The Gorge Tournament

JoeW

7 minutes ago, ZomBKiller said:

They're just Gold versions of existing Portraits and icons 

for THIS event, but if they keep doing this, who is to say they wont' start doing unique rewards that cuts out all collectors? I'm all for top winning teams getting things, like now how they can get all the items or a large amount of chests to open, but I've never liked the idea of exclusive cosmetics 

1 minute ago, Jynn said:

for THIS event, but if they keep doing this, who is to say they wont' start doing unique rewards that cuts out all collectors? I'm all for top winning teams getting things, like now how they can get all the items or a large amount of chests to open, but I've never liked the idea of exclusive cosmetics 

I could agree with. I just wish there's a way to earn it , not being the best of the best. Abit stress out oof

3 minutes ago, SavageLemon said:

perhap something to do with the age?

It probably has something to do with different steam accounts and where people can share their games, one being a "parent" account and the others are "child" accounts.

1 minute ago, Jynn said:

I can understand your worries and I hope they won't be true. 

Currently it seems they only give out portraits and icons, which honestly doesn't really bother me being exclusive, we barely see them. But if it were a wearable skin or a craftable that looks amazing, that would be a shame (imagine if the Gorge fridge skin were exclusive!). But good it's not the case. 

7 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Probs gonna be like stone or something

Stone soup icon? Yes, please. I will gladly be a participant if that's what the participation reward is.

I'm honestly amazed that there isn't a profile icon of this yet considering what a staple meal it's become.

1 minute ago, Extant said:

Stone soup icon? Yes, please. I will gladly be a participant if that's what the participation reward is.

I'm honestly amazed that there isn't a profile icon of this yet considering what a staple meal it's become.

Stone soup? I never make that stuff. I know it's super easy to make, but I just rush potatoes. Haven't found much need for it.

1 minute ago, Catteflyterpill said:

Stone soup? I never make that stuff. I know it's super easy to make, but I just rush potatoes. Haven't found much need for it.

It's a lot more useful when Wes isn't on the team and for fast runs with as little meals needed, but there are lots of alternatives.

I just know it's become popular enough among the average gorge players to be a meme at this point.

This is kind of nitpicky, but I wonder how the last of the Bronze winners will be decided. It is determined by the top 100 players, not the top teams. Assuming that all teams have three players, the top 99 people (33 teams) would get bronze, but then would only one person from the 100th team get a prize? They will probably just reward everyone on the team.

The prizes just seem like bonus awards for the top % of players who were already good at the Gorge. I don't mind that but giving them exclusive cosmetics that I will never be able to obtain (I have real life obligations and can't devote the time to DST) is annoying.

Even though I disagree with the exclusive cosmetics I was hoping that there would be a replay system so that way Klei (and other content creators) could cast the matches since spectating is a large part of e-sports (and is content that the 99% of players who don't play competitively could consume and enjoy). Seeing as there is no replay/way to spectate the matches the Gorge "tournament" just seems like a glorified ranking system with special rewards. Absolutely underwhelming.

I understand this is the first time you guys at Klei have done anything remotely related to competitive play with DST but I would hardly call what you guys have created a "tournament." No ability to spectate/cast matches (outside of live streaming) means that this is new content for only for the top 100 players (which, if my math is correct, is .00083% of the active playerbase totaling 11973 according to Steamcharts.) If you guys are serious about doing future competitive DST content make sure that the tournament has content the entire player base can enjoy. You guys have left well over 99.99% of the player base with absolutely no reason to care about the "tournament" and the math I use is likely horribly inaccurate so the number of players could be even more(RIP Steamspy.)

Edit: To be fair to Klei these things take a lot of time and work and its a good first step but its not anything I would remotely even consider a tournament. Hopefully you get the feedback you need to do better tournaments in the future. Hopefully this works into something better.

klei should make an update of achievements not a ranking, that if you make a certain achievement you get the exclusive portrait.

This would give everyone the chance to win something bigger.

GOLD - Make all the 70 recipes in one match: Exclusive Gold Portrait, Exclusive Gold Icon, 30 the Gorge chests.

SILVER - Make 100 recipes in one match: Exclusive Silver Portrait, Exclusive Silver Icon, 20 The Gorge chests

BRONZE - make earn all achivments:  Exclusive Bronze Icon and 10 Gorge Chests.

2 minutes ago, Shpee said:

welp, gonna take my participation trophy and watch as all the people that got 6 hour runs take everything else.

Aw. I'm not sure how long ago you last checked the leader board, but these days the top runs are around 1.5-2 hour runs.

Klei greatly changed how the points system works, but yeah, gold/silver and even bronze seems out-of-reach for many players.

You can always try though!

1 minute ago, Extant said:

Aw. I'm not sure how long ago you last checked the leader board, but these days the top runs are around 1.5-2 hour runs.

Klei greatly changed how the points system works, but yeah, gold/silver and even bronze seems out-of-reach for many players.

You can always try though!

never said i wasn't gonna try, just feels like going for anything past bronze is futile.

1 hour ago, MrKoopa said:

It probably has something to do with different steam accounts and where people can share their games, one being a "parent" account and the others are "child" accounts.

I got my account from the bonus account that came with my friend's purchase... Does that mean I don't have even a chance to enter because of that..? If it was to keep from using multiple accounts to win the skins it'd be pretty redundant as the event skins are all untradable and unmarketable..

7 minutes ago, Atkvin said:

I got my account from the bonus account that came with my friend's purchase... Does that mean I don't have even a chance to enter because of that..? If it was to keep from using multiple accounts to win the skins it'd be pretty redundant as the event skins are all untradable and unmarketable..

no, that'd be a bonus copy of the game given to you for your friends purchase, so it's not what they're talking about

what they're talking about is family sharing. So one person owns DST, but they family share with another person, so THAT Person can play DST as well, but that second person won't be eligible for the tournament, only the person that actually owns the game. 

Looking forward to trying (and failing) at whatever the categories are for these rewards. I'd love that silver portrait (I think gold is very much out of my reach) but we'll have to see if I can get some skillful people together (who want me, my level leaves much to be desired).

I hope that whatever you decide to do for this tournament, you decide to disable all mods for it.

There are some of them out there that are just too ridiculously OP.

Even all my experience up till now doesn't hold a birthday candle to someone that can auto-dig 4 sets of till'd earth perfectly and then wickerbottom the entire field of wheat... or even worse, someone who has the exact timing of salt, sap, or upcoming cravings.

4 hours ago, JoeW said:

We wanted to give out merch as a prize, but the laws are scary

Laws are scary Joe, stay away from them.

5b440a09b90a6_ezgif.com-add-text(1).gif.3a0c37f8c8399d553ce19434c2fab927.gif

15 minutes ago, MrMofolz said:

I hope that whatever you decide to do for this tournament, you decide to disable all mods for it.

There are some of them out there that are just too ridiculously OP.

Even all my experience up till now doesn't hold a birthday candle to someone that can auto-dig 4 sets of till'd earth perfectly and then wickerbottom the entire field of wheat... or even worse, someone who has the exact timing of salt, sap, or upcoming cravings.

How is it OP to have a mod that allows for strategic plot placement? You could just also use mods if you'd like to. 

I wouldn't want to be kicked off of the scoreboard because I used the status announcements mod to quickly tell my team mate that I already have a pack of tomato seeds.

This sort of thing it's either all mods are allowed, or no mods are allowed. Which wouldn't make sense because mods are already allowed in the Gorge as is, however it's STRONGLY discouraged.

5 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

How is it OP to have a mod that allows for strategic plot placement? You could just also use mods if you'd like to. 

I wouldn't want to be kicked off of the scoreboard because I used the status announcements mod to quickly tell my team mate that I already have a pack of tomato seeds.

This sort of thing it's either all mods are allowed, or no mods are allowed. Which wouldn't make sense because mods are already allowed in the Gorge as is, however it's STRONGLY discouraged.

Very OP. It allows multiple people to go to sleep while completing the event. Basically Botting. When a script tills the ground in place of you having to actually till the ground yourself, that's botting.

That's why I think it should be modless entirely.  Just have a warning message or something pop up saying "tournmanet submisions require modless" or something. You have to understand, 100% of the top current 100 teams use the same auto-farm, auto-chop, and auto-NPC mods. It's not their skill that's getting recognized, it's their programs that are cutting them free time to get higher rewards and enabling them to be in the top 100.

my stance is no mods. This would make it fair to everyone. Especially since mods are unsupported 3rd party things. if the top 100 tournament winners are 3rd party support programs, that'd make for a pretty boring tournament =p

Just now, MrMofolz said:

Very OP. It allows multiple people to go to sleep while completing the event. Basically Botting. When a script tills the ground in place of you having to actually till the ground yourself, that's botting.

That's why I think it should be modless entirely.  Just have a warning message or something pop up saying "tournmanet submisions require modless" or something. You have to understand, 100% of the top current 100 teams use the same auto-farm, auto-chop, and auto-NPC mods. It's not their skill that's getting recognized, it's their programs that are cutting them free time to get higher rewards and enabling them to be in the top 100.

my stance is no mods. This would make it fair to everyone. Especially since mods are unsupported 3rd party things. if the top 100 tournament winners are 3rd party support programs, that'd make for a pretty boring tournament =p

You can't bot this sort of thing, it requires you to be actively there in the lobby; doing 6 hour runs is no longer viable m8, and sleeping for an hour isn't sleeping.

Just so ya know, the auto-action mod is quite unstable, and causes a skyrocket in disconnects and rubber banding. It also slows down how fast you can move in general for some reason...

I'm fine with the auto-tilling thing, for one it eliminates the finicky nature of that stupid farm tiles. Time is everything now, and the people who are at the top are mostly people who have refined their reflexes to the point of esport perfection. It's just evening the odds y'know. I don't wanna risk carpal tunnel for a participation trophy.

Spoiler

TL;DR just give me the geometric placement thingy for the farm tiles, the one where it snaps tilling to a grid, it just makes things so much better.

1 hour ago, TylerTheDragon said:

Looking forward to trying (and failing) at whatever the categories are for these rewards. I'd love that silver portrait (I think gold is very much out of my reach) but we'll have to see if I can get some skillful people together (who want me, my level leaves much to be desired).

Same. Finna put a post on the forums, "Looking for a skilled group willing to carry some incompetent nubs into the limelight".

With all of the solo strat topics I figured that if people already are able to do it solo, they might as well do it with some scrub who can barely carry their own weight. :wilson_ecstatic:

1 minute ago, watermelen671 said:

You can't bot this sort of thing, it requires you to be actively there in the lobby; doing 6 hour runs is no longer viable m8, and sleeping for an hour isn't sleeping.

Just so ya know, the auto-action mod is quite unstable, and causes a skyrocket in disconnects and rubber banding. It also slows down how fast you can move in general for some reason...

I'm fine with the auto-tilling thing, for one it eliminates the finicky nature of that stupid farm tiles. Time is everything now, and the people who are at the top are mostly people who have refined their reflexes to the point of esport perfection. It's just evening the odds y'know. I don't wanna risk carpal tunnel for a participation trophy.

Hide contents

TL;DR just give me the geometric placement thingy for the farm tiles, the one where it snaps tilling to a grid, it just makes things so much better.

none of what you've said makes it any better :)

botting is still botting. When the player doesn't perform an action, and the machine performs the action for them, it's no longer the player performing the action. if klei wanted those types of bot programs to be in the top 100, they would have already revealed what the tournament requirements are... but they are specifically withholding that an extra day until it starts. That to me symbolizes they DON'T want pre-programmed runs to automatically have the advantage over normal people.

Let me restate this. The ONLY thing that mods will help, are pre-programmed runs, mr watermlon. Like you said yourself, this is the top 100, which means the people involved have everything to esports perfection, which means that they RELY on systems to make things easier. Remove the system, aka mods, and you once again have chances for people that are more determined to score just as high without said perfection.

There's no difference between a pre-programmed run and a youtube video. Both take the "player" concept out of the game.  I've seen bots, macros, and scripts done in online tournaments multiple times in multiple games before. It never ends well. NEVER The only way to ensure everyone gets a fair chance is to disable all of that stuff.

Just now, MrMofolz said:

none of what you've said makes it any better :)

botting is still botting. When the player doesn't perform an action, and the machine performs the action for them, it's no longer the player performing the action. if klei wanted those types of bot programs to be in the top 100, they would have already revealed what the tournament requirements are... but they are specifically withholding that an extra day until it starts. That to me symbolizes they DON'T want pre-programmed runs to automatically have the advantage over normal people.

Let me restate this. The ONLY thing that mods will help, are pre-programmed runs, mr watermlon. Like you said yourself, this is the top 100, which means the people involved have everything to esports perfection, which means that they RELY on systems to make things easier. Remove the system, aka mods, and you once again have chances for people that are more determined to score just as high without said perfection.

There's no difference between a pre-programmed run and a youtube video. Both take the "player" concept out of the game.  I've seen bots, macros, and scripts done in online tournaments multiple times in multiple games before. It never ends well. NEVER The only way to ensure everyone gets a fair chance is to disable all of that stuff.

It's late and my brain is sludge, lemme rest up and hopefully I'll be able to explain myself better. :drunk:

Archived