Screen Name Stories

DragonMage156

Since the devs asked, mine as well create this thread >u<

So the story behind DragonMage156 comes from 2011 (according to this other site I posted this story. I don't remember that well). I got this cool dragon calendar and one of the pictured was called Dragon Mage. I used to reference myself to that drawing cos I loved dragons (as you know) and I didn't have a persona at the time :p

As for the 156, I think that was more related to Spore. It was originally gonna be 155 (I was 15, almost 16 at the time. Not sure how I decided on a three digit number) but I decided to change it to 156 cos it looked cooler and it was closer to my birthday (I think).

I don't think anyone in Spore was called DragonMage155 but I was lucky to have claimed what my name is today >u<

---

Feel free to share some of your own screen name lore! I'm interested to hear it ^_^

When I was a tiny child, I was possessed by demons (most children are). Like many agents of chaos toddling around, I was compelled to press any button I saw. Back in those days, most PCs were white(ish), and ours had a large green button as the "reset" button. I pressed that thing all the time, especially when my family was trying to use the computer.

I don't remember this myself. It's a story I've heard many times from my older siblings, and apparently I was nicknamed "Reset" for a while.

One day, for reasons I cannot recall, I combined "Reset" with "cassette player", and lo, a username. So far I don't hate it.

Oh this is fun! My story is quite bland though. Geni0529 is just my nickname, Geni, and 0529 is my birthday, May 29th! 

The username I’m using for most of my other accounts though are Bleebtheweeb, which came about by me not wanting anyone that knows me by Geni0529 to find the accounts. I kinda got less insecure and I’m fine with people finding the accounts now. 

Neopets!  Oh god, I remember that.  Well technically I think they're still around, and since your pets DON'T have to worry about actually dying if they're starving, mine are probably still there too...at, wow, what is it, like 11 years old now?  More?  I never really got into the community aspect of the site (which is just as well, as apparently it's rather toxic) I just played the games, did the pet-raising, occasionally put rare things I liked into my little collection...I miss some of the games there.  Some you can still play in "archive" form though. 

ANYway.  Never would've guessed "Minespatch" came from that specifically.  Huh.  And you're right about the numbers.  The SECOND I have to put numbers in for my username, I instantly choose another one.  Just...no.  Dun wanna.  It may take me a really long time to find a pop-culture reference I like that isn't taken at all, or I might have to use a character name from one of my old stories that nobody but me and my family knows, but I'll get a numberless name eventually!  (shakes fist at the heavens).  Or deliberately put on a number I like, that's acceptable in a pinch.  I've got some that are "somethingsomething42".  Because of course 42*.  :D

My own username, right, right...I've told this story before, but I'm not sure about here.  Short answer:  It's from Star Trek:  Voyager...kinda.  Read on for the full story if you want, turn back if not.

Spoiler

Well, one time when my family was sitting around the TV together (people used to do that--and at the time the show originally came on, too!) watching a new episode of Star Trek.  It was one of the episodes where Tom Paris was doing his adorable "CAPTAIN....PROTON!!" holodeck program, which I absolutely love 'cos I'm an MST3K fan and I love all the cheesy black-and-white sci fi movies from the '50s and whatever with the obviously carboard-painted-silver rocketships and all that.  Love that stuff.  So fun.

So, the commercials come on, and I'm sitting there trying to finish up my babbly sentence about the show before it comes back, and I accidentally mixed up the names of the hero and the _villain_ from the holodeck program:  CAPTAIN Proton and Doctor CHAOTICA.

...caught myself, "Whoops", everyone laughed, show came back from commercial, we stopped talking mostly.  But I was at the time legit in the market for a new Internet name, since my old one wasn't working out for some reason (I think it was too close to somebody else's on the main forum I visited, and I didn't know that when I picked it) so my brain's wheels were turning...

And a couple of days later, Captain Chaotica!! (originally written with the exclamation points like that : P) as my new online name was born.  It's B-movieish.  It's sci-fi in general, and shows that I'm a Trekkie if you happen to know the reference.  It's comic-bookish.  It fits my general nerdy personality, and that's why I've used it for so long.  :)

...Notorious

*Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for those who don't know.  Look up the books or the old TV BBC minseries from 1980, maybe the radioplay/audiobooks--AVOID.  THE MOVIE.  Well I suppose the movie isn't that bad for those who don't _know_ how badly messed up it is, but...yeah.  Save yourself time and look up the good versions.

Archived