well balanced. Some buildings are simply useless if u boil the oil to Nat-gas. U never need them. That's criticism and the game needs it!

The solar panel stacking is a red towel for me personally. Why u should setup a petroleum gen circle, if u can simply stack the panels ? Because of the waste? Don't think so. A colony with 50 Dupe's maybe need the additional waste, but then, the game performance is under 10 FPS. Another problem, surprise.  Not playable anymore. It needs some balance, many parts of the game. I don't know why u are so aggressive.  The last sentence is already a hit into the face to the people, they just saying, it need a balance. Criticism do people who love a game! If u don't love it, u don't waste time to write in a forum, rather just leave the game and the forum alone. 

Maybe u are a sarcastically man, don't know. But i don't like how u discuss it. It destroy the base of a serious discussion. Maybe I wasted my time again and u write again a sarcastically text to blame all the people they took the game serious and criticize some parts of the game who need a redesign.

14 hours ago, TheOlz said:

And a similar setup, from last update, incorporating the steam gen into an oil boiler setup

You gave me a lesson with the temp shift plates, how you are using them to draw off heat from the NG, if I'm correct. A practical conspicuous use that makes sense to me, and better describes their purpose. I better understand them now, thanks!

One angle of this conversation that troubles me. While it may be exploity, in some sense. This game cannot accurately depict what happens in real life. We use rows and rows of solar panels to create a solar farm. The way they are being used implies to me that they are being stacked in 3 dimensions, but due to limitations of the game and it's mechanics, it is simply as it should be. Use what works, ah-men. I'm not for cheats and stuff. But, I'm not gonna break my neck over 'ethical' gameplay, with an incomplete game, a buggy game, a game that stipulates to still be in development. So, why would I waste precious hours of my life to appease forum purists? I won't, nor would I justify it to them.

5 hours ago, Slvrsrfr said:

is simply as it should be. Use what works, ah-men. I'm not for cheats and stuff. But, I'm not gonna break my neck over 'ethical' gameplay, with an incomplete game, a buggy game, a game that stipulates to still be in development. So, why would I waste precious hours of my life to appease forum purists? I won't, nor would I justify it to them.

We are also talking about a singleplayer, non-competitive game. There's no advantage/gain to using any mechanic, intended or not, that is in the game. There is no disadvantage/loss to anyone who sets their own limitations on what mechanics to use.

It's not like this is some esport game where abusing mechanics actually takes away from the nature of the game.

On 14/08/2018 at 12:08 PM, Yunru said:

Such as solar panels needing light, and being made of glass.

But because it's just an abstraction for a game, you can also go:

And glass is transparent, so so are the solar panels.

Not to mention that this is far into the future, who knows what their solar panels are like?

Just to be a ****, your last sentence might be wrong : if we're in a real-life physics situation , whatever future you imagine, you can't break the most basic laws of physics. If you absorb and convert the incoming light's energy once, you obviously can't gather and use it a second time, whatever material it is built from. And if solar panels were to be truly transparent, they wouldn't absorb any light, therefore not yielding any energy.

However, as many people said and I generally agree with them, you can't expect ONI to be a true simulation of our world's physics, mainly because it would be a true nightmare to play it (except for the temperature part, but since it is a game, it is meant to be enjoyable on every aspect), but also because it would require your computer to hundreds of times the raw computing power of the best high-end gaming machine available right now on the market just to compute a single tile's temperature. And I do not wish, and I guess many people also do, to spend a yearly income just to play a single game, even the great one that is ONI.

On 15/08/2018 at 3:44 AM, TLW said:

The general approach is (perhaps surprisingly) sound.

One common way of increasing the efficiency of solar cells is multi-junction solar cells... which are quite literally solar cells stacked on top of each other:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/StructureMJetspectre.png

Both from Wikipedia.

Borrowing your words, this is "quite literally" absolutely NOT "solar cells stacked on top of each other". Try stacking solar panels atop each other and tell me if it works like what you just claimed. No need to be a genius to realize that the result will be a long long long long long way from what you wanted us to expect. Either wikipedia lied to you, or maybe you didn't bother reading the article and tried to sound clever by pasting stuff you don't know anything about ?

On 8/14/2018 at 7:21 AM, TheOlz said:

And Oil Wells as the build item for auto dig means you don't need to do anything with dupe roles/door settings. The Oil Well can only ever be built on a reservoir, but they will always try to dig out the spot for it.

Excellent! I was looking for something like that. Thanks.

8 hours ago, qda said:

Just to be a ****, your last sentence might be wrong : if we're in a real-life physics situation , whatever future you imagine, you can't break the most basic laws of physics. If you absorb and convert the incoming light's energy once, you obviously can't gather and use it a second time, whatever material it is built from. And if solar panels were to be truly transparent, they wouldn't absorb any light, therefore not yielding any energy.

Sure you can! Something something, quantum something. :p

On 8/29/2018 at 4:11 AM, blash365 said:

@tranoze: Could you provide some information about the battery room? It seems to gather heat for me. How are you cooling it?

I legit gave it in the post. Pump polluted water to space, when it reach 120C it vaporize and disappear in space. The liquid shut off is connected with a liquid thermal sensor which detect when it close to freeze point and active if so. There for the water will never freeze.

The battery room is just a room with wall, and, has air in it so thermal can transfer between the cooling pipe and the batteries.

image.png.d91d8553920a07d4e8ee7b9b98f55c99.png

Stacking or not, really just effects how much effort it takes to set everything up.  Previously, I had mine stacked and had 52 solar gens to max out the heavy-watt wire.  Since the preview was patched to make them not stackable, I've switched to 35 non-stacked giving 13.3kW (36 would fit, but I needed areas for access to the top layer.

Regardless, my other generators don't need to run often (if at all).  Others have also mentioned, and I'll repeat based on my experience, that the panels need no cooling and can be built and left in vacuum (as long as you avoid allowing hot regolith/mafic rock to fall on them).  It would be nice if they added something to the space scanner to indicate it's area of scanning as setting up the scanner grid if far from intutive.  That took more trial and error than anything involving the panels themselves.

Archived