So...this game is dead?

I am fed up.  There hasnt been word one about this game in over a year. Not even an occasional "dont worry we are still working on it", nothing. 

They keep giving us BS bait and switch dates.  Probably because they know if they told us the real release date no one would follow this fiasco any more.  Which is pretty much where I am at. 

They either over-promised and refuse to own up to it, or this is a super ****ty disingenuous marketing technique.

Either way, I am done.

• Developer

Klei has always worked like this. They let us know something is being worked on as soon as they are sure they're going to release it, then estimate a time date (which is rarely right) for the release.

Klei wants their games to have the best quality, so that's why they take much longer to release their stuff. I know the waiting gets annoying, I also can't wait for this game to be released and the wait kills the hype, but there's nothing else we can do.

The game WILL be released, it's just a matter of waiting. Though I agree, updates would be great, at least a "Hey guys, how are you? The game is going good" post. They used to give us developer insights during DST's development and I REALLY miss those.

It's notoriously hard to predict how long a big project will take, so it's perfectly normal that they can't give us a date until they're sure it will be ready. I also suspect that they might not release it as early as Oxygen Not Included or Don't Starve because, since it's an RPG, it might be more important for us to get a complete experience.

18 hours ago, Petzi said:

It's notoriously hard to predict how long a big project will take, so it's perfectly normal that they can't give us a date until they're sure it will be ready. I also suspect that they might not release it as early as Oxygen Not Included or Don't Starve because, since it's an RPG, it might be more important for us to get a complete experience.

That makes a lot of sense,  we know at least its still a live project at least since they mention it on stream. Also consider that currently they have two games in early access right now which would be a good reason to not want to share much on griftlands.

On ‎11‎.‎07‎.‎2018 at 4:24 PM, Ahpook said:

I am fed up.  There hasnt been word one about this game in over a year. Not even an occasional "dont worry we are still working on it", nothing. 

They keep giving us BS bait and switch dates.  Probably because they know if they told us the real release date no one would follow this fiasco any more.  Which is pretty much where I am at. 

They either over-promised and refuse to own up to it, or this is a super ****ty disingenuous marketing technique.

Either way, I am done.

So you went through the registration on this forum just to tell us that you don't want to be here anymore? Kinda illogical :)

It's silly to say "be patient" when the company themselves advertised it on Steam as an early 2018 release.   Quietly changed it to 2nd quarter 2018 release.  Quietly changed it again to 2018 release.  If they advertised a release date that was too early, that is on them, not on the fans to whom they were advertising the game.

One thing is “making game takes years” and second thing is to release one picture of some art or something once a month or once in 6 months or once ina a year for gods sake. There is absolutely zero reasons not to say anything or show us anything

i own all Klei games and they are amazing IMO but this is too much. Same with MOTN remaster. No info at all. I miss the times when they had road maps and were releasing all crazy artworks which i actually collected or made puzzles time to time. 

Count me +1 to pissed people

• Developer

I think everyone is pretty calm so far.

And although I agree with what you say @Tolham, I'll counter that with something I've been saying for a long time: if it's not close to completion, don't announce it. I think that'd stop people from getting annoyed and all the hype kill the wait causes.

So the dates put out have been:

Late 2017/Early 2018

Early 2018

Sometime 2018

And now...?

Now its late 2018 and there is still no update.  At all.  Of any kind.  Who wants to take bets on what the next bait and switch date will be?

Early 2019?  Late 2019?  Maybe just never mind...?

• Developer
22 hours ago, Ahpook said:

Maybe just never mind...?

No, Klei always releases a project after it's officially announced. It's coming, we just don't know when.

Look at Hot Lava, it was promissed way back in 2016, and we only got a beta 2 years later. The only exception was that we were told informat possible dates by one of the devs, nothing on Steam about when the beta was coming.

I do see where you're coming from, though. I think Klei should announce things either when they're sure it's close to release or then not promise a date at all.

1 hour ago, ImDaMisterL said:

I do see where you're coming from, though. I think Klei should announce things either when they're sure it's close to release or then not promise a date at all.

No this is not the problem. Problem is absolutely ZERO info/text/picture/whatever between first announcement and whatever is next. It is like FOREVEEEER since they said anything about it. I have no idea what kind of weird strategy this is because it takes couple seconds and no work at all to put some concept art or WHATEVER in forums time to time

This is not what Klei was about before with their other games man! Even Hot lava had some info/picture time to time trough that time. NOW? I cant even get answer if it is still coming to mac or what although they said it was. And AGAIN it is not a problem if it is not coming. Problem is that they didnt write "we got into some issues with mac version so it will come later" or "we thought it will be easy peasy to make mac version but the scale of this game prevents that and we postpone that into future ... maybe"

Seriously wtf

I don't mind waiting a little bit longer for the game to be released. I am sure it is going to be worth it. There are plenty of other games to play in the meantime and i think that there is nothing wrong with having something to look forward to.

Archived