[Game Update] - 279046

12 hours ago, _Q_ said:

Showers are still decoration, and dupes still love to live in total darkness.

I mean, have you seen their reaction to light?

image.png.51b7485c924785a9aa7527519e66d67a.png

12 hours ago, WanderingKid said:

As to lights and showers, all dupes are bred with no sense of smell and bats for sonar.

They do have no noses.

• Haha 1

Just now, watermelen671 said:

I mean, have you seen their reaction to light?

image.png.51b7485c924785a9aa7527519e66d67a.png

They do have no noses.

The game i a bit lacking in the colony management part, even with the expressive upgrade, you can still ignore almost everything.

2 hours ago, _Q_ said:

The game i a bit lacking in the colony management part, even with the expressive upgrade, you can still ignore almost everything.

I was just making a joke about how dupes:

A) Have no noses

B) Look silly when caught in between blinking frames

Just now, watermelen671 said:

I was just making a joke about how dupes:

A) Have no noses

B) Look silly when caught in between blinking frames

And I'm stating there is very little colony management in game, and dupes are more of tools than colonist you need to take care of.

Current system that has only 2 stages - high/low proves that even more, you can just ignore morale till the very end, when you have the ability to provide everything, cause giving them a bit of something is not doing anything.

11 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

Current system that has only 2 stages - high/low proves that even more, you can just ignore morale till the very end, when you have the ability to provide everything, cause giving them a bit of something is not doing anything.

Keep in mind that even if the system shows always a binary result the requirements are not binary

(Dupes without training in high tier jobs can be satisfied without a recreation room)

1 minute ago, _Q_ said:

And I'm stating there is very little colony management in game, and dupes are more of tools than colonist you need to take care of.

Well, to be honest, the devs are currently in the midst of a very big struggle between having everything be automatable, and having something where you have to interact. 

Have it one way, people complain that there's no colony management in the game, have it the other and people complain that there's too much micro-management.

It's a very delicate balance, and I believe that the devs have a sort of scheme when it comes to the upgrades:

• Game Mechanic/QoL
  • Building/Expansion

Allow me to further elaborate:

Spoiler
  • Thermal Upgrade (Game Mechanic)

This upgrade introduced us to the fact that dupes are now capable of getting hypo/hyperthermia, buildings can now overheat/melt, this was the upgrade that made wires overload and pipes freeze.

• Agricultural Upgrade (Both)

This is a bit of a hybrid, because it introduced an advanced agricultural mechanic, however, over the course of development it's kinda been reduced to a husk of its former self. It also gave us buildings (iirc) like the fertilizer maker, clothing, etc

• Outbreak Upgrade (Mechanic)

Gave us germs

• Oil Ugrade (Expansion)

WE GOT OIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL!!! This upgrade gave us oil, slicksters, petroleum, plastic, more buildings, pump miniaturization, and Exosuits!

• Automation Upgrade (Mechanic)

Stuff can now be automated, just hook it up and it'll do the rest!

• Tubular Upgrade (Building)

This was the diet-upgrade that we got while the devs were away on the Holidays. We got tubes, what more needs to be said?

• Occupational Upgrade (Mechanic)

WE GOT JOBS! 

• Ranching Upgrade MKI (Expansion/Mechanic)

We got new geysers, critters can now reproduce, and dupes can now ranch!

• Ranching Upgrade MKII (Mechanic)

As the follow up to the MKI expansion, this further expands on the mechanic of Ranching; we got new critters (Drecko and Pacu), critters can now produce mutant offspring depending on their environment/conditions, and critters now age and die.

• Cosmic Upgrade (Expansion)

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!! What else needs to be said? We got space! WE DID IT BOYS!

• Expressive Upgrade (Mechanic)

Dupes have become self-aware, and now interact with each other. They also now need breaks (did they form a union?), and also have morale.

As you can see, the upgrades tend to follow a trend of Mechanic/QoL, then Building/Expansion. Repeat ad infinitum until the game is done.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Well, to be honest, the devs are currently in the midst of a very big struggle between having everything be automatable, and having something where you have to interact. 

Have it one way, people complain that there's no colony management in the game, have it the other and people complain that there's too much micro-management.

It's a very delicate balance, and I believe that the devs have a sort of scheme when it comes to the upgrades:

• Game Mechanic/QoL
  • Building/Expansion

Allow me to further elaborate:

Hide contents
  • Thermal Upgrade (Game Mechanic)

This upgrade introduced us to the fact that dupes are now capable of getting hypo/hyperthermia, buildings can now overheat/melt, this was the upgrade that made wires overload and pipes freeze.

• Agricultural Upgrade (Both)

This is a bit of a hybrid, because it introduced an advanced agricultural mechanic, however, over the course of development it's kinda been reduced to a husk of its former self. It also gave us buildings (iirc) like the fertilizer maker, clothing, etc

• Outbreak Upgrade (Mechanic)

Gave us germs

• Oil Ugrade (Expansion)

WE GOT OIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL!!! This upgrade gave us oil, slicksters, petroleum, plastic, more buildings, pump miniaturization, and Exosuits!

• Automation Upgrade (Mechanic)

Stuff can now be automated, just hook it up and it'll do the rest!

• Tubular Upgrade (Building)

This was the diet-upgrade that we got while the devs were away on the Holidays. We got tubes, what more needs to be said?

• Occupational Upgrade (Mechanic)

WE GOT JOBS! 

• Ranching Upgrade MKI (Expansion/Mechanic)

We got new geysers, critters can now reproduce, and dupes can now ranch!

• Ranching Upgrade MKII (Mechanic)

As the follow up to the MKI expansion, this further expands on the mechanic of Ranching; we got new critters (Drecko and Pacu), critters can now produce mutant offspring depending on their environment/conditions, and critters now age and die.

• Cosmic Upgrade (Expansion)

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!! What else needs to be said? We got space! WE DID IT BOYS!

• Expressive Upgrade (Mechanic)

Dupes have become self-aware, and now interact with each other. They also now need breaks (did they form a union?), and also have morale.

As you can see, the upgrades tend to follow a trend of Mechanic/QoL, then Building/Expansion. Repeat ad infinitum until the game is done.

Seriously if I just want to build most effective systems possible I have:

Factorio

SpaceChem

Opus Magnum

annnnnd many more incoming

I want full fledged space colony management game. Guess I will finally have to bow down and get RimWorld, where colonist actually matter and are not just the digging/building tools.