Auspice's Art

11 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

Wow! I definitely noticed the 3-D effect. Especially in addition to the dramatic shading, this is really amazing.

That is good. Thank you!

11 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

There definitely something very plausible about his face, like. I feel like I could reach out and touch it. Granted, I don't imagine he'd be pleased if I did, probably give me a look of disdain.
But maybe that's exactly what would make it worth it to poke him... 

> WHAT WILL YOU DO? 
POKE HIM
DO NOT

> POKE HIM
DO NOT

what_have_you_done_by_frygia-dcif4yq.jpg

I imagine he'd be shocked at the nerve.

Edit: Curses! I forgot his monocle! The best part! (or one of them at least)

8 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Is this Shadow Wilson or Charlie? 

It's a sort of fusion between Wilson's Shadow and Victorian skins, with my own twist to it.

Edited by Auspice
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

36 minutes ago, Auspice said:

I imagine he'd be shocked at the nerve.

Heh heh. It's even more funny with how much motion this seems to have, with his shocked expression - It looks like they just dived in there from nowhere to poke him suddenly when he least expected it. 

• Like 1

I'm on a(n art) roll these days
I spent a months without drawing anything, and since starting to draw for Don't Starve, I've feel like I've been drawing every day

shaded_by_frygia-dcig3b3.jpg

I actually like Wes a decent bit. Though I've never played him outside of Gorge. I feel like I'd die. Well, faster. And/or more frequently.

Would you believe me if I said this was meant to be a combination of Wes's Shadow and Victorian skin?  

I really seem to have a thing for dramatic profiles.

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, Auspice said:

I actually like Wes a decent bit. Though I've never played him outside of Gorge. I feel like I'd die. Well, faster. And/or more frequently.

I like Wes too. I actually play him more regularly. Outside of the characters I play for survival, he's right up next. Probably why he ends up being drawn, just like those more common characters of mine. (Walani for example.) 

49 minutes ago, Auspice said:

Would you believe me if I said this was meant to be a combination of Wes's Shadow and Victorian skin?

I noticed you tried, it's very interesting. However, with those two skins being amazingly different, it probably would have been hard. It seems you've captured more of his shadow side, but the face really looks like his and, indeed, the dramatic profile is aesthetically pleasing. 

50 minutes ago, Auspice said:

I spent a months without drawing anything, and since starting to draw for Don't Starve, I've feel like I've been drawing every day

Glad it helped someone in the way it seemed to help me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

I like Wes too. I actually play him more regularly. Outside of the characters I play for survival, he's right up next. Probably why he ends up being drawn, just like those more common characters of mine. (Walani for example.)

I see... I haven't been playing for long, but I've played Wilson the most (surely you never would have guessed), a decent amount of Webber before I started getting into the lore/story, one round in Shipwrecked as Wendy, and a bit of Walani and Warly. 

I want to try out the other characters, but I'm still having trouble surviving a whole year, so I'd like to get more familiar with the game first.

8 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

I noticed you tried, it's very interesting. However, with those two skins being amazingly different, it probably would have been hard. It seems you've captured more of his shadow side, but the face really looks like his and, indeed, the dramatic profile is aesthetically pleasing. 

Thank you! I admit, it was odd to try to fuse two skins with starkly different tones. Yeah, I ended up entirely favoring the triumphant side. I'm biased. No regrets. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Auspice said:

I see... I haven't been playing for long........I want to try out the other characters, but I'm still having trouble surviving a whole year, so I'd like to get more familiar with the game first.

Ahh, interesting. 
I know what you mean, I think. Though, you might be surprised. Certain characters, like Wigfrid for example, can have amazingly different playstyles.
My first real attempts at the game  that i did without help were Shipwrecked, mostly with Webber. I had been introduced to the game with Wigfrid, who I now 'main,' but after being introduced via her I leaned more towards webber after that. I never played the normal game except in DST, after a first failed attempt with Wilson. Though there were a few times I cheesed the world settings and played around as Webber. 

After a while of me and my DST friends constantly dying, I went into the normal mode to try and survive and figure things out, as Wigfrid, and survived. The world still exists, more than an in-game year old, and I stopped playing on it because I had better worlds eventually, but I basically didn't die. 
Wigfrid was the one I used doing this, it seems to have made that much of a difference. Ever since, she's been my 'comfort zone' for most things, though I actually use Walani more for Shipwrecked these days. Walani and Wigfrid have so, so very different stats though, so it's interesting to have experiance with that variety.

Bah, I rambled again.
If I were you, I'd keep trying out the characters, you never know when one will be just right - Even if the world itself may still be confusing. But each character works differently, so understanding the game is complicated, as it must be understood through the lens of each character.

Even if one seems familiar right now, you never know how you might feel about another.
Also, Webber seems to be pretty good for SW, he can bring spiders to whatever island he pleases. 

3 hours ago, Auspice said:

Yeah, I ended up entirely favoring the triumphant side. I'm biased. No regrets. 

Yeah, his Gorge skin... Well, Cookie (She's my sister, here on the forums, that's why I keep mentioning her.) says he looks bald-ish. Or like he's loosing hair. I told her it was because he was using his hair as a chimney brush - See, his hair is the same shape as his brush... 

Perhaps, though. If we could merge the two ideas. Of 'evil/scary/whatever it is that triumphant Wes is,' plus 'Soot and ashes from the chimney,' maybe we can get some kind of scary chimney creeper?? Like, if we kept the glasses and the bandana/scarf/combined the two into a red ragged bandana, kept the vest and made it black instead of tan, supposedly some kind of leather, and maybe the glasses but have them black for cause of soot instead... If we give him his usual shadow-hair but just make it a bit more scruffy to honor the chimney-sweeping... Keep the ashy face, perhaps... We could make the Monster under the bed Hiding in the Chimney or something? Not really a 'monster' per say but, like, 
"Moooom, our chimney sweep is weird this time..." 

Not sure if it's an appealing idea, but it might be a way to merge the two. I do understand your choice to favor the triumphant skin, entirely understandable. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

Bah, I rambled again.

It is helpful information. 

That's interesting... perhaps I'll try out more characters as I'm figuring out the game, then. Exploring different playstyles!

"Moooom, our chimney sweep is weird this time..." 

I tried.

d2024c96_0f2e_4b68_913b_01adf5b19150_by_

.... I would be pretty shook if he showed up to sweep my chimney.

I feel odd about this. I feel like I've tried to mix oil and water.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Auspice said:

I tried.

d2024c96_0f2e_4b68_913b_01adf5b19150_by_

.... I would be pretty shook if he showed up to sweep my chimney.

I feel odd about this. I feel like I've tried to mix oil and water.

To be honest, I didn't think you'd draw something for it, especially since your original was already good.  Nice job with the hair.

I see what you mean by oddity, it might be his expression. I do favor your ideas to mine, I never saw mine as adequate, but rather, theories and thoughts.
The sooty one smiles but if you ever look at Triumphant Wes, never is he shown with a smile by Klei anywhere. I think his Triumphant form is mean't to be of a serious manner somehow.  But your original fusion had more of a sly smile, which would be the proper combination of the two expressions. 

I might draw out my own ideas a bit, maybe it would help convey them and aid us in finding a good mix for him. If a good mix is even possible.
Maybe the difference with this one is that it's a favor of the sweep instead of triumphant?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

To be honest, I didn't think you'd draw something for it, especially since your original was already good.  Nice job with the hair.

Recently, I've been in a "if it inspires me enough I'll draw it" phase. Indeed, I would be more likely to draw my original, since I prefer that sort of aesthetic. 

Thank you! It was interesting to mix the messiness with the fiery...ness of the two hairstyles.

his expression.

That's an interesting point! I never thought about it that way, though that slyness seemed to suit him, as opposed to a sharp grin or a frown.

I might draw out my own ideas a bit, maybe it would help convey them and aid us in finding a good mix for him. If a good mix is even possible.
Maybe the difference with this one is that it's a favor of the sweep instead of triumphant?

Please do! I'd be interested to see it.

Indeed... Finding a balance between... chaotic forces is such a task. 

• Like 1

So I was playing with a good friend of mine (who mains Wendy and is Very Good and Experienced at playing DS/T, unlike me)

23731dee_6c70_4336_99f2_10a0ee7f8c12_by_

(ok it's very sketchy because I just wanted to get the idea out and I might edit this later with a cleaner version but)

We had a good time. While this is a simplified version of the course of events (they gave me some green caps in the daytime and it was barely not enough to drive me insane, we debated whether or not I should eat the last green cap, I ate it and hit bottom sanity, killed a bunch of shadow creatures and was no longer insane, night fell, and I stood at the edge of darkness until I was insane enough to kill more shadow creatures). I was indeed laughing maniacally while standing at the edge of darkness.

I then proceeded to whack many shadow creatures with pot roast, and my friend had at them with their glittering walking cane.

Edited by Auspice
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Auspice said:

So I was playing with a good friend of mine (who mains Wendy and is Very Good and Experienced at playing DS/T, unlike me)

This is very funny! Don't worry, I didn't actually notice the sketchy-ness that much, it did well to convey things.

I was sitting here on the thread examining our Wes-theories again and sketching out my idea... Then this came.

It reminds me of when I did the very same thing to go crazy, stand in the darkness and flick on a torch for less than a second right as I hear Charlie.   After going entirely insane, no insanity creatures appeared for me or my friend, though I think I was the only insane one. I continued to remain insane for as long as possible to try and get them, but none.
I stayed at 0 sanity for the whole of an in-game season, that spring, trying to get nightmare fuel and being weirdly cursed. I wonder if it was a bug. It was kind of funny to run around, 100% crazy, just doing my usual chores like picking the crops and acting as if nothing were different at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

This is very funny! Don't worry, I didn't actually notice the sketchy-ness that much, it did well to convey things.

Heh, thank you! I feel like this is something Wilson would totally do. For science. I'm glad the sketchiness didn't bother you haha

7 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

I was sitting here on the thread examining our Wes-theories again and sketching out my idea... 

Oho. Ohohohoho.

7 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

It reminds me of when I did the very same thing to go crazy, stand in the darkness and flick on a torch for less than a second right as I hear Charlie.   After going entirely insane, no insanity creatures appeared for me or my friend, though I think I was the only insane one. I continued to remain insane for as long as possible to try and get them, but none.
I stayed at 0 sanity for the whole of an in-game season, that spring, trying to get nightmare fuel and being weirdly cursed. I wonder if it was a bug. It was kind of funny to run around, 100% crazy, just doing my usual chores like picking the crops and acting as if nothing were different at all.

Aha. Darkness is very useful. You do get the same sanity lowering by standing at the edge of darkness without Charlie attacking you, though - I prefer that to using a torch. 

That is very curious. I did get to zero sanity when I got rekt by the Sealnado chasing me around all night during a lightning storm (and I without a torch) and escaped to another island, managing to get some twigs and flint and logs for basics without the shadow creatures bothering me for a bit. I was able to kill a few, but then the hounds came. And the terrorbeaks. I couldn't find my backpack of Stuff because Sealnado flung it into the darkness. Too many things at once, and I perished. Twas a sad life.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Auspice said:

For science

Definitely.

Darkness is very useful. You do get the same sanity lowering by standing at the edge of darkness without Charlie attacking you, though - I prefer that to using a torch. 

Ah. I don't think I ever thought about that. Well, I've never had Charlie kill me when farming insanity either. I wonder if it's just as fast? I'll have to see sometime.

Too many things at once, and I perished. Twas a sad life.

Sometimes Shipwrecked seems harsher than the normal game, probably because of the islands and ocean. Your health it immediately reduced to your boat durability every time you get on the water. That and, boats take a while to start going quickly, so they can easily be stun-locked if attacked. 

Once I was going about intending to start a longer run in Shipwrecked, the world was about up to day 30, and I was waiting, ready, to fight the sealnado when it came.
But floatyboatyknights had been cruel and still none appeared, despite me constantly murdering jellyfish in my attempt to make them come. One day, my last day, I went out to check if they were there yet, and just chose to use my half-durability surfboard because I wasn't going far and I only wanted to check. As usual, none at all. So I started killing some jellyfish since some were hanging around, and then - A crocodog and a seahound. I started to surf away but the crocodog got me at least once, and my surfboard was down to one point of durability.
I was close to shore so I was like 'c'mooooooonnnnn' and then that last point exhausted itself naturally as boat durability does slowly decline... So close to shore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gallusvarius said:

Sometimes Shipwrecked seems harsher than the normal game

Mm, indeed. It's very fun though.

1 hour ago, gallusvarius said:

So close to shore. 

Noooooo that is a big rip. 

I actually had no idea what the effects killing jellyfish would have. The first time I killed one, I was smack in the middle of the ocean and got overwhelmed by the sea hounds. The second time I came by later and saw a knight and was like NOW YOU SHOW UP after I had three runs without getting any gears. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Auspice said:

I actually had no idea what the effects killing jellyfish would have

For Floaty Boaty Knights - Killing any oceanic animal will summon them, last I checked. They appear to defend the creatures, I guess?

Eating food or dropping meat or edible food that a carnivore eats has a chance to spawn seahounds and crocodogs. When you kill any jellyfish, it's item-dead-body drops in the water and has a chance to summon them.

Fishing in shoals can also summon them. These things - eating, fishing - can also summon/spawn the tiger-shark. The Tiger, however, tends to be pretty nice. 
The season affects whether Tiger can spawn. In Monsoon, she's always somewhere in the world and may be randomly encountered.  She goes out of her way to kill crocodogs and jellyfish and other sea animals but, for whatever reason, she's never attacked me unprovoked. Tiger sharks can also kill sealnado, once one was accidentally spawned by someone when they ate on the water while escaping sealnado, and the two giants fought. Tiger won.  (Makes sense? Sharks hunt seals in our world...)   However, with spawning the tiger shark being difficult by these random chances, it's not a valid way to deal with sealnado... 
If you fight with the tiger shark and are winning, they retreat on low health, so it's not easy to kill them. You have to find their nest. In monsoon season, the next has little Sharkittens hanging around, thus why I call the Tigershark 'She.' According to the wiki, she'll feed them 'bile-covered slop' now and then, but I've never seen it. I also always kill the tiger shark when I'm at the den, so that's probably why. 
Tigersharks retreat to their den when wounded, and also, if you get close to it when the babies are around, the mother will quickly appear and try to attack. 

I agree, Shipwrecked is very fun. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

For Floaty Boaty Knights - Killing any oceanic animal will summon them, last I checked. They appear to defend the creatures, I guess?

Eating food or dropping meat or edible food that a carnivore eats has a chance to spawn seahounds and crocodogs. When you kill any jellyfish, it's item-dead-body drops in the water and has a chance to summon them.

Interesting... I didn't know about the eating part.

9 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

the tiger-shark

I still haven't encountered her! Thanks for the info. I definitely need to explore more...

That spawn with the Sealnado was quite fortuitous. Though, since I got demolished by it twice in a row, I created a world just to practice killing it.

• Like 1

It's been... a bit since I've last done realism, so I thought, "why not?"

price_by_frygia-dcisu4f.jpg

I've recently pulled out of some intense social anxiety, so I suppose that's where the inspiration for this came from.

I feel like... there's always something about the face. The nose... could be sharper. The mouth... there's something. Eyes... feel rather Asian. Mind you, I didn't have a face reference since my face is not at all similar to what I imagine Wilson's to be like. But I'm... fairly satisfied with how this turned out. 

EDIT: Changed the mouth. 

Edited by Auspice
  • Like 9
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Auspice said:

t's been... a bit since I've last done realism, so I thought, "why not?"

Wow! This definitely surprised me. You did pretty good with the shading in this, but the atmosphere, expression and other little things are probably what's the most impacting.    I'd say you succeeded  with the nose, too. 
The black tears from the eyes are cool too. I can see you've put you're feelings into it, and that's alright. I've had a lot of social anxiety before in the past too, so I think I know how he feels. Come to think of it, I drew a lot of black tears back then too, didn't I? Hm.

As for the face seeming Asian, I see what you mean. Though, most of your style seems to lean in the direction of the characters looking Asian a little...

I might know why the mouth feels off. When learning facial proportions from my mother, who is a much more learned artist than I, she explained that the tips/edge of the mouth of humans always seem to line up with our pupils, or the center of the eye. It's sort of something known for facial proportions by artists, I think. Here, someone did the work of drawing it for me.

Spoiler

2da4a980de7df48536626c86850ddda5--drawin

You can see other aspects, like where the eyes and mouth belong, exactly how wide the nose should be again by using the eyes, ect. 

But this still does look really cool, I don't think it cuts out of how amazing it looks either way. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

Wow! This definitely surprised me. You did pretty good with the shading in this, but the atmosphere, expression and other little things are probably what's the most impacting. I'd say you succeeded with the nose, too. 

Thank you! I most enjoy capturing emotions in art, glad to know I've succeeded.

The black tears from the eyes are cool too. I can see you've put you're feelings into it, and that's alright. I've had a lot of social anxiety before in the past too, so I think I know how he feels. Come to think of it, I drew a lot of black tears back then too, didn't I? Hm.

: D

Black tears just seem to really capture that feeling.

As for the face seeming Asian, I see what you mean. Though, most of your style seems to lean in the direction of the characters looking Asian a little...

I must agree. Much of my artistic exposure comes from reading manga, though I am, myself, Asian. Well... Chinese in descent.

I might know why the mouth feels off. When learning facial proportions from my mother, who is a much more learned artist than I, she explained that the tips/edge of the mouth of humans always seem to line up with our pupils, or the center of the eye. It's sort of something known for facial proportions by artists, I think. Here, someone did the work of drawing it for me.

Oh! That's very helpful, thank you! I actually did learn about this in an art class I took a bit ago, but 100% forgot about it.

EDIT: OK I CHANGED THE MOUTH
I think it looks much better

Edited by Auspice

58 minutes ago, Auspice said:

I must agree. Much of my artistic exposure comes from reading manga, though I am, myself, Asian. Well... Chinese in descent.

Oh, I see! Very interesting. I always find other descents interesting, it's an interest of mine. I like diversity a lot, at least, I can say that for sure.
For me, my descent is all over the place. Some India, some old Greek, some Turkish and Ottoman, Jewish... But the majority, Scottish and Irish. 
The Indian really showed through when I was little though. People asked my parents if they adopted me.

1 hour ago, Auspice said:

Oh! That's very helpful, thank you! I actually did learn about this in an art class I took a bit ago, but 100% forgot about it.

Yeah. It's a good thing I remembered it, since I was only told once and it's been very helpful to me since. 

1 hour ago, Auspice said:

EDIT: OK I CHANGED THE MOUTH
I think it looks much better

I saw! It seems to be more expressive now, actually. He actually looks more unhappy or upset now, and with what it's mean't to convey, I'd say that's a good thing. 

• Like 1

For me, my descent is all over the place. Some India, some old Greek, some Turkish and Ottoman, Jewish... But the majority, Scottish and Irish. 
The Indian really showed through when I was little though. People asked my parents if they adopted me.

That is so cool. 

Alas.

I saw! It seems to be more expressive now, actually. He actually looks more unhappy or upset now, and with what it's mean't to convey, I'd say that's a good thing. 

Thanks! My gratitude for your advice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Szczuku said:

It's really well made but... Wilson looks like a child. At least for me. Still- very good

It might be that his face is supposed to be tilted downward, I think it is from what I saw. That will flatten the dimensions of the face a little, things like eye, nose, and mouth placement. 

• Thanks 1